District 97 Vision
Please click on the above link to see highlights from this past week. We are working to create a positive learning environment that is equitable, inclusive and focused on the whole child. No need to have a twitter account to view!
Brooks News to Know
Graduation Picture Re-Takes
Appropriate attire to be worn includes:
Shirt and tie
Suit or Dress
Sweater or Blouse
7th grade trip to Springfield
There's STILL time to register for the 7th grade trip to Springfield!
Late registration deadline is Friday, April 6! We would love for your daughter/son to join us on our ONE day trip to Springfield.
In order to register with World Strides, you can:
- Call World Strides directly (800-468-5899) - OR -
- Click World Strides to register online
- Please refer to Trip #149246
- The trip cost is $115 + 11.50 Late Fee = $126.50 and you will be required to pay the entire amount.
- Cost includes: transportation, entrance fees for the museums, and dinner
- If you are in need of financial assistance, please email Janorisè Robinson.
SAVE THE DATE: Parent Meeting on Tuesday, April 3 at 6:30 pm in Brooks Commons. We will discuss the itinerary and answer any questions you may have before we depart.
Easy ways to sign-up for the trip:
- Online: worldstrides.com/signup
- Phone: (800) 468-5899
Questions: contact Janorisè Robinson at email@example.com
Brooks Annual Jazz Night
Brooks Recycling Challenge
Team 7-1 is happy to report that we not only met our goal of 5,000 plastic items to be recycled in 10 weeks, but we exceeded it greatly: 6,346 items!
Throughout these 10 weeks we have had students really step up into the leadership roles. Students created a tally sheet for other's to take home to a petition for the district's consideration, updated social media and even a constructed a letter to our Representative Camille Lilly.
The Brooks EcoEagles and Julian Green Team have connected and will be submitting an application to cohost a booth at Oak Park's Earth Fest on April 21st.
Community Engagement Fellow at Cradles to Crayons
8th Grade Family High School Transition Information
Here is link to OPRFHS Transition PowerPoint shared at their January meeting with 8th grade families.
Recognizing Staff who Make a Difference
Thank you to those who have completed this form to recognize a GBMS staff member. All individuals receive a printed certificate highlighting your appreciation for their contributions!
Please be sure your background check has been completed if you'd like to volunteer to chaperone Field Trips
Sports and Club Information
Service Club CAN DO CHALLENGE
The CAN DO CHALLENGE begins TODAY!!!
Student can ring money or non-perishable food items to your advisory to donate to the OPRF Food Pantry. The points they earn will be added to their advisory’s total for the year. The advisory with the most points after this project gets to take a field trip to deliver the food to the food pantry and lunch at Lou Malnati’s!
Each dollar = 10 points
Each specialty food item = 5 points (Nut butters, canned chicken/tuna, low-sodium soups, whole grains, low-sodium beans)
All other food and toiletry items = 1 point
Advisories will be collecting items through April 30th.
You can also donate through the link listed below.
Monday 4/2 Practice at 7:30
Tuesday 4/3 and Weds we have games.
Thursday 4/5 Practice after school till 4:45
Friday 4/6 Practice at 7:30.
Tuesday 4/3 Practice 7:45am
Friday 4/6 Practice 7:30am
CLUB OPPORTUNITIES (can join anytime)
Each club meets weekly, unless otherwise notated below.
- ORFF Ensemble from 8:00am to 8:50am in D104 (first meeting was on 9/18). Participation is open to all students - no audition required, but enrollment is limited to 40 students. Interested students can sign-up and pick up permission slips outside of the music room (D104). For additional information contact Mr. Carrillo - firstname.lastname@example.org. Still opportunity to join.
- Ultimate Frisbee We will only meet on Mondays for the second trimester. Still 3:30-4:40 and meeting in the third floor gym. We plan on playing different types of frisbee activities in the third floor gym or the main gym when available. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Dajani at email@example.com or Mr. Gillespie at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Weather Permitting)
- Spoken Word from 3:30pm to 5:30 pm in room B205. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Lee at email@example.com
- EcoEagles from 3:30pm to 4:30pm in room C302. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Stamp at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chess Club from 3:30 to 4:45 in room B305. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Hausfeld at email@example.com.
- Rainbow Tribe after school until 4:30 in 2nd floor conference room next to PE classroom. Permission slip found here. Here are the dates club will meet: April: 10,24 and May: 8, 22, 29
If you have any questions, please email Ms. Olsen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spanish Club from 3:30 to 4:30pm in room B308. Here are all the Spanish club meeting dates for the year: 4/12, 4/26, 5/10, 5/24. If you have any questions please contact Mr. Lagioia at email@example.com or Ms. Villalobos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yearbook Club meeting from 3:30 to 4:30pm in room B202. We will meet every Thursday afternoon until the yearbook has been “put to bed." The yearbook goes to the publisher on April 25. We welcome all shutterbugs! If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Marsha Turner-Reid at email@example.com or Ms. Meaghan Pabellon at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guitar Club & Dance Studio are ongoing - registration forms are due to the BRAVO Office (D103). Open to ALL Brooks Students and is FREE to join! For more info visit: bravoperformingarts.org
- NEEDED: Pizza lunch volunteers on Friday. Keep an eye out for sign-ups on the BRAVO website!days from 10:55am-1:15pm. E-mail email@example.com if you are available and interested!
Get connected to PTO
Earn money for the Brooks PTO: When you shop at Amazon, begin your shopping through the link here and our PTO will earn 0.5% of your total sale, at no expense to you. First time Amazon Smile shoppers will find our organization by typing Gwendolyn Brooks Middle School Parent-Teacher Organization. Thank you for your continued support.
Subscribe to PTO Bulletin:
- The link to subscribe for families is http://eepurl.com/cgOObT
Next Community meeting is Monday, April 9th, 2018 at 7pm in the media center.
Next Coffee with Capuder is Friday, April 13th, 2018 at 8:30am to 9:30am in the Commons. Topic for conversation - Technology