FOURTH GRADE NEWS
September 3, 2015
Language Arts/Social Studies
In writing the students will be able to identify the organizational framework of expository writing, as well as review and locate the subject and predicate of a sentence. Students will also write compound sentences using coordinating conjunctions.
Students will learn about the different types of text structure found in nonfiction and interpret and explain information on a physical map of Texas.
Students are continuing to practice using scientific processes, methods, and tools to answer scientific questions. Students are using science notebooks to collect their thoughts, observations, and data in meaningful ways.
We are still in need of Science supplies. Listed below are the science supplies we still need for units 1 & 2:
4 bags trail mix
4 packages marbles
20 pieces foam tubing
40 regular size balloons
20 dowel rods, 30 cm
60 pieces of string, 30 cm
20 plastic cups
4 boxes zip close baggies- gallon & sandwich size
20 sugar granual packets
20 bottles distilled water
From the Teachers
- We have a website just for parents! You will find links, important information, and much more.https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
- Next week is Howdy Week! Linked below is a flyer indicating the theme of dress for each day of the week. We love this week and encourage all of our students to participate in this yearly festivity.
- SPARKLE Store will open tomorrow morning! Sparkles are an incentive that we give to our students throughout the day. These sparkles may be used on Fridays to buy privileges in the Sparkle Store. The Sparkle Store is open from 7:30-7:45 a.m. You will find a link below for what your students may buy with their sparkles.
- Also linked is a list of parenting workshops given by PISD. Check out the list. There are many interesting topics that are being presented during the month of September.
- Teachers monitor the temperature and ozone before going outside to recess. If it is above 95 degrees (temp or heat index), we stay inside. If it is a Red ozone alert we stay inside. If it is an Orange ozone alert, we allow asthmatics to stay inside or to sit in the shade. Also remember that it is cold inside the building and your child may need a sweater for the air conditioning.
- Fourth grade is in need of donations for science experiments this year. Please see the link below for a list of needed supplies.
- Library book checkout for fourth grade students will be on Mondays. A student may return the book any day of the week. Each class will have a library lesson with Mrs. Geiler on their assigned library day.
- 9/7 Labor Day
- 9/8 Math quiz over Place Value chart
- 9/8-9/11 Howdy Week