The Starside Communication - May 6, 2016
A Message from Your Counselor:
As a former classroom teacher, I realize this time of year is crucial to wrapping up curriculum for students to be successful the following year. As a new counselor to Starside, I have found it best to seek consensus from teachers and staff when making scheduling decisions. To better preserve academic time for teachers and students, teachers voted to combine our multiple end-of-year activities into a few days, rather than host several separate activities over a span of school days. Teachers were given the option to host grade-level awards, or individual classroom awards. Thus, our individual student awards (grades 2-5) will be held in classrooms on Field Day.
*Kindergarten does not host classroom awards.
**First grade individual rewards will go home in report cards.
Please look for more information, coming from your child’s classroom teacher, for the times of these awards.
A BIG congratulations to the students listed below who earned community service awards this year!
Gold Presidential Service Award (75+ Hours)
Silver Presidential Service Award (50-74 Hours)
Bronze Presidential Service Award (26-49 Hours)
Starside Community Service Award (10-25 Hours)
Please click the link below for a new community service log, so students can log their community service over the summer.
Just print and get start logging your community service hours over the summer!
Enrollment information came home on Monday. Our goal is to have student enrollment completed by next Friday, May 13. It is fairly quick and painless, and the sooner we have our enrollment numbers, the easier it is to make appropriate arrangements for the 16-17 school year. If you have any questions about this process, please call the school office at 913-667-6270 Thank you!
Kindergarten Play based learning
Next year the kindergarten teachers are planning to set up a play based learning room to build on students’ creative and social skills. We are looking for donations, new or gently used items, to enhance this type of learning environment. If you have any of the following items (listed below) that you would like to donate, please email Ms. Chelsea Johnson at email@example.com.
Thanks so much for helping us set up a hands-on learning environment.
1. Play grocery carts
2. Environmentally safe grocery bags
3. Wallets and purses
5. Plastic play tool sets
6. Lego or Duplo tables
7. Legos or Duplo blocks
8. Lincoln Logs
9. Cookie sheets
10. Play- doh
11. Plastic Measuring cups, wooden spoons
12. Small clip boards
13. Assorted bags of dry beans (black, kidney, navy, etc.)
14. Kid-sized aprons
15. Play doctor or vet kits
16. Small, unused pet carriers (due to allergies)
17. Plastic pet dishes
- 7 - Schlitterbahn Sound Waves Music Festival 8-4pm
- 12 - Kindergarten Field Day 9:30-11:30
- 12 - 2nd Grade Field Trip Deanna Rose Farm
- 13 - Grades 1-5 Field Day 9:00 - 11:00 and 1:00 - 3:00
- 20 - Last Day of School!!
- Please send lunch money to school in an envelope with your child and teachers name.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please call the SE office by 9:00am to order a school lunch. Of course, you are always welcome to bring your own lunch.
- Lunch prices--$2.25 student/$3.45 adult/$.50 extra milk/juice.
- Thank you for letting your child's teacher know when they will be absent: It is very important that you also let the office know if your child will be absent!! Please report absences by 9:00am at 913-667-6279
- Online at http://bit.ly/1PtJPle
- If your child is absent and we have not received a message, we are required to call you or your emergency contacts.
- Extended absence form: If you will be taking your child out of school for more than 3 days, please complete an extended absence form.
The staff appreciation committee would like to thank those who contributed items for staff appreciation week! We know this time of year is incredibly busy, and we are grateful for all that you do to help our staff know that their time and efforts are valuable to us.
Amy & Erin
LOST AND FOUND ON DISPLAY
Please take a moment to stop by and see if you have items
before they are donated after field day on May 13th.
USD #232 Summer Band Camp for 4th-12th graders.
$35 per session. Each summer session will take place in the LTMS band room.
June 20-24 and June 27- July 1
8-9am New Instrument Camp (try out different instruments- 4th-12th gr.)
9-10am Summer Band Camp (for 5th gr.)
10-11am Summer Jazz Camp (for 5th gr.)
Please check the link, and contact band director Rob Foster if you have questions.
accesss from at&t
We believe that student learning should not end when the bell rings...learning should be supported everywhere. Access from AT&T is a new program designed to help bridge the homework gap for students and families by bringing low-cost home Internet service to qualifying households.
Access from AT&T offers discounted wireline home Internet service to qualifying households with at least one resident who participates in the U.S.D.A. Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP).
There is NO term commitment, NO deposit, NO installation fee and NO charge for an in-home Wi-Fi capable gateway.
AT&T wireline Internet coverage in your area may be limited.
Visit our website for complete program details, including: pricing, speed tiers, and eligibility requirements.
AT&T is collaborating with EveryoneOn,
a national non-profit working to eliminate the digital divide.
Please join us for a webinar about Access from AT&T, where we will share resources you can use to get the word out to your students and their families.