August 25, 2023
Hello from the PCHS Admin Team!
It's here! We are so looking forward to welcoming our students to school on Monday morning! Our priority on Monday: Connectedness. We want every student to walk into our building on Monday and immediately feel welcomed, seen, and connected to one another, our building, and their teachers. We know this is foundational to learning, safety, and a healthy school climate, and we look forward to making it happen. Thank you for entrusting us with your children. We do not take this lightly, and we can't wait to support them across an awesome school year.
Please read below to ensure readiness to dive in next week!
Have a great weekend, and go Pirates!
Julia McBride, Principal
Frank McMurray, Assistant Principal
Sandy Buczek, Dean of Academic Support
Class Schedules - Check Again Sunday!
First Day of School Schedule
Please note: 9th graders WILL NOT follow the schedule below on the first day of school! Instead, they will engage in a freshmen orientation experience led by our Link Crew Leaders. What is Link Crew? Similar to WEB Leaders at Pathfinder, Link Crew is a high school orientation and transition program where upperclassmen are trained to support our 9th graders' into and through a successful first year here at PCHS. We know that students are much more likely to graduate on time if they start strong in 9th grade!
Orientation will begin at 7:30am in the PCHS Gym. Before 7:30am, 9th graders are to gather in the Commons. :)
If you'd like to learn more about Link Crew and its purpose, there is a great video here: https://www.boomerangproject.com/transition-programs/link-crew
Did You Miss Registration on Thursday, August 17?
For students unable to attend the August 17 Registration, here are the next steps:
Access Class Schedule Digitally in MiStar
Students' schedules and locker assignments are viewable in MiStar.
School Pictures Make-Up Day
Any student who did not get their picture taken during registration will need to do so on our make-up picture day, Tuesday, August 29, which is our first full day of school. Students will be called down to have their picture taken in the Auditorium and will leave with a new student ID for this school year. Picture orders can be made at www.kaiserstudio.com with the School ID Code: 2324PINCKHS
Still Need to Order Class Shirts, Senior Package, or Parking Permit?
Semester 1 Lunch Assignments
Can I Change My Schedule?
MiStar Gradebook @ PCHS - What to Expect
Here are a few things you can count on about your student's MiStar Gradebook:
- If an assignment is RED, it means it is missing.
- You and your student will be able to see both their percentage and letter grade in each course.
- Assignments, tests, & quizzes will be graded and input into MiStar within 5 days.
- Projects and essays will be graded and input into MiStar within 10 days.
- Common language will be used in assignment detail to log any accommodations provided for a student on an assignment in alignment with their IEP or 504, if applicable.
NWEA MAP Growth Assessment @ PCHS
Students in grades 9-11 will take the NWEA MAP Growth assessment this year in both reading and math. The results provide teachers with information to help guide appropriate instruction for each student’s academic growth. It also provides you a snapshot of your child’s growth over time. It is important to know the NWEA scores are just one data point about student learning. Teachers continuously use classroom assessments and tools to dig deeper with student learning and inform instructional plans.
Below is additional information about the assessment.
What does MAP Growth measure?
MAP Growth measures what students know and what they don’t know, regardless of their grade level in math and reading. This helps teachers adjust their instruction for each student. It also measures growth over time, allowing you to track your student’s progress throughout the school year and across multiple years.
Can MAP Growth tell me if my student is working at grade level?
MAP Growth scores are just one data point that teachers use to determine how a child is performing. MAP Growth measures if a student is performing similar to their peers (nationwide). The MAP Growth assessment is not used for any part of a student’s grade.
Is MAP Growth a standardized test?
MAP Growth is administered periodically during the school year (fall, winter, spring). Instead of asking all students the same questions, it is computer adaptive, adjusting to each child’s performance—giving a more accurate measure of what they know and what they are ready to learn. Teachers also receive results right away, which enables them to react more quickly.
What information will I receive from my student’s school?
Students will receive a copy of their Student Profile Report, which contains information and scores from your student’s most recent and past MAP Growth tests.
Additional information for families can be found here:
2023-24 PCHS Bell Schedules
Upcoming Events & Important Dates
- Monday, August 28: First Day of 2023-24 School Year - 1/2 Day - 7:30-10:55am (Freshmen Orientation Day!)
- Tuesday, August 29: Make-Up Picture Day
- Friday, September 1: No School - Labor Day Weekend
- Monday, September 4: No School - Labor Day
- Wednesday, September 13 from 6:30-8:00pm: PCHS Open House ("drop-in" format to meet teachers, see classrooms, and learn about courses your student is taking)
- Thursday, September 14 at 7pm: National Honor Society Induction
- Friday, September 29: Homecoming Parade & Football Game vs. Ypsi
- Saturday, September 30: Homecoming Dance
- Wednesday, October 11: Powderpuff Football Game
District-Wide Calendars: https://www.pinckneypirates.org/page/calendars
Get your tickets to any and all games here! Season passes can also be purchased here.
Follow along for all athletic tryouts, registration, schedules, and updates at https://pinckneypiratesathletics.com/
Looking for Pirate Athletics gear?
If you have any questions please let your counselor know:
Ms. Amy Robinson (Last names A-Le) - email@example.com
Ms. Nicole Braun (Last names Lf- Z) - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Pirate Closet, coordinated by the PCHS Counseling Team, accepts donations of and offers gently used clothing in a range of sizes for teenagers and/or food items such as canned goods, dry goods, and things that store well. Deodorant, body wash, shampoo, toothpaste, and toothbrushes are also welcome and accessible. All donations should be brought to the Counseling Office as soon as registration days and running across the school year. Any student or PCHS family in need can visit the Counseling Office to seek access to the Pirate Closet or email your student's counselor directly. Requests will be kept confidential.
Local Employment Opportunities
Pinckney Community Schools!
If you know someone who would thrive in a small learning community environment focused on student connection, empowerment, and preparedness for life beyond high school, send them our way! In particular, here at PCHS we are currently looking for 2 Special Ed Aides, football coaching staff, and an ELA/Psychology teacher.
PCHS on Social Media
If you don't already, follow us on:
- Twitter at @PinckneyHigh
- Instagram at @pinckneyhighschool
- Facebook at Pinckney Community High School.
We do our best to use these platforms for important announcements, newsworthy events, and fun things that keep parents and students connected to PCHS.
- Full-Day Schedule: 7:30am-2:30pm
- Half-Day Schedule: 7:30am-10:55am
- Friday Early Release Schedule: 7:30am-1:09pm
- PCHS is a closed campus. Only those approved to leave the building (i.e. for CTE, Dual Enrollment, Co-Op) may exit the building during school hours, and only through the South entrance. This is in service of ensuring all students are safely where they should be!
- If running late to school, students need to park in the Main Entrance lot (South side) in order to sign in at the Main Office. The North doors will be locked after 7:45am.
- Students are required to have a parking pass if parking in the PCHS lot during the school day. Make sure you've paid for your pass in the Main Office!
- PCS Transportation Code of Conduct
- Have a tech issue? Submit a helpdesk ticket at: helpdesk.pinckneypirates.org
Attendance Hotline: 810-225-5510 / email@example.com