By: Megan Packard
- The Taipan snake is a sidewinder.
- The Taipan snake is found in Australia
- Their diets consist primarily of small mammals, especially rats and bandicoots.
- Species of this genus possess highly neurotoxic venom with some other toxic constituents that have multiple effects on victims.
- The venom is known to paralyze victim's nervous system and clot the blood, which then blocks blood vessels and uses up clotting factors.
- Dramatic seasonal colour changes take place, with a darker winter and lighter summer coloration. These changes are an adaptation to the harsh outback climate, the darker markings absorbing heat more efficiently in winter and the reverse in summer.