Wood Elementary - September 16, 2016
Next Week... and Beyond!
- Steering Committe Meeting
- Data Day (K-2: 8:00-9:30) (3-5: 9:30-11:45)
- Weigh In for the start of our Biggest Loser contest!
Tuesday- Grade Level Meetings in Carey's office
- Begin RtI
- CW (Collaborative Work with RPDC) overview from 3:45-4:45 in library. Mandatory for new to Wood teachers. If you have been here in the past, you are encouraged to come for the beginning as a refresher!)
- Elem Admin meeting in the AM
Friday- Popcorn on the playground
- Success Skill award winners due on the Google Doc
9/26- Love of Reading Day- Johnny Appleseed theme
- Steering Committee Meeting
9/30- All school assembly to celebrate our monthly Success Skills (char ed) award winners at 9 in the gym
- Writing prompt should be completed
- Success Sills (formerly known as Character Ed) assembly at 9
10/2- Custodian Appreciation Day
10/4- New Crew meeting at 3:45 in conf room
10/5- Pot Luck Breakfast
10/6- PTO meeting at 3:45
10/7- Homecoming- Dismiss at 1:00 then go straight to parade. (Note- this is still a full contract day for staff.)
10/10- Full day teacher in-service at High School. Paras off this day.
10/9-10/14- School Lunch and Fire Prevention Week
10/11- Staff Meeting
10/12- Lunch in the Lab w Robin
- Fire Safety with the Fire Dept at Wood (more info to come)
10/14 End of 1st Quarter
- Picture re-take day
- Popcorn on the Playground
PBS Focus of the Week!
Social Skills Mini Lessons-
Continue to REVIEW/RETEACH/PRACTICE Expectations/Super Skills with your class!
Tiger Bucks and Compliment Cards
SLO Info.... (say that 3 times ;-)
SLOs- What to expect:
- What is a SLO?
- A goal set by a teacher that demonstrates a portion of the teacher’s impact on student learning within a given interval of time.
- A measurable, long-term academic target.
- Aug-Sept: Pre-Assessments and Baseline Data (STAR & pre-tests)
- September 13th: Faculty Meeting SLO Overview
- Sept. 14- Oct. 7th: Development of SLO Outline (with grade level team)
- October 7th: SLO Draft Due
- October 11th -27th: Feedback from SLO team
- October 28th: Final SLO submission
- October 31st – Feb 24th: Interval of Instruction
- March 6th: SLO Results Due
Reminders... from the Green Team
- Turn your lights off when you leave the room
- Turn your SMART board off when it's not in use
- Turn lamps off when you are not in the room
Do you have trouble remembering to do these? Ask your students to help you remember. I bet you have some students who would be happy to give you friendly reminders!
I found this and thought it was awesome. Would be good to share with our students so they can see a "bigger picture" of recycling.
- T-Shirt sales are happening NOW. Check out the design in the office.
- Back to School Bingo- 9/16/16 6:00-8:00pm
- Popcorn Friday 9/23/16- Will be delivered to your kids on the playground (recess).
- Box Top collection 10/20/16
- Bake Sale during conferences 10/20/16
- Fall carnival 11/10/16
- Next Meeting- 1-/6/16 at 3:45
Staff Absence- Duty Coverage
Nuts and Bolts from my admin meeting
- PLEASE do not plan any field trips the last 2 weeks of the school year!
- Please do not use Go Fund Me or Donor's Choose unless you have talked to me first.
- Did you miss the ASIRT training? If so, a video of the training was recorded. Let me know and I will get it for you!
- All future orders for OPAA will NOT contain peanut butter.
- ALL technology purchases need to go through the District Media Center.
Google Drive Tip.....
1. When someone shares a Doc with you it goes to your SHARED WITH ME section in Drive. If you don't do anything, THIS WILL BECOME A DUMPING GROUND!
2. You should sort though these docs and find what is important to you.
3. Right click on each Doc that is important to you and click move to MY DRIVE.
4. Go to MY DRIVE and then you can create folders to store your important Docs.
**Need help? Just ask. I will be happy to help you. It's better to learn now than wait until later! **A stitch in time saves nine!
Dates we plan to work at Ms. Biart's:
Monday, Sept 12th - 1st evening
Wednesdays every week
Saturday, Sept 24
Saturday, Oct 1st
*If you are unable to come to the above days, but want to come at a different time, talk to Mr. Rose.
I-44 East to the Road Ranger Exit (#163), turn left at the exit
Turn right on the outer road at the Road Ranger
Follow this road for about 2 miles
Turn RIGHT onto Hoosier Dr. (is a small gravel road just past a church on the left)
---if you get to the storage units, you've gone too far
The garage is at the end of that road
Parent Teacher Conferences
Parent Teacher Conferences will run as follows:
Elementary Conferences will be held on Thursday October 20th from 4:00-7:30 and Friday October 21st from 8:00-12:15. All teachers are free to leave at 12:15.
Secondary Conferences will be held on Thursday October 20th from 3:00-7:00 and Friday October 21st from 7:30-11:15. All teachers are free to leave at 11:15.
Paraprofessionals do not work October 21st and do not need to stay the evening of October 20th.
Notes from the Wellness Committee
Greetings Wonderful Wood Staff,
The wellness committee met recently and would like to share two important upcoming events. First, The Wood Elementary Fall Biggest Loser will start on Monday, September 19th. Please see below for all of the details as the rules and guidelines has changed a little. We are hoping this helps to allow for more people to participate and not be stressed out about weekly weigh -ins.
Second, we are bringing back the Wood BootCamp this year. Wood BootCamp is a program designed to help those who want to workout but either don't have time once they get home or don't want to do it alone. If you fall in one or both of those two categories we want to encourage you to come on Tuesday and Friday Starting Tuesday, September 20th. You can come to one or both days it is whatever you can commit to. Kristian Carpenter is the personal trainer that teaches the classes and we have a lot of fun. She will help you set a goal for yourself and give you the skills to reach it. I have been training with her for 20 months and I have went from a size 24-26 to a size 18. I have a goal of a size 10-12 and I will get there slowly but surely. If you need motivation she is the one to help you. The cost of the program is $35 a month for the two days each week or $5 a day for just dropping in when you can. There is a form that needs to be filled out prior to your attending or the first night you attend. You can come see me for a copy of the form is you do not have yours that was placed in your box a couple of weeks ago. Hope to see you on Tuesday.
Wood Elementary Biggest Loser (Fall)
Everyone will weigh in the nurses office, on the same scale at the same time (preferably in the mornings between 7:30-8:00). This keeps things consistent.
We are measuring the percent of body weight lost.
We will have three mandatory weigh-ins this year to be in the running for the final cash prize. This is a 12 week program.
First weigh in - Monday, September 19, 2016 (Initial Weigh-in)
Second weigh in - Monday, October 24, 2016 (Mid Weigh-in, the winner will receive a fitness prize pack (1 free private personal training session, water bottle and other sports items value $50)
Third weigh-in - Monday, December 5, 2016
4. There is a $10.00 registration fee, which MUST be paid by your second weigh in.
5. You can still weigh-in every Monday if you need that weekly motivation, but you do not have to.
6. Each Monday the person with the highest percentage of weight lost for the week will win a weekly prize pack (not cash). We will be giving things like Free Jeans day, Drehle Dollars, sports items, etc.
7. You can join at any time during the first three weeks. (It will be harder to win if you wait)
8. The final winner will be the person who loses the largest percentage of body weight at the end of the 12 weeks.
9. The final winner will receive all of the money put into the pot during the first weigh-in minus! So for example if we have 20 people sign up then you will win $200.00.
Hope to see all of you at the scale and at Wood BootCamp. Come join in on the fun and let's sweat together.