Ms. Jennings's 1st Grade Newsflash
December 4, 2015
FIELD TRIP!!!!! **********
Our field trip to Coterie Theater to see Charlie Brown Christmas is scheduled for next Friday, December 11th. Thank you to Mrs. Esch and Mr. Kaleikau for volunteering to go our on trip. I had an overwhelming number of parents volunteer to go, and I truly wish I could have taken all of you. Please remember that we have another trip coming up in April and I will need several volunteers for that one!
We are loading the buses at 8:45 a.m. so please make sure your child is at school and on time. Since our show is scheduled for 10:00, we are on a tight schedule and have to be loaded and gone before 9:00. We should return to school by noon, so your child does NOT need to bring a lunch.
Recess: Unless the temperature is below freezing, we will go outside for recess. I am a firm believer in fresh air and movement, so I try and get the kiddos outside as much as possible. Please make sure your child has their winter coat with them every day. There was a pretty chilly day last week and we had several kiddos with hoodies or no coat on. If you need a coat for your child, please email me and let me know. I have several coats at home.
What's Been Going On This Week...
- Reading--We are still continuing to learn about story elements and character analysis. We have been reading the story, The LIttle Red Hen. Not only did the students identify the characters, setting, problem and solution, they also talked about what Habits were being practiced in the story! Please, please, please encourage your child to read at home every night for at least 20 minutes.
- Phonics/Sight Words This week, I went ahead and finished long vowels and moved on to open vowels. Next week, we will be working on final diagraph -ck. The rule I teach the kiddos is that the vowel the comes before the "ck" is almost always a short vowel. deck, sock, neck, stick, black, trick.
Words that we will be learning to spell are: deck, sock, neck, stick, black, trick,. As you practice writing these words, don't focus on memorizing the letters. Focus on stretching each word out, like a piece of bubble gum, and writing the sounds that they hear.
- Sight words: Fort Osage uses the Fry Sight Word Lists. You should have received your child's sight words either in the planners or in their black folders. The goal for all first graders is to know all 100 of the first 100 sight words. Many students already know their first 100 and are working on harder lists. Some students are still working on learning their first 100 sight words. Please look over the lists and especially practice the words that are highlighted in blue. I'll be rechecking their progress in a few weeks.
- Math--Next week, we will review subtraction strategies and will take our DCA starting on Wednesday. Please practice subtraction facts with your child.
- Writer's Workshop--For the rest of December, we will be finishing our stories. I have noticed that students are writing more and including more details in their stories!
- Leader in Me--Our December focus is Habit 3...Put first things first. You can help your child develop this skill by reminding them that it is always important to get their work done first, then play.
Specials~December 7 to 11
- Monday, December 7--Library
- Tuesday, December 8--PE/Music
- Wednesday, December 9--Art
- Thursday, December 10--Music/PE
- Friday, December 11--Library
Kiddos getting ready to practice for our program!
1st Graders looked fantastic!
How The Penguins Saved Christmas
Great job, 1st Grade!
- December 10 and 11--Santa Workshop
- December 11--Field Trip to Coterie Theatre to see A Charlie Brown Christmas
- December 22--Early Release
- December 23-January 4--Winter Break. Classes resume January 5.
- January 18--No School
- February 12--Early Release
- February 15--No School