By Ashford Harris
It's Atomic Square
Above is the picture of chlorine's atomic square. The number 17, the atomic number, is the number of protons it has. The letter Cl, the chemical symbol, is the abbreviation of chlorine so it can easily be recognized. Finally, the number 35.45, the atomic mass, is the number of protons AND neutrons an atom has.
You are the founder!
C.W. Scheele is the founder of chlorine while in the country of Sweden. He discovered that chlorine was a gas that can be used to do many different things.
Chemicals Symbol: CL
Atomic Number: 17
Number of Protons: 17
Number of Electrons: 17
Number of Neutrons: 19
Year of Discovering: 1774
Discoverer: C.W. Scheele
Country of Discovery: Sweden
State of Matter: Gas
Type Of Element: Non-Metal
Period Number: 3
Group Number: 17
Names of Family Members: Fluorine, Bromine, and Astatine
Something They Have In Common: Reactive Non-Metals
Scary Facts About Chlorine
· Dioxin, a chemical by-product of the manufacturing of chlorine-bleached paper, is believed to be the single most carcinogenic chemical known to science.
· Cancer-causing dioxin residue from chlorine-bleaching may be found in products like coffee filters, disposable diapers, paper towels, and bathroom tissue.
· Dioxin has been linked to endometriosis, immune system impairment, diabetes, neurotoxicity, birth defects (including fetal death), decreased fertility, testicular atrophy, and reproductive dysfunction in both women and men.
· In 1997, The American Public Health Association unanimously passed are solution urging American industry to stop using the chemical chlorine.
· Chlorine vapors can irritate your lungs and pose a serious risk to people who suffer from asthma and other lung problems.
· When you open the door of your dishwasher after washing, toxic volatized chlorine from dish detergent and tap water is released into the air.
· The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has found dioxin to be 300,000 times more potent as a carcinogen than DDT.* Every year, between five and ten million poisonings are caused by household cleaning products containing toxic ingredients like chlorine.
· Studies show that forty to seventy percent of the dioxin in bleached coffee filters can leach into your coffee; dioxin found in paper milk cartons also leaches into the milk you drink.
· Thanks to chlorine pollution, Americans ingest a daily amount of dioxin that is already 300 to 600 times greater than the EPA's so-called "safe" dose.
· Pregnant women in their first trimester who drink five or more glasses of chlorinated tap water a day may be at a much higher risk of miscarriage than women who drink non-chlorinated water.
· Cancer-causing chemicals like chlorine found in many household products are readily absorbed through the skin.