News from the Nest
November 20, 2020
The Week Ahead
**Week of 11/23**
Monday 11/23 - Friday 11/27 -- NO SCHOOL for Students
Monday 11/23 - Wednesday 11/25 -- Parent-Teacher Conferences, please refer to your child's specific conference time
Thursday 11/26 - Friday 11/27 -- Thanksgiving Holiday, Schools and Offices Closed
**Week of 11/30**
-- In-Person Students are virtual all week (access school via Schoology)
-- SAOA Students have no change to their weekly schedule
Monday 11/30 (Day 1)
Tuesday 12/1 (Day 2)
-- 1st Trimester Yearbook Photo Deadline (see details below)
Wednesday 12/2 (Day 3)
— Laura’s Pizza II (Tylersport) Mid-Week Break Fundraiser (see details below)
Thursday 12/3 (Day 4)
Friday 12/4 (Day 1)
In-Person Families: Virtual Learning Guidance
The following tips and guidance are provided to help your child have a successful virtual learning experience from Monday, November 30th through Friday, December 4th:
- The elementary student virtual school day is from 9:00AM to 3:10PM
- Daily attendance is taken between 8:30 and 9:00AM - Your child’s teacher will post a Schoology Discussion Question at 8:30AM in their SCI/SS/ HR Course. Be sure that your child answers the Schoology Discussion Question by 9:00AM. Students will be marked absent from school if they do not respond to the Schoology Discussion Question and attend the virtual Morning Meeting at 9:00AM. If you experience trouble answering the Schoology Discussion Question, please e-mail your child’s teacher by 9:00AM.
- Students are expected to attend all synchronous (live) teaching sessions throughout the school day. Your child’s teacher will provide a list of all synchronous teaching times.
- Students are expected to attend all of their specials. These will be taught synchronously (live) by our specialists.
- Your child's teacher will provide breaks (i.e. recess, snack, etc.) throughout the day.
- Your child must be reported absent if they are unable to participate in virtual learning due to an illness. To report an absence, call Vernfield at 215-721-0606 (choose option 2) or email: AttendVF@soudertonsd.org or email@example.com
Establishing a Virtual Learning Space at Home
- Help your child establish an appropriate virtual learning space at home.
- Your child’s learning space should be free of distractions and interruptions such as the television, pets, background noise, etc.
Engaging in Learning
- Practice logging into Schoology at home, prior to November 30.
- Help your child, particularly those in K, 1, and 2, to login to Schoology each morning.
- Younger students, particularly those in K, 1, and 2, may require parental or adult guidance or support throughout the school day.
- Students should have their cameras on during live instruction with their teacher.
- Teachers and students have been provided with various online resources and apps to enhance their virtual learning experience. Students might be assigned work on these programs as part of their school day.
- Your child must sign on to Microsoft Teams correctly using their school issued device. This will ensure that your child has full functionality of programs provided by Souderton Area School District.
SASD Tech Tips and Student Help Desk
In-Person Virtual Learning: LIVE Sessions with your Teacher!
- Children must use their Microsoft login and password.
- One of the most important aspects of synchronous learning is having your child sign onto Teams and Microsoft correctly. This process will ensure your child has full functionality of the entire District supported Office Suite.
- Once your child is signed in correctly it is important to remember that when clicking on meeting links, be sure to open in the app for optimal performance and accessibility.
Scan the QR Code to access TEAMS Tips on Log-in (Takes you to a video on how to log into Teams)
Mid-Week Break: Family Dinner Nights
Our next partnership is with Laura's Pizza, and will be at Laura's Pizza II in Tylersport on Wednesday, December 2nd. To order, please call (215)257-5520 and mention that you are with Vernfield. Laura's will be very generously donating 10% of their sales that evening. Thank you for your support of both HSA and a local business!
If you have any questions, please contact Diane Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vernfield Angel Tree
Dear Vernfield Families and Friends,
Thank you for your generosity during this Holiday Season! Please view the list of gifts below and sign up next to the item(s) that you would like to donate. Gift tags with corresponding item numbers will be sent home with your child or mailed to you. Once you have purchased and wrapped your gift, please attached your gift tag to the present and contact me at email@example.com. I will coordiante drop-off times with you. Once we are back in session, please feel free to drop off your donations in the main lobby at Vernfield, or send in with your student. *Please have gifts turned in by Monday, December 14.
Thank you again for actively making the holidays brighter!
Yearbook Photo - Deadline 12/1
**Please be sure to include your child's name and teacher with the photo, and choose the best photos instead of sending many of the same activity.**
If you have class photos from the teachers' Schoology or Seesaw pages, you are welcome to submit those as well.
KidStuff Books Still Available!
KidStuff/SaveAround Fundraiser – there’s still time to order books!
Are you preparing your gift list and trying so save money? Perhaps your kids are like mine and reading 5 books a week and a Barnes and Noble coupon could save you some money. I have already saved more than the $25 I paid for the book with the Dick’s Sporting Good coupon. There’s still time to snag a KidStuff coupon book and share with family and friends so they can save money too.
Follow these simple instructions to get your book today:
- Visit https://www.supportourgroups.com/GN/267062
- Select “Register as a Seller”
- Fill out your personal information
- You’ll be provided with your unique seller URL
- Copy and paste this URL into your email, FB, etc. and share it with the same family and friends you had previously shared the fundraiser with (or new ones from around the country since there are books for many states and areas).
- After clicking on your personal seller link, the buyer just needs to pick which area book they’d like to purchase, choose “Add to Cart”, “Proceed to Checkout” (or continue shopping if they want books for multiple areas), and fill in their shipping address and credit card information.
- The book will ship directly to the buyer!
If you have any questions, please contact Betsy Powlus at 215-513-1084 or firstname.lastname@example.org
In Case You Missed It
STUDENT DEVICE TECHNICAL SUPPORT:
Before submitting a support request, please follow the three (3) steps below:
- Restart your device (power off and power back on).
- Check that your device is not in airplane mode.
- Check that the wireless connection is enabled.
Please see the Instructional Technology Learning Hub for more details and support topics.
Save the Date!
-- Dec. 14 - 18 -- Be the "I" in Kind Spirit Week!
- Monday: VF Spirit Day! Wear blue and gold or VF Spirit Wear
- Tuesday: Favorite Sports Team Day
- Wednesday: Hat Day
- Thursday: Favorite Character Day (e.g. Disney, Star Wars, Paw Patrol)
- Friday: Crazy Socks and/or Crazy Hair Day
-- Dec. 15 -- Red Bag Exchange SAOA K, 1, 2, and siblings, 1:00 - 2:30pm
-- Dec. 16 -- Red Bag Exchange SAOA 3, 4, 5, 1:00 - 2:30pm
-- Dec. 24 - Jan. 1 -- Christmas/Winter Holiday
SACE FALL EVENING CLASSES
Souderton Area Community Education is offering in-person and virtual evening class options for Fall 2020. There's something for everyone including languages, finance, sports, crafts, and more! Beginning September 21. All classes in Souderton Area schools will follow the District's Health and Safety Guidelines, including wearing face masks and social distancing. Registration is now open! BROCHURE | REGISTER
Easy Ways to Help Fundraise!
Please consider helping to raise funds for Home & School using the following:
- Amazon Smile: earn money for VF while shopping on Amazon! Go to smile.amazon.com/about for instructions.
- Box Tops Bonus App: Download the Box Tops Bonus App for your phone or tablet! Find offers, buy products, scan your receipt and earn even MORE box tops for Vernfield!
- Box Tops for Education: clip the 'Box Tops for Education' from participating boxes and labels! Please HOLD ON TO THESE at home until we begin collecting them at school. We will NOT be collecting physical Box Tops at this time.
- ShopRite for My School: earn Box Tops for VF while shopping at ShopRite! Register your PricePlus club card at: https://www.shopriteformyschool.com/en/Register-my-Card.
- Coca Cola Give: Sign up at https://us.coca-cola.com/give/schools/ then just scan your product or enter your product code and watch the funds grow
- Giant A+ Rewards: ***Unfortunately, the Giant Rewards program has been discontinued.***