West Elementary Parent News
Week of January 4th
West Elementary School
West Family Photos
Thursday, January 7th- Grade Cards go home. 3rd-5th Grade Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m. Colten's Night! Bring your family and West School earns a %!
Friday, January 8th- Kindergarten-2nd Grade Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
Wednesday, January 13th- 2 Hour Early Release for students.
Thursday, January 14th- Open PTA Meeting, 6:00 p.m. ALL PARENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND! Childcare and activities will be provided!
Monday, January 18th- No School. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Black History Month.
Monday, February 1st- Friday, February 5th- National School Counseling Week.
Monday, February 1st- PTA, 6:00.
Thursday, February 4th- 3rd- 5th Grade Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m., Student Led Conferences. Midterms go home. Colten's Night! Bring your family and West School earns a %!Friday, February 5th- K-2nd Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
Monday, February 8th- Student Led Conferences.
Thursday, February 11th- Valentine’s celebration. 2:45-3:25 p.m.
Friday, February 12th- No School- Staff Compensation Day.
Monday, February 15th- No School- President’s Day.
Thursday, February 18th- Papa John’s Pizza Night.
Wednesday, February 24th- Staff Meeting.
Friday, February 26th- Spring Pictures, Fire Drill.
3rd Grade Tobacco Education Performance- TBA.
A Few Friendly Reminders: Parent Drop-off and Pick-up Procedures
ARRIVAL AT SCHOOL
West Elementary is open from 7:45a.m. -3:45 p.m. The building will be opened and students may arrive after 7:45 a.m. Supervision does not begin until 7:45 a.m., so for the safety of your child, please do not drop students off before this time. At no time should students be dropped off in front of the building before school begins. All parents are expected to use the drop-off procedures. All cars should enter from the Main Street entrance (the Dix Road is an EXIT ONLY). Cars should pull through the lower lot and around to the back of the building through the playground driveway.
DISMISSAL OF SCHOOL
For the safety of our students, parents that walk with their students or pick their students up are asked to wait outside of the building for students, not in the front foyer. When parents enter the building during dismissal, it causes serious safety concerns for all students. Parents will under no circumstances be allowed to go to a child’s classroom during dismissal without first checking in at the office and retrieving a visitor’s pass. Make a plan for where you will meet your child outside of the building. A teacher will announce your child’s name and the child will meet you outside the building. It is best if you remain in the car line and wait for your child.
For the safety of our students, please review the procedures outlined below.
1. No transportation changes should be made after 2:00 p.m.
2. Parents that walk with their students or pick their students up are asked to wait outside of the building for students. DOORS TO THE BUILDING WILL BE LOCKED AT ALL TIMES. When parents enter the building during dismissal, it causes serious safety concerns for all students. Parents will under no circumstances be allowed to go to a child’s classroom during dismissal without first checking in at the office and retrieving a visitor’s pass. Make a plan for where you will meet your child outside of the building. A teacher will announce your child’s name and the child will meet you outside the building.
3. If you have dismissal changes, please let your child know. It is difficult for children to change their routine, so please make your child aware if possible.
4. All dismissal notes need to have the following information: Students first and last name, teacher, grade level, and date.
5. Dismissal begins at 3:30 p.m. If you arrive to pick your child up after 3:10 to retrieve your child early, you will have to wait until 3:45 p.m. on the benches outside the building or join the car line.
6. Anyone picking students up in the car line MUST HAVE A CARRIDER HANG TAG. If you do not have the hangtag, you will be asked to go back to the front of the building and park. You will be able to retrieve your child from the office at 3:50 p.m. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE. If you need an extra hangtag at any point, additional tags can be purchased for $.50 in the office.
To heighten the safety for all students, parents/guardians of car riders are asked to remain in their cars during dismissal of students. As students walk out of the building, they will be instructed by the duty teacher where to go. Students are not to run down the side of vehicles or between rows of traffic to get into cars. Teachers will instruct students to enter vehicles that are in the spaces as they come out. When an entire row of cars is full, the duty teacher will remove the cone of that row and you will be allowed to leave. Please do not pull out until all students are safe in their vehicle and the teacher removes the cone. This procedure will best ensure the safety of all students and motorists. Please follow these rules and clarify with your child they are to wait at until they are called. The upper front driveway is for busses only. Cars are not to pull into the FRONT LOT as the school busses will be loading in and exiting from that area. Please pull through the lower lot and around the building without blocking the main drive.
The side parking lot CANNOT BE USED TO PARK AT DROP-OFF or DISMISSAL. Cars will be exiting onto Main Street and it will be EXIT ONLY during drop off and dismissal. Please enter the lower parking lot and follow traffic to keep your students safe. Y-Care parents may enter the parking lot until 7:30. After 7:30, Y-Care parents should also follow the drive around the building to avoid backing traffic up in the upper lot next to the cafeteria.
CHANGES IN AFTER SCHOOL TRANSPORTATION
If your child’s transportation after school is different than what they normally do, please send a note to school with your child notifying their teacher and the office of the change for that particular day. Please limit phone calls to the office at the end of the day to last minute or emergency situations that require a change in student plans. Sending notes with your student will reduce confusion for students and staff at the end of the day that excessive calls can create. If it is necessary to make changes to transportation, please contact the office by 2:00 p.m.