By Samantha Lampers
Main Organelles and Their Functions
- Mitochondria - provide energy to support the many metabolism systems
- Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum - damaging compounds such as steroids, alcohol, drugs and toxins are converted or detoxified
- Lysosomes - Break down toxins
The Hepatocytes are found in the liver where they assist the liver in regulating metabolism and detoxification.
They make up the Liver Tissue
Slender Salamander Hepatocyte
A portion of the hepatocyte.
1-Day Old Rat
Shows mitochondria, rough ER, and rosettes of glycogen granules.
Reveals "the lattice of the urate oxidase crystal contained within the peroxisome."
- "Hepatic Histology: Hepatocytes." Hepatic Histology: Hepatocytes. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Sept. 2014.
- "Understanding the Significance of Hepatocyte Cells." Answers.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Sept. 2014.
- "Organs - Liver." BBC News. BBC, n.d. Web. 17 Sept. 2014.