First UMC Sealy Digest
A look at happenings at First United Methodist Church Sealy
ONE service this Sunday: Easter Cantata & Palm Sunday at 10 am. Eggstravaganza at 1pm
This Sunday, March 20: Easter Cantata & Palm Sunday (10 am). Eggstravaganza at 1pm
Holy week begins Sunday. For Christians around the world, Holy Week is a week of great spiritual depth. It’s a time for worship services that remind us of God’s great plan for us in the life, teaching, suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. And it all beings this weekend with Palm Sunday: recalling Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem and his journey to the cross. "Blessings on the king who comes in the name of the Lord. Peace in heaven and glory in the highest heavens." Luke 19:38 CEB
This is the LAST WEEKEND to purchase an Easter Lily. Order forms are in the pews. Plants are just $10. For more information, see Margaret Warriner or the church office.
Holy Week: Holy Week is a week of great spiritual depth, a celebration of the journey toward the cross, Christ's resurrection and a God who makes all things new. It’s a time for worship services that remind us of God’s great plan for us in the life, teaching, suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- Palm Sunday & Easter Cantata, 10 am (ONE service only): Traditionally marks the beginning of Holy week. Recalling Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem and his journey to the cross.
- Holy Thursday Service of Worship, at 6:30 pm – Remembering Christ’s final acts of love and servant hood and we gather at the table.
- Good Friday Prayer Vigil (come and go prayer 6-10 pm) – One of the most solemn Holy Days within the life of the church. On this day, we witness our Lord’s unchanging love for us as He willingly gives His life for our sake. This Good Friday, we’ll observe the ancient tradition of watching over the Lord’s tomb, remembering His sufferings and death for our salvation. We will begin this sacred watch at 6 pm and end at 10 pm, but you are encouraged to carry it forth as you go to our own homes, mindful through the night of Christ’s saving act of grace for us.
- Sunrise Service, Sunday at 7 am – Our very own Pastor Curtis deliver the sermon at this year’s 76th Annual Easter Sunrise Service in the Stephen F. Austin Historical Park. (The park is located next to the Brazos River Bridge on FM 1458 in San Felipe.) Since 1940 an Easter sunrise service has been held at the park, sponsored by our friends at San Felipe UMC. Ministers from San Felipe, Bellville, Pattison, Brookshire and other surrounding areas participate in this celebration. It is for all Christians. ALL are invited to attend this beautiful and moving worship service!
- FUMC Easter Service, Sunday at 10 am – Celebrate the Good News of the empty tomb at FUMC Sealy. Plan now to bring cut flowers to flower our Easter Cross.
AROUND FIRST UMC SEALY:
RICE DONATIONS NEEDED March’s goal for our year of giving 130 things is RICE! First United Methodist Church Sealy celebrates 130 years of ministry this year. To commemorate the special occasion, we are collecting or doing 130 things each month. Our goal is to collect and deliver 130 pounds of RICE to the Sealy Christian Food Pantry this month. Donation boxes are in the Narthex and Church Offices.
WE ARE HIRING! We are seeking a Children’s/Youth Ministry Coordinator at First United Methodist Church in Sealy, to lead a vibrant program that provides a fun, effective way for children to develop a relationship with God and with each other for the transformation of the world. More information coming soon ... but email Pastor Curtis if you know someone who is interested!
GET SOCIAL! Check out our Facebook page and "like" us! It’s a great way to stay involved in the church’s everyday activities.Please 'Like' our page and get involved socially!
Raising Academic Performance (RAP) is in need of a mentor for a Sealy Elementary student. Elementary students are 5-9 years old and are seen by mentors from 30 minutes to one hour per week. Mentors encourage students to do better in school, have fun with them and help equip them for life by being positive role models! RAP provides training and ongoing support. Please help them make a positive impact on a child’s life by becoming a mentor. Contact Carla Reichardt at 979-877-8597 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMING THIS MONTH & BEYOND
WEEK #6: FINAL LENTEN BROWN BAG LUNCH (SAN FELIPE)
Wednesday, March 16th, 12pm
200 Atchison Street
Brookshire, Fulshear, Pattison, and Sealy area Lenten Lunches: All area churches are invited to our “United Methodist Connection Lenten Brown Bag Lunches.”
Lent is a season of the Christian year when people are invited to simplify their lives to focus on their relationship with God in Christ. Everyone is invited to each host church to fellowship, worship, learn, and grow. So bring your brown bag lunch and join us. Schedule, maps and more details are on our website.
NEXT UP: March 23
- Where: San Felipe UMC 201 Vicaro Guerero St
- Speaker: Rev. Joel McMahon III