SPS Board Highlights
May 3, 2021
Several Shawnee Public Schools retirees were recognized during the SPS Board of Education meeting. They are, back row, from left, Vicki Plank, child nutrition, Jefferson Elementary; Mandy Hillhouse, English language arts, Shawnee Middle School; Carolyn Shirley, chemistry teacher, Shawnee High School; and Jan Steffen, assistant band director, Shawnee Middle School. Bottom row, from left, are Jeanne Swinney, music teacher, Sequoyah Elementary; Jane Callahan, second grade teacher, Sequoyah Elementary; Marilyn Finley, reading specialist, Sequoyah Elementary; and Brent Houston, assistant superintendent.
Board members approved the following officers:
- April Stobbe, president
- Keith Sandlin, first vice president
- Clif Harden, second vice president
- Bobby Canty, clerk
Dr. April Grace was recognized for receiving the OASA District 9 Superintendent of the Year Award. Pictured are, from left, Clif Harden, Larry Walker, Bobby Canty, Keith Sandlin, Dr. April Grace, Ian Brown and Kristen Wilson.
Board member Larry Walker gave the following report:
- The district recently had a retiree, Carolyn Shirley, on the front page of the Shawnee News-Star. He stated both of his daughters had the privilege of having her as a teacher. Mr. Walker then thanked all retirees.
- Horace Mann and Will Rogers both received OETT grants worth $65,000 each.
- Creed Humphrey, a Shawnee High School graduate, recently signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Will Rogers won the RAMP Counseling Award.
- The view at Jefferson has changed with the Kickapoo Motel recently being demolished.
- All six players from the SHS Girls Tennis Team have qualified for State.
- Aubrie Megehee was selected for the All-State Basketball Team
- Kelsey Grovey, a Shawnee and University of Tulsa graduate and Shawnee Middle School teacher, was featured on local news stations for organizing a Zoom meeting with Kevin Durant and some of her students.
- All board members are invited to come by after graduation at 11 p.m. to Project Graduation.
- He thanked Elisabeth Slay, Brian Johnson and Natasha Dunagan for the coverage they have done of our schools in the local newspapers.
- He announced that Superintendent Dr. April Grace has been selected as the 2021 OASA District #9 Superintendent of the Year.
The Board approved the following during the meeting:
- all consent docket items;
- the Resolution for Schools and Libraries Universal Services (E-Rate) for 2021-2022;
- the lease agreement for Stucker and paving at Will Rogers and Jefferson with Pottawatomie County Sales Tax funds in FY22;
- Renewal of other lease agreements for payment in FY22;
- all personnel items as presented.
Board Agendas Available Via Public Link
Current Shawnee Public Schools Board of Education meeting agendas and minutes are available at our public link. Board meetings are usually scheduled for the first Monday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Board Room located at the SPS Central Office, 326 N. Union.