Weekly Updates from Discovery Elementary - Dec. 11, 2022
This FRIDAY - EARLY DISMISSAL - 12:55 p.m. (NOT 2:10 p.m.)
This Friday is an Early Dismissal day, which means all students will be dismissed at 12:55 p.m., NOT 2:10 p.m. (This is different than our typical early release time of 2:10 p.m.)
Winter Break - NO SCHOOL - Dec. 19, 2022 - Jan. 2, 2023
12 Days of Giving - Last Week to Donate Cereal
Tuesday - Dollar Bookstore is Back!
Tuesday is Dollar Bookstore Day
Each Tuesday, during lunch recess, students have the opportunity to buy books for one dollar ($1). These books are gently used and are ready for new homes. Students love shopping for books and can even earn "free book" certificates from teachers and staff.
Donations of gently used books are always welcome! If your child has outgrown their books, please consider donating them to Dollar Bookstore.
PTO Winter Wonderland Holiday Shop - THIS TUESDAY and WEDNESDAY!!
Tues. December 13 - 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Wed. December 14 - 4:00-6:00 p.m.
Portable 34 on the North side of the Discovery campus. Entry will be through the gate at the north end of campus and families are welcome to park in the staff/bus parking for the event.
"School Holiday Shop" is a program designed for children to shop on their own at school in a safe, non-commercial environment. The shop will be set up in Portable 34 and run by Discovery PTO and family volunteers. Gifts are priced between $0.25 to $10.00, with most priced between $3.00 and $7.00. These gifts are available for all members of your family! Cash is preferred, but you can also purchase gift certificates at www.schoolholidayshop.com/giftcert and is a great option if you'd prefer to use a credit card.The gift certificate is then emailed to your family to use at the holiday shop. A flyer with this information, along with a Shopping Budget Envelope should have been sent home with your child already.
Thank you and Happy Holidays!
Discovery Elementary PTO
Schoolwide Monthly Character Trait - GRATITUDE
Gratitude - Dinner Conversation Starters
Instructions - Sit down as a family, pass the food around, and choose a conversation starter or two. Give it some time…this process will become richer the more you implement it. Once you get the hang of it, encourage family members to create their own conversation starters. Bon appetit!
● What does Gratitude mean to you?
● What is something you are grateful for every day?
● When you show Gratitude, how does it make you feel?
● When someone shows you Gratitude, how does it make you feel?
● What is a sound/taste/smell that makes you are Grateful for?
● Share a time that someone showed you Gratitude, what did they do?
● Who is someone in our lives that we could show more Gratitude towards?
● What gets in the way of us showing Gratitude to others?
● How can we help each other remember to show Gratitude?
● What has made you laugh lately that you are Grateful for?
● What is a strength you have that you are Grateful for?
● Name something cute you are grateful for.
● What is something that makes you feel peaceful?
● Name something you are grateful for that makes you smile.
● Who is someone who helps you see the good in situations?
● Think about your day, who is someone that you are grateful for? How can you show them? ● Did someone show you gratitude today? What did they do?
● Was there a time when you were hoping for some gratitude shown to you and didn’t get it? How did that make you feel?
● What is a gratitude goal you can set for tomorrow?
● Is there something in your life that you think you should be more grateful for?
Did you receive the SCHOOL DELAY and SCHOOL CLOSURE notifications?
Did you receive a ParentSquare notification for November's school closure and delay announcements? If not, there are a few possible reasons for that:
- ParentSquare only sends phone calls to people who don't have other valid contact points listed, so if you got a text or other notification, you likely didn't receive a phone call.
- You have your work or landline number listed as your phone number. You cannot receive a text on a landline, so you should add a current cell phone number in Skyward Employee Access if you'd like to receive a text notification. Skyward can be found in the staff portal SharePoint.
- Your contact information may be outdated. To update your cell phone number, please do so in Skyward as described above.
If you activate your ParentSquare account (which involves confirming your contact information), you can set your notification preferences about how you'd like to receive general messages.
Want to get the notification before 5 a.m.?
You can sign up for FlashAlert to get the same quick, early announcements that are shared with local media stations. Those are typically posted as soon as the decision is made, which is around 4:30 a.m.
Still not sure if the district is delayed or closed?
You can check the district home page, social media and local TV stations for delay and closure announcements which are also usually updated by about 5 a.m.
Free Meals for all Students
This year all children are eligible to receive free breakfast and lunch. If your child has dietary restrictions, or you don’t want your child to eat the school-provided meals, please tell your child’s teacher. If you send lunch from home, please make sure your child can independently open all items and that you send healthy foods your child will eat.
Breakfast is served from 8:35-8:50 AM daily.
Lunch is served by grade level at their designated lunch time.
Monday, Dec. 12 - School Board Meeting
- Spirit Week - Hat Day
Tuesday, Dec.13 - PTO Winter Wonderland Holiday Shop (6:00 - 8:00 p.m.)
- Spirit Week - Toasty Tuesday
Wednesday, Dec. 14 - Spirit Week - Candy Cane Day
- Student Leadership Club (3:30 - 4:30 p.m.)
- PTO Winter Wonderland Holiday Shop (4:00 - 6:00 p.m.)
Thursday, Dec. 15 - Spirit Week - Discovery Day
- Dolphin Pride Assemblies (in p.m.)
Friday, Dec. 16 - Spirit Week - Pajama Day
- 12:55 p.m. Early Dismissal (Please note the earlier dismissal time)
December 19 - January 2 - Winter Break - NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, January 3, 2023 - 1st Day of School in the New Year
Dec 16-24 Las Posadas
Dec 18-26 Hanukkah
Dec 21 Yule
Dec 24 Christmas Eve/Nochebuena
Dec 25 Christmas
Dec 26-Jan 1 Kwanzaa
Dolphin Clicks Archives
Principal: Shannon Koehnen, KoehnenSA@mukilteo.wednet.edu
Asst. Principal: Mary Helen Bever, BeverMX@mukilteo.wednet.edu
Dean of Students: Alysha Yeamans, YeamansAX@mukilteo.wednet.edu
Elementary Support Specialist (ESS): Kristen Ching, ChingKL@mukilteo.wednet.edu
Elementary Support Specialist (ESS): Alexzia Wagner-Rasmussen, WagnerrasmussenAM@mukilteo.wednet.edu
Administrative Assistant: Debbie Fischer,
Mukilteo School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator Simone Neal (425-356-1319), email@example.com, Section 504 Coordinator Lisa Pitsch (425-356-1277), firstname.lastname@example.org, and the ADA/Access Coordinator Karen Mooseker (425-356-1330), email@example.com. Address: 9401 Sharon Drive in Everett, WA. Inquiries regarding ADA/Access issues at Sno-Isle TECH Skills Center should be directed to Wes Allen, Director (425-348-2220) firstname.lastname@example.org. Address: 9001 Airport Road in Everett, WA 98204.