SCCS Home Bulletin
August 24, 2022
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED
FROM DR. B:
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year!
This time of year, people often ask me, “How’s it going at school? How was your start?”
Here’s my answer: the start of the 2022-2023 school year has been the smoothest I’ve ever seen and experienced at SCCS! We have talented adults who have worked hard to prepare well, they are serving in their areas of giftedness, and we are a strong community. It is fun! God is in this place, and the Spirit is moving.
This year, I plan to highlight various “Stories of SCCS” as part of my regular column in the Home Bulletin. Thanks for reading the information outlined here each week, as it’s a main method of communication from school to home.
Thank you for choosing SCCS for your child(ren). You are making an eternal investment. We take seriously our promise to treasure and train them so that they may be transformed.
Let’s do this!
We will begin our Storyline Chapels on Wednesday, Sept. 7. These chapels take place the first Wednesday of every month and parents are welcome to attend.
WELCOME TO SCCS!
Year-Long Student Teacher with Mrs. Bleeker
Ms. De Vries
Year-Long Student Teacher with Mrs. Vande Kamp
Year-Long Student Teacher with Mrs. Stoub and Mrs. Peters
Ms. Ten Haken
Year-Long Student Teacher with Mrs. Vander Kooi and Mrs. Harmelink
Year-Long Student Teacher with Mr. Bandstra and Mrs. De Wit
WELCOME BACK, STUDENTS!
We welcomed 518 smiling students into our school yesterday! They walked in with new backpacks, grins for teachers and friends, and are now busy at their full-time job of being TRAINED in the deep soil of God's Word and in the wonder of His creation! Thank you to our parents and supporters for partnering with us in the training of God's kids! We ask you to pray that each student will know they are treasured as God's unique design with a one-of-a-kind role in His Story! And pray for each faculty and staff member that the training they provide will be transforming, through the work of the Holy Spirit, so that each child may be equipped to serve God NOW and every day of their lives!
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
- Each Wednesday , SCCS dismisses at 2:05 for teacher professional development.
- Students may ride a different bus for daycare purpose only. Parents must write a note, email or call the office to get a bus pass for your child. If you need to contact the transportation director for any reason, call 722-2481.
FROM NURSE JENNY
BLOOMZ INFO: ALL SCHOOL COMMUNICATION ON BLOOMZ STARTING SEPTEMBER 1
- We will continue to use Bloomz as our school communication tool. Bloomz is our main method of communication throughout the school year, so we ask that all parents view the training below and become comfortable with the tool. Bloomz has made many enhancements this summer. Parents can find a training for Bloomz at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/bloomz.cfm.
- Parents should have received an invitation to join your child's class; please accept the invitation. If you are having difficulty joining that class, please contact the homeroom teacher or the office.
- NOTE: All communication will be via Bloomz starting September 1.
School pictures will be taken by Alison Obbink Photography on Tuesday, August 30 (Grades TK, K, 3, 7 8) and Wednesday, August 31 (Grades 1, 2, 4, 5, 6). Your child should have received a picture envelope order form but if not, please contact the office. Please return your picture envelopes by Friday, Aug. 26.
Students are invited to “Find the BEST story!” in our school library this year. The SCCS Library will begin checking out books to students on August 31. TK-4th Grade students visit the library weekly to check out one book. Students in 5th-8th grades will visit the library with their reading teachers and can check out one or two books for two weeks. We hope our students can access books that will grow their love of reading!
Are you interested in volunteering? Sign up on the linked volunteer form. Thank you!
4CARE: There are still openings in our morning section of 4Care . The 4Care classroom is now in the main school building with lots of room, newly remodeled bathrooms, new toys and furniture! Check out https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/admissions/4care.cfm to learn more.
KINDERCARE: Kindercare is an extended play-based childcare opportunity which features hands-on, child-led, play-based learning led by Mrs. Vander Werf. Kindercare is offered each Friday that school is in session from 8:00am-3:05pm and is available for TK & K students. Please call the office (712-722-0777) or email email@example.com if you would like your child to attend.
AFTERCARE: There are also spots available in our Aftercare program. It is available for TK-5th grade from the end of the school day to 5:30 at an hourly rate. To learn more about Aftercare click here. Forms for registering your child(ren) are below and can be returned to the office.
SACK PACK PROGRAM
All students have the opportunity to take advantage of the Sack Pack Program. This program provides free food items in a “sack” each Friday to assist families who are struggling to make ends meet. Nurse Jenny discretely distributes the sacks each week. If your student(s) participated in this program last year, they will automatically be re-enrolled this year. If you no longer wish to participate, contact Nurse Jenny. If you would like to join the program, just email Nurse Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FOOD SERVICE NEWS
- Thanks to everyone who signed up to help with dishwashing this year! If you would like to help out you can sign up here. If you have questions, contact Ashley Keith (email@example.com).
- You can find the lunch and dishwashing schedule here.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please contact the school 24 hours in advance of when you would like to eat. Thank you!
We had a great week of preparation for the beginning of the 2022-23 school year!
Last Tuesday, all faculty and staff gathered in the orchestra room and enjoyed breakfast provided by the Sioux Center Chamber of Commerce. Dr. Josh Bowar, our head of school began with devotions and encouraged us to stand in God's truth with love and firmness, also confirming our SCCS Statement of faith. Mr. Greg Van Dyke, our board president, shared an update from the board of trustees and thanked all faculty and staff for being the hands and feet of our mission to treasure and train God's kids, so they may be transformed. We also thank Officer Koedam and Officer Schaefer of the Sioux Center Police Department who took the time to give us intruder training (and we ask you to join us in prayer that we will never need to use this). Pizza Ranch provided an amazing buffet of pizza (which included dessert!) for lunch! In the afternoon, faculty met for their first full meeting with our new principal Mr. Brandon Haan. It is good to hear the buzz of students returning to the classrooms! Please pray for every student, faculty, and staff member as we learn and live God's Story together, as Christ's disciples.
RETIRED FACULTY AND STAFF GATHERING
Each year, our retired faculty and staff gather together on the first day of school to visit and reminisce. Yesterday, eighteen former SCCS teachers and staff met at Children's Park to celebrate their combined 434 years of service to SCCS. Dr. Bowar briefly shared an update on school and thanked them for impact they had on MANY students' lives as they served God at SCCS. We THANK YOU ALL as well! Your faithfulness in training God's kids is still blessing many lives today!
Read about Sioux Center Christian at the following links:
Check out the following editorials below:
Editorial from Dr. Bowar
Editorial from the Pubic School in Favor of Our Building Project
WE ARE HIRING
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please fill out the form at the link below if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
BIKE TO SCHOOL DAY
Lorna Moss daily demonstrated an active lifestyle and inspired generations of NW Iowans to live healthily and to serve deeply. Lorna was tragically killed while riding her bike in September of 2021. The community of Sioux Center wishes to preserve her legacy by encouraging an active lifestyle and advocating for safe mobility practices for motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians. Students and staff at all Sioux Center schools are encouraged to walk or ride their bike to school on the first Friday in September.
- The Office Handouts http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/officehandouts.cfm is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more! Currently there is information for: Moped Class at NCC; Unity Cheer Kids Camp Registration
- Staff Member of the Month: Nominate a staff member to become the Pella Corporation Staff member of the month. Pella Corporation will award one monthly recipient $500.00 to use towards school approved items and a certificate of recognition. A nomination form can be found here.