Your weekly update for all things LTHS Vol. 4
Open House Recap
Thank you for a great Open House. The overall feeling from parents about the format we used this year was generally positive. We received great feedback from parents and staff on possible tweaks to making Open House a better experience all the way around.
We have made it through almost all of the "firsts" to start a school year; first day, first pep rally, first progress report, etc. The next few weeks will allow all of us to get in the swing of things consistently with fewer interruptions.
Have a great week. Go Cavs!
What's Good at LTHS This Week!
Monday, September 19th - B Day
Choir - Parent Meeting, 6:30pm, L-130
Tuesday, September 20th - A Day - CavTime Schedule
School Photos - 9th thru 11th Grades - PAC Lobby
Community Job Fair, 2:30 - 4:30pm, Annex DMC
Tennis - Varsity HOME vs. Westlake, 4:00pm
Volleyball - HOME vs. Lehman, 9th Black & JV - 5:30pm, 9th Red & Varsity - 6:30pm
Wednesday, September 21st - B Day
School Photos - 9th thru 11th Grades - PAC Lobby
Tennis - HOME vs. Westlake, Varsity Boys & JV - 4:00pm
Cheer - Booster Meeting, Board - 5:30pm, General - 6:00pm, Room E203
Thursday, September 22nd - A Day
FFA - Lone Star District Meeting, 12:00pm - 9:00pm
Tennis - JV AWAY vs. Westlake, 4:00pm
Football - 9th Gr Red HOME vs. Austin High, 6:00pm, Track Stadium
Football - 9th Gr White AWAY vs. Hays, 5:30pm, 9th Gr Black AWAY vs. Hays, 7:00pm
Football - JV White HOME vs. Buda Hays, 5:30pm, JV Black HOME vs. Buda Hays, 7:00pm
Boys Soccer - Parent Meeting, 6:30pm, Men's Field House Meeting Room
Junior Parent Meeting, 6:30pm, Annex Recital Hall, College Application Process
Project Graduation Meeting, 6:30pm, Room E203
Friday, September 23rd - B Day - CavTime Schedule
Golf - Boys at Lake Travis Shootout, Lakecliff GC
Tennis - Varsity HOME vs. Klein, 4:00pm
Volleyball - AWAY vs. Hays, 9th Gr Black & JV at 5:30pm, 9th Gr Red & Varsity at 6:30pm
Football - Varsity AWAY vs. Buda Hays, Shelton Stadium, 7:30pm
Saturday, September 24th
Aquatics Class to Port Aransas, 5:00am - 10:00pm
Saturday School, 8:00am to 4:00pm, Room E-203
Cross Country - Texas A&M Invitation, Watts XC Course
-Teacher Bio & Contact Information
If you need help please see Marisa in the DMC.
Required Staff Trainings
FERPA and PPRA
Bullying Management for Teachers
LTISD Section 504
One time only
Child Abuse Responsibilities
Mental Health SB 460, Part 1
Mental Health SB 460, Part 2
Mental Health SB 460, Part 3
Suicide Awareness and Prevention
Link for new employees:
Link for returning employees:
LTHS Teachers Doing Great Things
I met with a parent recently who spoke so highly of Jody Foy and how she instilled a love of English into her very reluctant son. This parent specifically mentioned how Jody pushes her son to stretch himself without him realizing he is trying. Great job Jody!
LTHS Students Doing Great Things
- Congrats to the Cavalier Band who made the long trek to McAllen for the Bands of America competition. Our band made the finals and placed 4th overall. This is the first stop on the road to State this year! Great job to all involved!
- LTHS had 5 students named as National Merit Scholarship Semi-Finalists: Spencer Buckner, Hussam Djadi, Sara Flinn, Jake Ruggiero,Jenny Wu. These students represent less than 1% of all high school seniors across the nation.
- We also had 14 National Merit Commended Scholars: River Aguirre, Emily Bian,Olivia Bowers, Patrick Cavanagh, William DeSimone, Natasha Fisher, Matthew Hammond, Catherine Johnson, Milana Knaplund, Kyle Knight, Sameer Mohamed, Amanda Moulckers, Derrin Ngo, Kenneth Palmer. These students represent the top 2/3 of test takers.
LT TENNIS STAFF/TEACHER APPRECIATION- Tuesday Sept.20
We would like to invite you to our annual staff/teacher appreciation night as the #2 state-ranked LT tennis team takes on district rival Westlake on Tuesday September 20th. Come on out to the LT tennis courts for some great matches right after school. We will be serving food from Little Greek and will have drawings for gift cards for staff members. We really appreciate all you do for our tennis athletes and can’t wait to see you at the match. Come ready to cheer loudly for our biggest match so far this year!
Please RSVP to Coach Creel (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that we can order from Little Greek by Monday at 10 a.m.
Nuts and Bolts
- Make sure you flatten your boxes for recycling and remove any heavy duty staples; I don't want our recycling kids to injure themselves.
- Download a digital version of the emergency red binder in the App store, search for My EOP, Lake Travis.
- Get the Lake Travis ISD App and stay up to date on all things LTISD.
- Announcements are done during 2nd/6th periods daily after the 10:35 attendance chime. Our attendance taking has improved since last year. Please continue to be diligent.
- Announcement Link: http://goo.gl/kxva0e
- Please make sure you call the office before sending a student; sometimes they don't make it.
- It needs to benefit your current students
- Must be tied to your TEKS (attach the TEKS covered with your submission)
- Professional development is not covered
In order to ensure you have the best opportunity to secure funding, your submission should be completed and turned in to the PTO Mailbox by October 28th. The PTO Wish List form will be emailed tomorrow with The Daily Dish. Please let me know if you have any questions.
- Benefits open enrollment for all staff is September 12th-22nd, with a benefits fair being held on 9/20 from 7:30 to a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the EDC.
- 9/13 Donella Chalmers
- 9/17 Marisa Mejia
- 9/18 Lea Bertsch
- 9/18 Richard Wager
- 9/19 Omar Ochoa
- 9/20 Alison Fanning
- 9/20 Diane Wrinkle
- 9/23 Sandy Surdy
- 9/24 Minia Lopez-Minguela
Articles of Note
Now that we are in the full swing of school and grades, I believe that the article below is very timely. Many of you have expressed dismay at the cheating that goes on at the high school level. It is not a problem unique to LTHS, but a high school problem that can only improve if the school, parents, and students all confront the issue collectively.