Tech Updates at The Bend
September 2019 (Part 2)
Subscribe to the Cherokee Bend Calendar
*Note: For both sets of instructions, you will need this link handy (copy/paste) in order to subscribe: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/cbsenews%40student.mtnbrook.k12.al.us/private-e186f84abd558f0d34e3be0366cd76ab/basic.ics
In Outlook, click through the following path: click File > click Account Settings > select Account Settings (again) > choose the Internet Calendars tab > click New > Paste the link shared above > click Add > Name the calendar > click OK > click Close on the account settings Window
Get myViewBoard for your ViewSonic Panel
Bcc: Parent Email List
Tech Tool to Try: PRISM
Best use of teacher time in a connected world. Retrieved from https://novemberlearning.com/article/best-use-of-teacher-time-in-a-connected-world/.
Be On Guard for Unsafe Emails
Please continue to be very vigilant about emails. Mrs. LeRoux at MBE has shared excellent pro-tips for spotting harmful emails even beyond the yellow warning, including:
- Grammar errors in the text
- An email address that isn’t quite right (copies some portions of MBS email addresses, but not all)
- Claims to be responding to you on a topic you never reached out for a response for in the first place
- The text of the email is actually an image if you click on it
- They are trying to extort you for money
If you notice a warning banner and/or any of the above telltale signs be sure NOT to click links, download attachments, respond to, and/or forward. The safest route is to take a screenshot and/or print it and report it to IT Direct. Do not delete it until IT can take a look at it.
If you do click a link, download an attachment, respond to, and/or forward an email by accident that proves to be malware, ransomware, phishing scam, or spoofing be sure report it to follow these steps IMMEDIATELY:
- Power down your device and leave it off
- Change your MBS password by using a different MBS desktop and using ctrl+alt+delete to access the password change option
- Communicate directly with IT (either your Coordinator or the BOE) immediately
- Submit an IT Direct ticket with all details as soon as possible even after communicating with the Tech Team to make sure all follow-up processes run their course
These things happen. Some of these scammers are even impersonating coworkers and internal departments like our superintendent and our finance department. We are noticing an increasing amount of these in our school systems across the country. All we ask is that you are vigilant, follow safety protocols, and report any unintentional accidents immediately so we can stop threats early.