CRATER LAKE ACADEMY
MARCH 2023 - EXPLORERS
Message From the Principal
This last month has been a whirlwind of activity on campus and as we roll into March this trend will continue. Our week has been very full with the Book Fair going on, a snow day, Scholar recognition assembly, and Literacy night. Later this month we will be having our Spring Parent Teacher Conferences. Please click on the links further down in this newsletter to schedule a time to meet with our teachers on March 22nd or 23rd. We're excited to meet with you to discuss your scholars progress and collaborate to guide them towards success as we work through this school year.
K-5 families we need your help as our scholars are having some struggles with bringing Pokemon cards and other toys to school. These items have been causing some unfortunate conflicts on the playground and in our classrooms. Please visit with your child about keeping these special items at home so that they can continue to focus on their learning and not negotiating the next big Pokemon card (or toy) trade.
Middle School families we could use your assistance in supporting our scholars who bring phones to school. During outside breaks they have been allowed to access their devices, but this has been bringing negative activities that are occurring outside of school to our campus. This in turn has been disrupting scholar learning. Remember you can always contact our front office and we're able to get messages to your child with minimal disruption. With a few conversations both at home and here at school I believe we can guide our scholars towards using these devices in ways that won't cause disruptions and upset feelings. Please feel free to contact me or your scholar's teacher with any questions or concerns. Thanks in advance for your cooperation and collaboration in these matters.
We look forward to seeing you at all our upcoming events.
Explore Kinder Night / Navigate High School
- Are you interested in hearing about the CLA programs?
- Do you have a student that will enter Kindergarten or High School in the fall?
CLA has two evenings specifically tailored to incoming students or students transitioning to our High School Program ~ Explore Kinder and Navigate High School.
Explore Kinder is an open house style evening. Scholars and their parents can stop in to tour the campus, receive a goody bag, participate in assessment style activities and wrap up with cookies and milk in our cafeteria! Mark your calendars for Thursday, March 16th at 5:30-6:30pm on our K8 campus at 585 Nick Young Road, Eagle Point.
Navigate High School is designed for our current 8th grade students and, families and scholars interested in the CLA High School program. Attendees will hear about the program, take a tour, then have an opportunity to visit booths with information on Student Life and Activities, Pathways Program, Graduation Planning and our Intent to Return or Intent to Enroll process. Join us Tuesday, March 21st at 6pm on our High School campus at 176 Salmon Way, White City.
If you plan to attend, please take a moment to fill out the RSVP form below. Thank you for your interest in CLA!
- February 27 - March 3 ~ Literacy Week / Scholastic Book Fair
- March 1 ~ Student of the Month Assembly @ 1:15pm
- March 1 ~ Middle School Student Leadership Meeting @ 2:00-3:00pm
- March 1 ~ First Day of Women's History Month
- March 1 ~ CLA School Board Meeting 4:30-5:30pm (Upper Rogue K-8 Campus)
- March 2 ~ Literacy Night 4:00-5:30pm
- March 2 ~ College / Career Day
- March 8 ~ Middle School Student Leadership Meeting @ 2:00-3:00pm
- March 12 ~ Daylight Savings Time begins (Spring Forward)
- March 14 ~ 100 Days of School Celebration
- March 14 ~ CIP Meeting @ K-8 Upper Rogue Campus 5:00pm-6:00pm
- March 16 ~ Explore Kinder Night 5:30-6:30pm
- March 17 ~ St. Patrick's Day
- March 21 ~ Navigate High School Night 6:00-7:00pm (for 8th graders: check out CLA's HS Campus)
- March 22 ~ Conferences (Afternoon ONLY) @ 2:30pm - 8:00pm
- March 22 ~ Middle School Student Leadership Meeting @ 2:00-3:00pm
- March 23 ~ NO SCHOOL - Conferences (All Day)
- March 24 ~ NO SCHOOL
- March 27 - March 31 ~ SPRING BREAK - NO SCHOOL
- April 5 ~ Student of the Month Assembly @ 1:15pm
- April 5 ~ PTO Meeting @ 2:15-3:15pm
- April 5 ~ Middle School Student Leadership Meeting @ 2:00-3:00pm
- April 6 ~ College / Career Day
- April 6 ~ End of 3rd Quarter
- April 7 ~ NO SCHOOL - Teacher Work Day
K-8 YEARBOOK 22-23
Order Your K-8 Yearbook Today!!!
MEMORIES ARE PRICELESS - GET THEM BEFORE THEY ARE GONE!!!
Order now to ensure your scholar gets their yearbook!!!
click on the "ORDER YEARBOOK" link below...
CONFERENCES MARCH 22nd (PM ONLY) - 23rd (All Day)
Waldon - https://calendly.com/waldon/30
- Shelton - https://calendly.com/sheltonk-1/30min
- Nelson - calendly.com/mrsnelson1/conference-with-mrs-nelson
- Williams - https://calendly.com/williams3rdgrade/fall-parent-teachers-conferences-williams
- Bilden- https://calendly.com/bildenw/spring-parent-teacher-conferences-bilden
- Newberg - https://calendly.com/newbergk/spring-conferences-newberg-5th
- Breiholz - https://calendly.com/schnurb/spring-conferences-for-cla-middle-school
- Harrington - https://calendly.com/schnurb/spring-conferences-for-cla-middle-school
- Schnur - https://calendly.com/schnurb/spring-conferences-for-cla-middle-school
PTO - Updates
CLA's Parent Teacher Organization would like invite you to come check out the Scholastic Book Fair opening on February 27th and running all week through March 3rd. We will end the week with Literacy Night on March 2nd! We look forward to seeing you all!
Jenna Thomas and Angie Daniels.
REMINDER: All meetings, for the remainder of the school year, will be held the first Wednesday of each month @ 2:15 at the K-8 campus. Our next meeting is on April 5th!
Thank you so much...
- Thank you Mt. Ashland Ski Program for taking such great care of our scholars while they participated in your ski program. So much fun and so many great memories!
- Thank you to The Bug Guy for sharing with our first and fourth graders...you always do such a great job with our scholars!!!
- Thank you Rogue Threads for re-opening our CLA Swag Store…we love our SWAG!!!
- Thank you PTO for an amazing Book Fair! CLA is so appreciative for all of your hard work and for providing this special event for our scholars!!!
K8 Campus Updates
"Creativity is thinking up new things. INNOVATION is DOING new things."
- During the month of March the character trait that we'll be focusing on is INNOVATION - a new method, idea, product; the action or process on innovating.
- Each month we will have a new character trait. Please discuss what INNOVATION means to you as a family and talk about how your student can be INNOVATIVE at home, in the classroom and out in the community.
- ATTENDANCE...and the winner is...
- KINDERGARTEN had an attendance rate for February of 99.07%
- K-8 Campus with a total attendance rate of 95.63%
We are so proud of all of our scholars and parents for making such a great effort to be at school. Attendance is so important and being present is one of the components to success. Our goal is always 100% attendance...so, if your scholar is not going to be at school for the day, please make sure to contact the teacher as well as the office, to get any work assigned for that day so that you can get full attendance credit. Keep up the good work CLA scholars and parents!!!
- The winners of the SPIRIT AWARDS for FEBRUARY are:
- THE GOLDEN LUNCH TRAY - 3rd GRADE
- THE GOLDEN DUST PAN (Elementary) - 2nd GRADE
- THE GOLDEN DUST PAN (Middle School) - 8th GRADE
- THE GOLDEN WHISTLE - 1st GRADE
- THE MIDDLE SCHOOL GOLDEN PENCIL - 8th GRADE
Students of the Month
CONGRATULATIONS to all of our outstanding EXPLORERES for receiving this honor of being selected as Students of the Month for FEBRUARY!!!
Mrs. Waldon's Kindergarten Class ~ Avianna C.
Mrs. Shelton's 1st Grade Class ~ James D.
Mrs. Nelson's 2nd Grade Class ~ Vera M.
Mrs. William's 3rd Grade Class ~ Sophia D.
Mrs. Bilden's 4th Grade Class ~ Austyn J.
Ms. Newberg's 5th Grade Class ~ Alexis M.
Mrs. Breiholz's 6th Grade Class ~ Kyla D.
Mr. Harrington's 7th Grade Class ~ Jaylynn M.
Mrs. Schnur's 8th Grade Class ~ Keylan M.
College & Career Day
At CLA we have a mission that Every Student Graduates+. We want to provide experiences for our students by exposing them to different career choices. We plan to have community speakers visit throughout the year to share the path they used to get to their career, whether it was through attending college/university, trade school, or a through a different path.
So, on the first Thursday of each month, our students and staff will wear college/university gear (college logo t-shirts, lanyards, hats, etc.) or dress in the career they want to be. Example: if a student is hoping to be a firefighter in the future and they have an outfit, they are encouraged to wear it on this day!
The hope is that we help our students start think about their future!
Nutrition Department is Hiring for a Part Time Position
LOST & FOUND
Please come and check out the LOST & FOUND for any personal items that your child may be missing! Also, as the colder weather is approaching, please be sure to write your child's name on jackets, lunch boxes, water bottles, backpacks, and any other item that they could possibly lose. This helps us to return these items to their proper owners. Thanks so much for your cooperation.
DROP OFF & DISMISSAL (PICK UP)
- SO IMPORTANT WE ARE SAYING IT AGAIN:
- School Opens ~ 8:30AM Breakfast ~ 9:00AM Class begins (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday)
- School Dismissal ~ 3:00PM (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday)
- Wednesday Dismissal ~ 2:00PM
- Friday (work from home day) Please check in with your teacher to receive attendance credit.
- Bussing / Transportation ~ Please call EPSD Transportation at (541) 830-1245, if you need information about when and where your child will be picked up and dropped off via bus, before and/or after school.
**Scholars are required to have ACADEMIC PROGRESS and COMMUNICATION every day for daily attendance** PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE EVERYDAY WHEN YOUR SCHOLAR IS UNABLE TO ATTEND CLASS AND HAVE THEM LOG INTO THEIR CANVAS TO WORK FROM HOME if they are able. This information will allow us to code the absence correctly and will prevent an attendance letter from being automatically generated from the scholars profile.
Fridays will be dedicated to asynchronous (work from home) time and scheduled interventions on campus. Oregon Department of Education requires students to work Monday through Friday within their course work. Attendance will be taken on Friday based on students logging into Canvas and completing assigned work.
6-8th grade athletics are provided through a district's "home school". This is the school that a student would attend based on the locational boundary they live in. If you live in the Eagle Point School District boundaries please see the information below. If you live outside the EPSD boundaries please contact your home district for information.
2022-23 Athletic Clearance Process Update - High School & Middle School
Eagle Point School District 9 - Moving to Digital (web-based) Athletic Clearance for the 2022-23 Seasons for High School & Middle School Eagle Point School District 9 is happy to announce that we will be moving to a digital, web-based clearance process.
STAY CONNECTED ~ STUDENT & PARENT RESOURCES
Parent support is invaluable! Although they may not always act like it, your student needs you now more than ever. CLA wants to help you keep that connection. Parents have found great success using the Canvas Parent App and the Crater Lake Academy App.
CANVAS PARENT APP
Click Here to learn more about the Parent Canvas App
- Download "Canvas Parent"
- Find My School - Search for "Crater Lake Charter Academy - Parent"
- Enter your personal information to create login
- Enter "Student Pairing Code" - Contact your student's Advisor to get this code
Crater Lake Academy App
School Calendar 2022-2023
Crater Lake Academy
PO Box 947 Eagle Point, OR 97524