The Mustang Memo
Week Ending 5/8
Important Dates/Things to Remember
- Thursday, May 14th 7:00 p.m. - PTO Meeting (Hussain Ali will be in attendance)
- Friday, May 15th - Remote Learning Planning Day
- Friday, May 22nd - Remote Learning Planning Day
- Each Sunday you can find the updated weekly plans on the Mann Website in addition to getting them daily from the teachers
5 PBIS winners and Upcoming Birthdays
Congrats to the 5 weekly PBIS winners: Evelyn (Turi), Jack (Narvaez), Anthony (Narvaez)
Frank (Zander), and Luke (Peterson)
**Watch for something in the mail.
Happy Birthday to the following people next week:
Adela Balliet, Quentin O'Brien, Lucas Neppel, Cole Staszyk, Abigail Young, Frida Marinoff, LIncoln Hoog, Madeline DeJarnatt, Rosemary Bornhorst, Grace Franklin, Elliot Rist, Finn Kaunelis, and Gianna Trotta. Also Happy Birthday this week to Mrs. LaHucik and Ms. Bullock!
Mann Social Events - Virtual Events for the Students now till end of Year
Yearbook - Information from Beth Siegel
I would like to invite you to begin uploading your candid photos for potential inclusion into the Mann Yearbook. Follow this link:
Click on "Photo Post" and select IL, Oak Park, and Horace Mann
Create an account if this is your first time logging in, or get logged in if you're a repeat helper. I promise not to spam you with anything after you're done uploading photos. (If you had an account last year, it was likely disabled and you'll need to create a new one.)
Follow the prompts to upload your photos.
Select the folder or create a New Folder (name it) --> Upload --> Add files --> select the photos from your computer --> repeat as needed
You can upload photos to the existing folders, or create a new folder. When naming a folder, please use a title that reflects the event. Please see the list at the bottom of this email for ideas of what we're looking for. I will be updating this list and may send out more requests as I start filling in specific pages. You do no need to put the names of the students in the photos, but please somehow include the teacher name the student(s) are in if a picture doesn't fit into one of the specific categories below.
***If you'd like to help with building the yearbook or if you have problems or questions about uploading, please contact me at email@example.com The deadline is ever-changing, but we don't want this year to go by without a yearbook. This will be one to look back on for sure!!!
I could use some extra hands to build some of the pages.
Thank you so much for your help!
Registration Open for 2020-21 School Year in District 97
New Students and Kindergarteners - Please note that Kindergarten and New Student Registration will be open through June 6. Families who wish to enroll a kindergartner or new student should start the registration process now by completing a Google survey form on our website.
Mental Health Wellness Appointments
We recognize that this time of crisis may create stress and trigger emotional difficulties for your child. D97’s school psychology department is offering acute (short-term) access to mental health wellness checks. Scheduled appointments are available daily between the hours of 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. for mental health triage services during the COVID-19 school closure beginning April 13, 2020.
Parents/Caregivers, you may sign up your student for a 15-minute slot here: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UUVKMGZxZ0E0ZkpvfGRlZmF1bHR8ODI4ZTEzZmFkOTFjYWY5OGU5NjFiZDBkMDExZjkzNmY if you think your child would benefit from an empathetic ear and a few coping and self-care tips. When signing your child up, please provide the email (for video chat) or phone number you’d like us to contact at the time of the appointment.
Although this crisis may also be tough for adults, these mental health triage appointments are reserved to focus on student needs. If you have questions as a caregiver/parent, please email your building’s assigned school psychologist, your child’s educational team, or refer to this resource guide, created by the District 97 Social Work Department: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uKPIgKHr6sDnj_YHb1t6S9UbukwE2JUAZS4cv37H9QY/edit
"Mindful Middle-Schoolers" Program (Particularly for our 5th grade families)
- Tuesday, May 12: Mindfully Coping: Strategies for Children and Families During a Pandemic https://www.eventbrite.com/e/coping-mindfully-strategies-for-children-and-families-during-a-pandemic-tickets-104362182096
- Wednesday, May 20: Strategies to Support Executive Functioning and Self-Regulation Development Based upon Brain Science https://www.eventbrite.com/e/strategies-to-support-executive-functioning-and-self-regulation-in-middle-schoolers-tickets-104370637386
- Wednesday, May 27: Mindfulness-Based Strategies and Their Applications in Academic Environments https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mindfulness-based-strategies-and-their-applications-in-academic-and-home-settings-tickets-104458977614
- Thursday, May 28: Understanding Anxiety in Youth and Strategies for Treatment and Support https://www.eventbrite.com/e/understanding-anxiety-in-youth-and-strategies-for-treatment-and-support-tickets-104370791848
- Wednesday, June 3: Technology and Mental Health: Strategies to Promote Mindful Digital Citizenship https://www.eventbrite.com/e/technology-and-mental-health-strategies-to-promote-mindful-digital-citizenship-tickets-104361018616
- Wednesday, June 10: Understanding Depression in Youth and Strategies for Treatment and Support https://www.eventbrite.com/e/understanding-depression-in-youth-and-strategies-for-treatment-and-support-tickets-104459673696
Meal Distribution on Monday, May 11th
If you have any questions, please contact our food service coordinator, Carla Ellis, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free/Reduced Lunch Applications
District 97 Staff Referral Program
Video Created by D97 Social Workers and Psychologists
Mental Health Resource, "Call4Calm"
People can also text other terms, like “unemployment” or “food” or “shelter” to the same number to receive information on how to navigate and access supports and services. Call4Calm is free, and individuals who use it can remain anonymous. We encourage you to share this resource with your students, families, and staff.
Community Resources/ Public Health updates:
CDC - Center for Disease Control informational website
Village of OP (resources specifically for OP)
https://healthconnectionhub.org/ (Community Mental Health Board resources)
Comcast will provide low-income residents with 2 months of free internet to help them work from home: https://www.internetessentials.com/
(OP Food Pantry) - will relax requirements for families to access food. There will be no questions asked for anyone who requests food.
Walgreens is also waiving delivery fees for all eligible prescriptions, beginning Friday, March 13th
Mindfulness Strategies: These are ways to help manage stress and maintain well being. There are many different activities online, these are two suggestions.
Leaves on a stream (mindfulness/meditation)