Rice Middle School Speech Team
The team of champions!
Speech Team Google Classroom Code: dt3d8p3
You can also follow us on Twitter at RiceMSSpeech or Instagram at rmsspeech
Directions to sign up for remind are below!
After school practice
B Pattern: Oratory, Humorous Interpretation, Reader's Theatre, Musical Pantomime
C Pattern: Extemp, Prose, Duet Acting, Storytelling (6th graders only)
You can read about each event and their rules on our speech team site.
How does a tournament work?
There are 3 rounds for each event: prelims, semis and finals.
Your goal is to break out of each round and make it to finals (and hopefully place!)
Students may enter up to two events per pattern (except extemp, congress and public forum debate)
Wait, how do the sections work???
- Each room or section has a either one judge (prelims) or a panel of judges (semis and finals)
- The judge evaluates each performance and fills out a ballot for each competitor
- The room is ranked in order of what the judge preferred
So, who advances?
- The top 1-3 competitors in a prelims section (depending on the size of the event) advance to semis.
- The top 2 in each semis round advance to finals.
- The top 3 finalists are awarded trophies.
How do they decide what school wins the tournament?
- Sweeps points are earned whenever students from your school advance to the next round and/or win a debate.
- Debate win=2 pts. Semis=5 pts.
- 1st Place=25 pts. 2nd Place=20 pts. 3rd Place=15 pts. 4-6 Place=10 pts.
- The top 3 schools are awarded trophies.
Okay, I wanna do this....this is definitely for me....what do I do now?
You can also find A LOT more important information on our site.
I registered, now what?
You will be notified that registration for a tournament is open through the announcements and through remind (more on that later), you will not be signed up for an event before registration opens. Registration for tournament will be completed through a google form that will be available on the speech team site.
Our team is only allowed 10 entries per event, per tournament. First come, first served.
Tournament Spots are Limited
Can I start preparing now?
Do I have to get my piece approved for tournament?
We Love 6th graders!
My parents and I need help remembering stuff....can you help?
I will be using www.remind.com to send out reminder texts for pertinent information regarding tournaments and meetings that come up during the school year. If you and your parents would like to receive these messages please follow the following instructions. Please make sure that you are entering the correct code!
To receive notifications by text:
1. Send a text to this number: 81010
2. With this code in the message box: @ricespeech
To receive notifications by email:
1. Send an email to email@example.com.
2. To unsubscribe, reply with 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
- It is very important to read over your event rules (otherwise you could be disqualified)
- You have a 30 second "grace period" should you go over your time
- Ballots will be handed out the Monday following the tournament
- Do not enter a room if a judge is not present
- Inform the judge in both rooms that you are cross-entered (competing in two events within one pattern
- Tournaments are closed campus events for students safety, parents will only be allowed to attend the awards ceremony at the conclusion of the tournament.
- Conduct yourself professionally
- Don't leave early...go and watch events and learn!