The Tiger Times
A Note from your Assistant Principal
West Newton Family,
I hope you had a wonderful winter break with your friends and families. Each year goes by faster and faster. It is so important that you take advantage of the time you have with your loved ones.
You may have noticed some changes in my physical appearance over the last few months. I wanted to let you know that I was diagnosed with ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. ALS affects the upper and lower motor neurons which causes muscle weakness of the voluntary muscles.
It has been heartbreaking to learn of this diagnosis, but everybody faces challenges. I am very optimistic that through my age, strength, new scientific research, and a strong support system around me that I will be able to fight this disease. I am lucky to have a great support system around me. If you have any questions feel free to ask me or see attached link for more information about ALS: http://www.alsa.org/about-als/what-is-als.html.
Please talk to your child about this if you would like to do so. As this disease progresses my physical appearance will continue to change. I am happy to answer any questions you may have, and would appreciate any of your thoughts and prayers. I will continue to serve as West Newton’s Assistant Principal and together we are Decatur Proud.
West Newton Elementary
A NOTE FROM THE NURSE
Cold and Flu Reminders!
Dear Parents and guardians,
Cold and flu season is upon us! My main goal this season is to keep our West Newton students and staff as healthy as possible. I will need everyone’s help in order to accomplish this goal! The following are some reminders about illness and your children:
1) Students that have a fever above or equal to 100.0 degrees MUST STAY HOME!
2) Students cannot return to school until they have been fever free for 24 hours WITHOUT the use of medication. The Center for Disease Control recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care.
3) Students will only be sent home sick if they have a fever above or equal to 100.0, or vomiting 2x or more in 30 min and/or experiencing frequent diarrhea. If a student has a low grade temperature in the morning or has vomited/diarrhea they are most likely contagious. PLEASE KEEP THEM HOME!
4) Seek emergency medical attention if your child shows any of these symptoms:
-Fast or trouble breathing
-Bluish skin color
-Not drinking any fluids
-Not waking up or not interacting
-Flu-like symptoms resolve but then return with high fever and/or worsening cough
-Fever with a rash
5) Washing your hands is the BEST way to prevent the spread of cold and flu!!
6) Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze (try coughing into your sleeve instead of your mouth-ALWAYS wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer!
7) Please notify the school if your student has been diagnosed with influenza A and please make sure to share any doctor’s notes or medical documentation related to the illness with the school nurse.
Thank you for your help in keeping our Tiger cubs healthy and ready to learn!! J
West Newton School Nurse
Volleyball Clinic ~ 1/7/19 - 1/11/19
There will be a Girl's Volleyball League starting the week of January 14th. We offer girls the opportunity to play on a team, learn skills, and participate in game competitions. All skill levels are welcome. Sign-ups will be on Saturday, Jan.12th from Noon-2:00. The location is at the Decatur Fire Department, by Decatur Central High School.
Practice equals mastery ~ students will gain confidence and show success in the classroom. If you need help with ideas and/or strategies, contact your child's teacher.
Go to www.decaturproud.org
Click on the tab 'Families', then 'Volunteer' to submit an electronic form.
Don't have a computer, not a problem. Volunteer forms are available in the school office.
For more information contact:
Bev O'Toole 317-241-0183 or email@example.com
West Newton PTO ~ Events at a Glance
Monday, 7th - - - School Reconvenes ~ Welcome Back!
Tuesday, 8th @ 6pm - - - PTO Meeting
Friday, 18th / 6:00-8:00 - - - Movie Night
Monday, 21st - - - Snow Make-up Day
Tuesday, 5th @ 6pm - - - PTO Meeting
Friday, 15th / 6:00 - 8:00 - - - Movie Night
Friday, 22nd / 6:00 - 8:00 - - - West Newton's Got Talent
Tuesday, 5th @ 6pm - - - PTO Meeting
Friday, 8th / 5:30 - 7:30 - - - Grandparent's Night and Book Fair Grand Opening
Friday, 8th - 15th - - - Book Fair (Lunch with Someone You Love)
Thursday, 14th @ 7pm - - - 1st & 2nd Grade Program
Friday, 22nd - 29th - - - Spring Break
BOX TOPS for EDUCATION
Clipping Box Tops for Education is an easy way to help earn cash for our school. Each one is worth 10¢ for our school! Just look for the pink Box Tops on hundreds of products. All you have to do is clip them and send them to school. Your child can earn personal rewards and rewards for their class or grade level when they bring in Box Tops! For more information on Box Tops, including a list of participating products, go to BTFE.com. Be sure to sign up as a member (it’s free!) so you can check out our school’s earnings details and get access to coupons and bonus offers. You can also download the Box Tops Bonus App to earn even more money for our school.
Thank you for your support!