National Blood Donor Month
Give Blood, Save Lives
Due to an increase in illness during the winter months and inclement weather conditions, blood donations decline and demand increases. Millions of people including cancer patients, organ recipients, and victims of accidents rely on blood donations. This month, consider making an appointment to donate, blood donation is safer than ever and you will help save lives!
Blood Donation Statistics
- Every 2 seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood and/or platelets.
- Approximately 29,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U. S.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 units of blood.
- Blood and platelets cannot be manufactured; they can only come from volunteer donors.
- One donation can potentially save up to three lives.
Where to Donate
Pittsford Public Library
Friday, January 7th
24 State St.
Pittsford, NY 14534
10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Cheshire Volunteer Fire
Saturday, January 8th
4285 Route 21 South
Canandaigua, NY 14424
9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Pavilion Fire Department
Monday, January 10th
11302 S Lake Rd.
Pavilion, NY 14525
1:30 PM – 7:00 PM
Macedon Public Library
Friday, January 14th
30 Main St.
Macedon, NY 14502
10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Henrietta Blood Donation
Wednesday, January 19th
825 John St.
West Henrietta, NY 14586
11:30 AM – 7:30 PM
New Year, New Connections!
Smola Consulting Wellness Instagram Page
Our new Instagram will feature a year-long program titled 'The Weekly LEAP'. LEAP stands for: Learn, Eat, Act & Play. In The Weekly LEAP we offer recommendations for experiencing a chosen well-being topic using micro-actions to influence long term behavior change. Applying the micro-actions in the categories of nutrition, acts of kindness/gratitude/self-care, and physical activity will help support a fun and holistic exploration within each topic.
What's great about The Weekly LEAP is that you can bookmark, share and practice the LEAP's that work well for you. If the LEAP or actions suggested doesn't pique your interest, no worries, come back the following week for a new opportunity to explore!
Take a sneak peak at The Weekly LEAP in the video embedded below and don't forget to follow us on Instagram at Smola_Consulting_Wellness!
2022 Wellness Speaker Series
The Good Life Challenge
Smola Consulting is offering another opportunity to participate in The Good Life Challenge! Join us from January 10th through January 19th for this 10-day whole food plant-based diet challenge.
A whole-food, plant based diet is based on the following principles:
- Whole Food describes natural foods that are not processed. This means whole, unrefined (or minimally refined) ingredients.
- Plant-based means food that comes from plants and does NOT contain animal ingredients such as meat, milk, eggs, or honey.
What to do in the time leading up to the challenge:
- Increase your vegetable and fruit intake. By adding more produce, you will help develop a taste for plant foods and transition to a higher-fiber diet. Be open to discovering new items in your produce section.
- Fill at least 3/4 your plate (or more!) with produce, grains or beans, and begin downsizing your meat serving. Make a large salad or swap in chopped mushrooms or tofu for half of the ground meat you'd normally use in tacos or chili.
- If you include meat in your meals, stick to small amounts and choose lean cuts. First, focus on decreasing the amount of processed meat you eat (bacon, hot dogs, and sausage).
- Plan out a few plant-based meals each week where you eat no meat, fish, dairy, or eggs. Ease into it and be sure to give your body extra time to prepare!