Tech News & Notes - August 2017
Device Roll-Outs, Staffing and Projects
DEVICE ROLL-OUT SCHEDULES
Many students kept their devices over summer, so we are only scheduling two pick-up days this year.
Tuesday, August 22: 8am - 7pm
Wednesday, August 23: 8am - 3pm
Tuesday, August 29: 4pm - 8pm
New user sessions: as needed throughout the week.
Pick-up and repair each day.
- Lecture hall pick-up.
- Media center repair.
This is also when paperwork can be turned in and fees can be paid.
Tokata Learning Center
Wednesday, August 30th at open house 4-7pm.
Tuesday, September 5th during the school day.
Wednesday, September 6: 9th grade roll-out: We will run teams at East & West during Science classes throughout the day to distribute MacBooks and provide orientation.Thursday, September 7th: 7th & 8th grade: iPads distributed back to students during science period.
Pearson 6th Grade Center
Thursday, September 7th: Information Night
Monday, September 11, 4pm to 8pm: Roll-out to all teams (all students).
Tuesday, September 12: Remaining deployments.
Elementary 3rd-5th Grade Carts
First week of school: Verify student logins, all grades - visit Learning Commons to test and update passwords as needed.
Second week of school: Staggered roll-outs throughout buildings/grade levels, coordinated with DLCs and tech paras.
A few notes about 3rd-5th grade carts:
- Carts were stocked over summer based on enrollment numbers we had at the time, and moved to the buildings. We will run updated enrollment numbers once school starts and adjust quantity of iPads in carts accordingly.
- Devices should be left in cart until we schedule a time with each classroom for device set-up. We want students to enroll the device with their student account, which will make management of the device easier for everyone.
Also of note: All device cases are the same color because a new model of iPad came out and our preferred manufacturer had a very limited selection of colors. On the subject of headsets, we could not afford to fully stock every 3rd-5th classroom this year, but tech will be providing sets of 12 headsets for each classroom this year with the hope of providing additional headsets next year.
MacBook insurance rate remains at $75 for this year. iPad rate also remains at $25. Fees can be paid via check payable to Shakopee School District, or on-line via Infinite Campus.
Hiring not yet finished
Our resignation was Elle Blomquist, who had 25 years of outstanding service to Shakopee School District, and certainly saw immense changes from then until now. We wish her well.
High School Expansion
- Installation of networking equipment and wireless access points.
- Procurement and installation of classroom audio-visual systems, which will consist of a large screen display (75" TV), Apple TV, wall mounted HDMI and VGA input options, ceiling speakers and controls for the system.
Given our current timeline, networking and phones will be the first priority. Classroom A/V systems will be completed as quickly as possible.
RapidIdentity Account Portal
Other Summer Projects
- K-8 Chromebook cart refresh and additional carts
- Removal of media center/learning commons labs at K-5 and reclamation of lab space at 6th-9th grade for classrooms or additional learning commons spaces.