October 20th, 2023
Dear Marysville Families
Thank you to the Marysville Family Association for another wonderful popcorn Friday. I love that the weather is cooperating for our celebrations.
i have some important announcements to share below along with more information about the potential Teacher Union Strike.
- The amazing Marysville students have almost filled the Pawsitive Ticket bucket again. Next week they will be voting on the school wide Celebration to honor their achievements.
- Marysville Fall Festival
- Date: Tuesday, October 31, 2023
- Activity: Let’s bring the pumpkin patch to Marysville
- Pick a pumpkin
- Pumpkin Races/balance on head
- Sensory Activity
- Dia de los Muertos parade, at 2:30 pm (parents can attend)
- Student Dismissal Request - Please don't call to change pick up time after 2:30. We can not guarantee students will get the message after that.
- Report card preview for the new Kindergarten - 5th grade report card.
- School Behavior Consequences
- At Marysville we hold a community value of collective care. A large part of this is making sure everyone can learn in a safe, calm, and emotionally regulated school environment.
- We support students learning appropriate behavior skills so that they can be successful learners.
- We follow a continuum of support for students engaging in disruptive or unsafe behavior. We follow these procedures to help students regulate at school, but students that can't settle into safe behavior can not remain at school for the day.
- In order to make sure everyone has the opportunity to learn we will be adopting the following policy when supporting students with unsafe behavior.
- Redirect. De-escalate and return to class.
- Phone conference with parents. De-escalate and return to class.
- Student is sent home. PK has the option for parent to come and sit in class with student or take their student home.
- Students will be allowed to return once parents have met with school administration and created an intervention to prevent further unsafe behavior from occurring.
- Link to the Student Rights and Responsibilities handbook for more specific information.
Teacher Strike Information
The district and the PAT union are continuing negotiations. However if agreement is not reached, the union is planning to strike beginning November 1st.
More information can be found below.
Resources for families and students: If teachers strike, we will have to close schools. While there will be no in-person classes nor online instruction, we have published this Family Resources webpage and this Resources to Support Learning webpage to support our students and their families.
Many of you have asked if a strike will extend our school year. We will need to consider the length of a strike against state requirements, inclement weather days, and other factors. Once negotiations are complete and a date has been selected to reopen schools, we will provide everyone with additional information regarding a revised school year, if needed.
5th Grade to 6th Grade Transition Updates
Hello 5th grade students and families!
While it may be hard to believe, middle school will be here before we know it. As the 5th grade school counselor for Marysville, one of my responsibilities is to help 5th graders get ready for middle school, and answer any questions students and families may have. One of the most frequently asked questions I receive is, “Can I go to any middle school I want to?” Just to clarify, a student is assigned to a neighborhood middle school based on their primary address in Synergy, regardless of what elementary school the student attends or which middle school that elementary school feeds into.
If a student wants to look into attending a middle school other than their neighborhood middle school, students/families can apply online during the open enrollment timeframe. Please visit PPS Moving to MS Info Website for more information including dates of times of 6th grade information nights for 5th grade families.
Fall 2023 - PPS will send each 5th grade family a letter indicating assigned school for 6th grade, transfer options and timelines
November 15-December 15- Application window for lottery options
During Parent Teacher Conferences, we will have information available for you to learn more about middle school and the options that are available. In addition to sharing middle school options, we will also share about how middle school is different and ways parents and guardians can support the transition and much more.
Please feel free to reach out anytime with questions, especially regarding transitioning to middle school. I can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call or text me at 503-916-6363.
Sakura Hamada School Counselor - Marysville Elementary 7733 SE Raymond St. Portland, OR 97206 Phone: 503-916-6363 - Email: email@example.com 日本語も話せます
School Counselor - Marysville Elementary
7733 SE Raymond St. Portland, OR 97206
Phone: 503-916-6363 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org