* Every year in the U.S., roughly 5,000 people under the age of 21 die from an alcohol-related incident including car crashes, homicides, suicides, alcohol poisoning and other related injuries.
* Alcohol is a substance that impairs judgement when consumed and can lead to drinking and driving, unintended sexual activity, violence or other dangerous behaviors.
* 70% of 18-year-olds admit to drinking an alcoholic beverage at least once, while 80% of college-aged students report consuming alcohol.
* There are roughly 80,000 deaths that are related to alcohol abuse every year, making it the 3rd highest cause of death in the U.S.
Consequences of Alcohol
* Annually, about 5,000 people under age 21 die from alcohol-related injuries involving underage drinking.
* Increases the risk of physical and sexual assault
* Can cause a range of physical consequences, from hangovers to death from alcohol poisoning
*Is associated with academic failure5
*An estimated 1,700 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die each year from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor vehicle crashes
* 8% of all ER visits each year for illness or injuries are associated with alcohol
*Alcohol consumption by college students is linked to at least 1,400 student deaths and 500,000 unintentional injuries each year