Non-Traditional Graduation Plan
Clever High School
Message from Mr. Casey
CHS Seniors and families,
As a district, we are excited to celebrate the accomplishments of the graduating class of 2020 in a way that they deserve! The decision to hold two graduation ceremonies was made to ensure that we are doing everything we can to provide all graduates an opportunity to be recognized and honored. In fact, our hope is that most of our seniors will be able to attend both ceremonies.
In this newsletter, you will find specific details about our plan for a drive-through ceremony. You are asked to read this carefully and follow all of the guidelines to ensure a safe and efficient process for all individuals involved.
Of course, this plan is fluid and we are constantly monitoring the recommendations set forth by our local and state health officials. We will continue to put our faith in hope and not in fear as we make plans to honor our graduating seniors. However, there is nothing more important than the safety and well-being of our school family. If changes are made, communications will follow as quickly and responsibly as we are able to provide them.
More information will be coming on our traditional ceremony which is scheduled for August 16th at The O'Reilly Family Event Center on the campus of Drury University.
Thank you in advance for your attention to the details below. As always, if you have questions do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.
Clever High School Principal
- Rainout Day: Sunday, June 14th
Time: 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Location: Clever High School
- Seniors with last name beginning with A - G: 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Seniors with last name beginning with H - O: 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
- Seniors with last name beginning with P - Z: 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
*Arrive at any time during your designated hour up to within the last 5 minutes*
Before You Arrive
- Graduates should wear their cap and gown to the school. School appropriate attire should be worn under the cap and gown but formal wear will not be required at this event. When deciding what to wear under the cap and gown, please keep in mind pictures will be taken at this event.
- Be sure to remove your cap and gown from the wrapping and hang them several days prior to the event. Do not attempt to iron your cap and gown!
- If you have not received your cap and gown, email Ms. Strickland (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible to make arrangements.
- On a large sheet of paper or a sign created at home, clearly write the graduate's first and last name so that it can be read easily from outside the lead vehicle. Place the sheet of paper or sign on your dashboard where it can be easily read by a staff member.
- Each graduate will be allowed two vehicles in their group. Families and loved ones of the graduate who are participating in the drive-through event are asked to meet off-campus prior to the designated arrival time to organize.
- Feel free to decorate your vehicle(s) and celebrate your senior!
- The graduating senior must be in the lead car.
- If possible, a live stream of the event will be provided to watch online for anyone unable to attend.
- Only traditional passenger vehicles (cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, etc) will be allowed to participate. Trailers, boats, tractors, etc. will not be permitted.
Arrival at CHS
- If two vehicles will be participating, be sure to arrive together.
- Enter campus using the northeast drive off of Highway 14 (#1 in the map below)
- Proceed to the staging area in the southeast parking lot (#2 in the map below) where volunteers will organize all vehicles in the order which they arrived.
- You will be asked to wait in the staging area until it is time for your graduate to be recognized.
Drive-through Graduation Procedure
- When directed by a volunteer or staff member, vehicle(s) will drive north to the east end of the main sidewalk in front of the high school (#3 on the map below) and will be met by Mrs. Hickman who will open the door for the graduate to exit.
- Once the graduate has safely walked to the sidewalk, vehicle(s) will pull forward and position directly in front of the main entrance.
- The graduate will walk the length of the sidewalk through a processional line formed by teachers and staff members.
- At the receiving area (#4 on the map below), the graduate's name will be announced and he/she will receive his/her diploma or certificate.
- Mr. Schmidt will take a picture of each graduate in front of the high school backdrops which will be provided at no cost to each family. This will be sent directly to each graduate using his/her school email account.
- The graduate will re-enter the lead vehicle and exit campus immediately through the northwest drive leading to Highway 14 (#5 on the map below).
- Only the graduate will exit their vehicle at any time upon arriving on campus.
- Staff members and volunteers will remain adequately spaced apart to allow for appropriate social distancing to occur.
- No handshakes, high-fives, hugs, etc. will be allowed.
- The senior choir will not perform.
- There will be no guest or senior speaker.
- There will be no slideshow of senior pictures.
- Both the north and northeast parking lots will be closed during this event except to allow for volunteer and staff parking.