Lincoln Logan & McPherson 4-H News
May #1 2022
A Note from Miss Amber
Dear Lincoln, Logan & McPherson County 4-H Families,
Who gave it permission to snow in May?! It does not feel like is, but several deadlines are coming up soon! Please pay close attention to deadlines for your project and reach out to us if you are unsure. One coming up very soon is state/district horse Id's and entries due THIS FRIDAY! All other species county IDs and state fair nominations due June 15, along with YQCA and 4-H Enrollment.
As always, feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns,
In This Newsletter:
Showmanship Clinic - Poultry CANCELLED
2022 Teen Tractor Safety Courses
2022 County Fair Information
--Fairbooks available in office and online
--McPherson County 4-H Council Meeting
--Beef EID tags not currently available
--2022 4-H Animal Nomination/Identification Requirement
--4-H Market Animal Production Class Information
--Important 4-H Reminders
--Lincoln, Logan, & McPherson County Enrollment Resources
--YQCA Training Information and Link
2022 Show Flyers and Registration Forms
Nebraska 4-H Events
--Horse District/State Information - Deadline - Friday, May 6th by 5p.m.
--State Fair Animal Nomination
--PASE-Premier Animal Science Event
--Save the Dates
--Nebraska 4-H Summer Camps
4-H Member Spotlight
Calendar of Events:
5/3: McPherson County 4-H Council Meeting; 6p.m. at 4-H Building
5/23: YQCA training; 10a.m.-12p.m. Lincoln County Fairgrounds
5/23: Lincoln County 4-H Council Meeting; 7 p.m. Extension Office Meeting Room
6/4: Sheep and Goat Weigh in; 9-11a.m. Lincoln County Fairgrounds
6/6-6/10: District 4-H Horse Shows
6/6: Logan County 4-H Council Meeting; 6:45 pm at Fair Building
6/12: Lincoln Co. Youth Livestock Sale Committee; 2p.m. Centennial Hall
6/13: YQCA Training; 6:30p.m.-8:30p.m. Lincoln County Fairgrounds
6/22-6/23: Premier Animal Science Event (PASE)
6/24: State 4-H Public Speaking Contest
7/9-7/13: Fonner Park State 4-H Horse Expo
7/16-7/17: Lincoln County Fair 4-H Horse Show
7/18-7/24: Lincoln County Fair
8/7 -8/13: Logan County Fair
8/11-8/13: McPherson County Fair
8/26-9/5: Nebraska State Fair
9/18: Lincoln Co. Youth Livestock Sale Committee; 2p.m.Centennial Hall
2022 TEEN TRACTOR SAFETY COURSES
Annual "tractor safety" training courses are scheduled at 6 sites across Nebraska, May 25 through June 10, 2022. This certification course is designed to train students how to avoid common tractor and equipment related hazards.
Federal law prohibits children under 16 years of age from using certain equipment on a farm unless their parents or legal guardians own the farm. However, certification received through the course grants an exemption to the law allowing 14- and 15-year-olds to drive a tractor and to do field work with certain mechanized equipment.
Teens 14 or 15 years of age who work on farms, or others who are interested in learning about safe farming practices, are encouraged to register for the course.
For more information and to register visit: https://go.unl.edu/tractorsafety
2022 County Fair Information
2022 Lincoln, Logan, & McPherson County Fairbook
- The 2022 Fairbooks have arrived!!
- Enrolled members may stop in and get their copy today. Please limit 1 fairbook per family.
- Click on the button below to view the online version of the fairbook with a clickable index to take you to a specific section or page.
- Please note: the grey highlighted areas are changes/additions for 2022.
McPherson County 4-H Council Meeting
- The next McPherson County 4-H Council meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 3 at 6:00 pm at the fair building with officer elections.
- The 4-H Council is seeking volunteers to serve in this leadership role to work alongside the Extension Office in making decisions for the McPherson County 4-H program.
- If you are interested in joining the 4-H Council please plan to attend the May meeting, or e-mail email@example.com.
Print your ID sheets! Deadline to be turned in to the Extension Office is June 15, 2022 by 5 p.m.
4-H Market Animal Production Classes
The purpose of 4-H record keeping is to teach youth how to keep records, which is an important life skill. Record keeping is an ongoing process that does not end when 4-H ends. It teaches youth how to set goals, how to make plans for action, and the end result.
You may enter 1 market animal per species in a production class. The specific animal must be selected at pre-fair entry. The production champion, per species, will be the youth with the highest total score from the live show, rate of gain and record book. Record books will need be turned in by September 15th.
Refer to the Fairbook on page 9 for more information on Production Classes or click here:
Attention all Lincoln, Logan, & McPherson County 4-Hers!!!
- Enrolling in 4-H Online is just the 1st step in your 4-H Journey! June 1st the ShoWorks website specific to each County will open for youth to select each individual class and exhibit for county fair.
- The deadline for pre-fair entries is: July 1st at 5 p.m. for Lincoln County; July 15th at 5 p.m. for Logan and McPherson Counties.
- The Statewide Deadline for 4-H enrollment is June 15th. We encourage early enrollment so important deadlines are not missed.
- 2022 4-H T-shirts will be ordered this year for each 4-H youth enrolled thanks to our wonderful sponsors!! Please ensure youth are selecting the correct size for fair time when enrolling.
- When enrolling in 4-H make sure to stop into the Extension Office and pick up your 4-H Yard Sign!
YQCA - Quality Assurance
****To receive credit for YQCA - Quality Assurance, youth must submit their YQCA Certificate to the Extension Office by June 15, 2022 5 p.m. The Extension staff does not have access to view completion of your YQCA training. To register visit: https://yqcaprogram.org/
2022 Show Flyers and Registration
Nebraska 4-H Events
District/State Horse ID Deadline!!
**Online entries for DISTRICT/STATE must be submitted and paid for at https://nhorse.fairwire.com/ and your advancement levels must be completed by 5:00 pm Friday, May 6th.
**Hippology and Horse Judging contest entries must be submitted to our office by June 15.
State Fair Animal Nomination
Premier Animal Science Event (PASE)
The Premier Animal Science Event (PASE) will be held on Wednesday, June 22 and Thursday, June 23 on the UNL Campus. Contests available to enter are Meats Judging, Poultry Judging, Livestock Quiz Bowl, Livestock Skill-a-Thon, and Livestock Judging Contest. Youth must be ages 10-18 on January 1st of the current year in order to attend. Please contact Amber at 532-2683 or firstname.lastname@example.org is you are interested in participating in any of these contests before June 1st!
4-H Member SPOTLIGHT
We are spotlighting what some of our Lincoln-Logan-McPherson County 4-H'ers and volunteers are doing! If you have something that you would like us to add to the Spotlight section in future newsletters please e-mail Amber at email@example.com
Congratulations Matthew Bruns
Matt has been selected as a 2022 Achievement Application WINNER, and is invited to represent Nebraska 4-H at National 4-H Congress in Atlanta, Georgia, November 25– November 29, 2022. This honor represents one of the highest levels of 4-H achievement. You should be very proud!