Crestview Elementary and Nuevas Fronteras Spanish Immersion
Staff Update: January 1st, 2014
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I love the new year! Full of endless possibilities, renewed enthusiasm, and a long list of things I want to accomplish, both personally (the garage will get cleaned out this year) and professionally (so many books to read!). I hope that each of you found some time to connect with people you love and celebrate the winter holidays over break, and I am sincerely looking forward to seeing you all back at school tomorrow!
Notes about the new Recess/Lunch Schedule:
- The new year is a perfect time to reteach/revisit/remind students about hallway behavior and expectations. Take time on Thursday and Friday to set up clear expectations for how students should walk and act while in the hallways as well as at their lockers. What does it look like, sound like and feel like to be respectful, responsible, safe and kind in the hallway?
- CRESTVIEW: the Crestview classrooms will exit to the playground for recess using the Crestview bus doors by Paula Monson's room. Teachers should walk their classes (quietly) to the doors and the Recess/Lunchroom Paras will meet the students at the door. For indoor recess, please pack up your students' iPads and walk them (quietly) to the media center.
- NUEVAS FRONTERAS: the Nuevas classrooms will exit to the playground for recess using the Nuevas bus doors by 5th grade. Teachers should walk their classes (quietly) to the doors and the Recess/Lunchroom Paras will meet the students at the door. For indoor recess, please walk them (quietly) to the media center.
- AFTER RECESS: Students will re-enter the building through the playground doors by the staff lounge. Students should remove their hats/scarves/mittens, and stuff them into their coat pocket or sleeves. They can then put their coat on their seat before getting their lunches. (Which is what students are currently accustomed to doing.) Lunchroom staff will also give each student a squirt of alcohol-free hand sanitizer before they eat.
- Teachers: return to supervise their classes in the cafeteria during the last ten minutes of the lunch period. When your lunch time is ended, please line your students up and walk them (quietly) back to your classroom.
Revised Recess and Lunch Schedule
We are all excited about the benefits to our kids of putting recess first! If you would like to know more about the thinking and research behind RBL (Recess-Before-Lunch), check out the great information on the Peaceful Playgrounds website.
Staff Holiday Party this FRIDAY!!!
This Week and Next Week at a Glance:
Want to add something to this staff update?
The staff update will typically come out on via email on Thursday or Friday each week. If you have an item that you would like to include in this bulletin, please email it to Tina by Wednesday noon, and we’ll do our best to add it to the bulletin. Let’s work together to use this bulletin as our primary method for making all-school announcements, and hopefully by distributing information in one central way, we can decrease the number of emails that we all receive.