Fort Edward Elementary Newsletter
Fall Edition 2019
Falling Back into the School Routine
School is back in full swing, and September flew right by us, as it always seems to. Thank you to all for your patience as we adapted to the new traffic patterns on Case Street. We strive to keep our students safe at all times, so thank you for driving cautiously near school, and dropping students off in designated areas only.
We want to see your child in school every day! Did you know that student attendance is a critical component in your child's education? Tardiness and absenteeism negatively affect student learning. Here are a few facts from Attendance Works (www.attendanceworks.org):
- Absenteeism in the first month of school can predict poor attendance throughout the school year. Half of the students who miss 2-4 days in September go on to miss nearly a month of school.
- Absenteeism and its ill effects start early. One in 10 kindergarten and first grade students are chronically absent.
- Poor attendance can influence whether a student can read proficiently by the end of third grade.
- By 6th grade, chronic absence becomes a leading indicator that a student will drop out of high school.
- Research shows that missing 10% of the school year, or about 18 days of school, negatively affects a student's academic performance. This is only 2 days per month, and is called chronic absence.
Thank you for your help in developing the habit of attending school each day, and on time.
Thanks to all who attended Open House on September 12, 2019. Family members were able to meet teachers, view classrooms, and learn about the educational programs your children are participating in. Sign ups for Parent-Teacher Conferences (November 22, 25, & 26) were available. If you did not yet sign up for a conference day and time, your child's teacher will be in touch with you soon.
- Code of Conduct
- Computer Acceptable Use Policy
- Sexual Harassment Policy
- DASA Policy
- Attendance Policy
From the Health Office
- A huge thank you to everyone who supported the PTO frozen food fundraiser. All orders will be delivered the week of November 18th, 2019.
- Please like the PTO on Facebook. You’ll find all meetings times and all other announcements on our page. Our meetings are now held in the Elementary Teacher’s Lounge and we are always looking for new members.
- 10/31 - Halloween Parade and Performance, Auditorium, 8:30 AM (doors open at 8:15)
- 11/1 - No School for Students, Superintendent's Conference Day
- 11/6 - Picture Retake Day
- 11/11 - No School, Veteran's Day
- 11/12 - Board of Education Meeting, 6:30 PM
- 11/22, 11/25, 11/26 - 12:00 Dismissal for Parent-Teacher Conferences
- 11/27-11/29 - No School, Thanksgiving Break
Enrichment Club - Tuesdays & Thursdays after school
Second grade learns about Honey!
Lost & Found
All County Chorus
Jazz Band, Elementary Chorus, Junior High Chorus, and Senior High Chorus will all perform.
Tickets: Adults - $5.00, Students/Senior Citizens - $2.00, children under age 5 free
There will be students from Fort Edward performing, so please come and see a great concert!
Digital Citizenship Week
Congratulations to Lily Abrams and Patrick Boucher, who were recognized at the October Board Meeting
For having been published in the Chronicle Newspaper. Well done, Lily and Patrick!
Parents will be welcomed into the auditorium on Halloween Day at 8:30 AM (doors open at 8:15)
- Our young students in Pre-K (AM), Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grades will parade across the stage in their costumes, one class at a time
- Our students in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades will take the stage, and each grade will sing a song
- The band will then play some Halloween songs for us as well
The program will conclude at about 9:15 AM. All parents and family members are welcome to attend! Please send students to school in their costumes.
We have many treats and candies here at school on Halloween. Rather than sending sweets into school, we will have a collection of non-perishable food items for our Backpack Program instead. This is voluntary, of course, and we do appreciate your support of this important program!
We hope to see you in the Auditorium on Halloween morning at 8:30!