DIY PD...Just Under 5 Minutes
"If your bum is numb, your brain is too," Jamie Sparks
I attended a great workshop by Delke Crouthamel, P.E. Teacher at Lyons Mill Elementary School. Delke spoke about getting students moving beyond the P.E. classroom and brain breaks. As he talked about executive functioning skills, I thought back to what Tina and Sarah have shared with us this year. Take a look at his presentation, Born to Move.
Eight-five percent of students are kinesthetic learners. How can you get your students (and you) to move throughout the day?
Follow Delke on Twitter @delkec
The best part is the name of the link provided. These are always wacky, like friendly-raccoon or apricot-hamster.
Sites to Bookmark
- Newsela (Nicole shared this with us last year): Nonfiction Literacy and Current Events- Unlimited access to hundreds of leveled news articles and Common Core–aligned quizzes, with new articles every day
- Using Newsela: Getting started via BCPS ODL
- Photos for Class: Age appropriate images, automatic citations, licenses for public use
- Instant Web Whiteboard: Connect to this site for a quick whiteboard. Pages can be saved and shared for collaboration.
S.T.A.T. Newsletter Archive
- April 2016: S.T.A.T. in Action at PGE, 8 Ways Teachers Can Talk Less and Get Kids Talking More, Parking Panic as a Brain Break (via Smore)
- March 2016: PGE Math PD Artifacts, Spotlight on Strategies, Dictionary App as a Brainbreak (via Smore)
- February 2016: Classflow, Digital Reading, MSDE Math Webinar Series, 15 Things to Do with Binder Clips (via Smore)
- January 2016: Personalized PD, Snippets from Norwood Visit, Behavior Intervention Resources (via Smore)
- December 2015: Understanding PARCC scores video, Free professional reads via BCPS One, Digital Content (via Discovery Education, logging into BCPS One then DE is required first)
- November 2015: Learning Walks and LCE-Instructional Strategies (via Discovery Education, logging into BCPS One then DE is required first)
- October 2015: PGE Nifty Finds, Learning Walks video (via Smore)
- May 2015: A Glance into UDL (via Smore)
- April 2015: FAME and Formative Assessment (via Smore)
- March 2015: Questioning (continued), Twitter, CPD credits (via Smore)
- February 2015: Anchor Charts, Course Maps, Reading Wonders (online features), Questioning, Diigo (via Smore)