Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
December 9, 2015
Mrs. Krapinski's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @Skrapinski
Upcoming Dates to Remember
December 11th Hour of Code
December 18th Market Day (see below)
December 18th Holiday Party
December 21-Jan 4 Holiday Break
Tests and Quizzes:
Friday, December 11 -
Vocabulary Test Topic 9
Math Medics Morning Work Quiz
Master Mathers Topic 9 & 10 Test
Morning Work Grammar Quiz
Wednesday, December 16 -
Thursday, December 17 -
Friday, December 18 -
Next Week's Special Area Classes
- Thursday- Day 1 Music
- Friday- Day 2 Art
- Monday - Day 3 P.E.
- Tuesday - Day 4 Music
- Wednesday - Day 5 Art
- Thursday - Day 6 P.E.
- Friday - Day 1 Music
What's Happening in Mrs. Krapinski's Class
Social Studies- Economy- Market Day
Our Economy Unit is in full swing!!
We are in the process of writing a business plan as we learn about the key aspects of our economy.
Remember that your child will be making a good to sell or providing a service. Please ask your child for a materials list for the item they will be making. If you can provide the materials for this activity we would truly appreciate it. We would like to have all materials at school as soon as possible so we can make a prototype to use in our advertising. We will begin production as soon as we have our materials.
If you are interested in helping us with production during the week of December 7th or 14th please let me know and we will work out a time for you to come. Production is taking place usually between 11:00-12:30. We really appreciate your support!! I have some students who need help ironing, perhaps using a glue gun and overall supervision :)
Hour of Code- December 7-11
- We will continue our small reading groups. When our small groups wrap up the students will be creating a project to show understanding of Because of Winn Dixie by either creating a diorama, a book cover, or a timeline. They will continue reading in partnerships and meeting with me to work on reading skills and discuss their current book selections.
- Students will continue to learn about strategies when reading independently.
- We will continue looking at and investigating nonfiction pieces including opinion and persuasive texts.
- We will continue our daily 5 activities where we will read, write, and do word work.
MATH MEDICS (3RD)
- We will continue learning about time to the half hour, quarter hour, and to the minute.
- We will learn about elapsed time and solve real world problems that involve this skill.
- We will continue with math workshop where the students practice math alone, with partners, and in groups while I get to know the students better as mathematicians.
- We will continue to solve real world problems using many different strategies that we have learned through exploration and through watching others.
- Students will be working to create their own math games, four blocks, and problems of the day. These will become part of our math workshop as they finish them.
MASTER MATHERS (4TH)
- Students are finishing up Lessons 9 & 10 (Multiplying/Dividing)
- A study guide is going home Wednesday and they will take their test on Friday, December 11th.
- We will continue to explore nonfiction authors and the reasons for writing a nonfiction book.
- We will begin looking at and writing opinion and persuasive pieces. We will write a persuasive advertisement for our business for Market Day.
- We will continue to write about topics of our choice.