Magical Fauna Year 1 Revision
The absolute basics of Year 1
Mme Jayne Pride
Lesson 1 - Classifications
Order of Sentience Examination Introduced
Saturday, March 1st 1800 at 12am
A creature who fails the OSE is determined Non-Sentient
A creature who kills the examiner (regardless of answers to exam) is determined Non-Sentient
A creature who is not physically alive is determined Deceased
Lesson 2 - Sagesse and Hippocampi
- Cloven Hoofed
- Can swim
The Great Change
- Female Sagesse do not have the potential to use their Magic.
- All male Sagesse may use their Magical Potential in order to transform into the Alpha Sagesse, however, as the Alpha may live up to 100 years, it is very rare that new Alphas are formed. Once a male Sagesse has become an Alpha, they cannot change back, and can only lose their status through death.
- The Alpha position is won in the same way as the mating rights.
- The most successful Sagesse will retreat off into a quiet part of the forest where he will stay for 5 days.
- The first day he will spend eating.
- On the second day, the Sagesse will lay down somewhere quiet to sleep, and whilst he is sleeping he will undergo the Great Change
- If at any time you try to approach the sleeping Alpha, the change will stop, reverse, and cause great stress to the Sagesse.
- The Alpha Sagesse does not mate
Borealis Academy is proud to say that our lake is home to two of the oldest Hippocampi in the world. Unusual for these creatures, they decided to mate for life, and chose Candle Lake as their home. They are now re-populating the lake which was devoid of Hippocampi for years, and are estimated to be around 250 years old. The scientific name of the Hippocampus is Balaena caballus, meaning Horse Sea-Monster. They are Federation Classified C - Will attack if provoked. They are also classified as Non-Sentient.
- Front half horse
- Back half fish
- Must surface to breathe air
- Reproduce via eggs
Lesson 3 - Slobberworms and Moonshrooms
- Female Slobberworms are bigger than males
- Female Slobberworms produce more mucus than males
- Male Slobberworms only produce mucus when in the mating state
- Have no discernable features
- Have 2 hooks on their head
- Reproduce via eggs
The Moonshroom is similar in appearance to the non-magical mushroom. However, the addition of its life source is what assigns the Moonshroom to Magical Fauna, not Magical Flora.The Moonshroom is one of my favourite creatures, not because of its attributes, but due to its incredible use in the delicate art of Transfiguration. The scientific name of the Moonshroom is Ajaricus luna, meaning Moon Mushroom. They are Federation Classified A - Harmless. They are also classified as Non-Sentient.
- Cap - fleshy top part
- Stipe - stem-like body part
- Facial features on the stipe
- Vital organs inside the stipe
- Neither male nor female
- Breed via spore dispersal
Lune Liquide Production
- Moonshrooms convert moonlight into Lune Liquide
- Similar to the process of photosynthesis
Oxygen + Water ---------------------> Lune Liquide + Carbon Dioxide
- Lune Liquide is stored in the cap
Lesson 4 - Magical Fauna in Potioneering
Pegasi Milk Teeth Controversy
- Pegasi milk teeth are used in the beauty potion Timeless Tincture
- Initially, these would be harvested by luring the foal away from its mother and ripping its teeth out
Removal of Pegasi Teeth made a Nationalised Crime
Friday, June 5th 1903 at 12am
Lesson 5 - Fuzzypuffs
Fuzzypuffs are magical creatures who are extremely tame and friendly, therefore making them perfect as a pet. The Fuzzypuff is a small, fluffy mammal whose scientific name is Pythonicus quamquam, meaning Magical, and Fuzzy. The Fuzzypuff is Federation Classified A - Harmless. They are also classified as Non-Sentient.
- Variety of colours
- Size and shape of a tennis ball
- Colour blind
- No arms or legs
- Small tail
- Move via rolling
- Can be domesticated
Lesson 6 - Banshees and Barghests
Banshees are magical creatures who present themselves as a human female, although these creatures are not human. The Banshee, whose scientific name is Spiritus mortem, meaning Spirit, (bringer of) Death is a classic omen of death. The Banshee is Federation Classified A - Harmless. The Banshee cannot harm anyone, they merely forewarn of death. Banshees are also classified as Sentient.
- Always female (although males declared not impossible)
- Created not born
- No sexual organs
- Many different lores about how Banshees are created - most common - a woman who died in horrific circumstances
- Banshees cry.
- A Banshee will appear to someone who is about to die
- A Banshees cry is unique to each person who hears it.
- The cry of the Banshee will be heard the loudest within the head of the actual victim. The Banshee will look directly at the victim, maintaining eye contact for the duration of the cry.
- Banshees cannot kill, they just warn of death
Barghests are large, furry, black canines, similar to the non-magical dog, however unlike the non-magical dog, they possess inherent magical ability. The scientific name of the Barghest is Canis praesagum, meaning Foreboding Dog. Again, surprisingly to many. these creatures are Federation Classified A - Harmless, they are not the cause of death, simply the warning. Barghests are also classified as Non-Sentient.
- Red eyes
- Barghests warn of death by howling.
- They will spend the night howling, outside their victims house.
- Barghests are not shy of humans
- The howl of Barghest sounds the same to all who hear it.
- The howl of the Barghests carry for miles.
- A Barghest will not harm their victim or any other humans.
- Barghests are surprisingly friendly creatures and will easily eat food from the hand of a human.
Lesson 7 - Unicorns
- Uncloven hooves
- Long horn protruding from the skull (up to 7 inches long)
- Can be approached freely by children
- Can be approached gently by adult females
- Cannot often be approached by adult males
- Non-Magicals cannot see Unicorns, they just see a white horse
Lesson 8 - Ghosts and Ghouls
- Ghosts will look like an ethereal version of their human body
- Appearance frozen at moment of death
- Cannot hurt humans
- Cannot be seen by non-magicals
- Ghosts remain ghosts for eternity - there is no 'moving on'
5 Stages of Grief
Denial - Ghosts will pretend to live.
Anger - Ghosts will shout, scream, and attempt to break things.
Bargaining - Ghosts will visit the site of their burial/body and attempt to talk to it
Depression - Ghosts will wail, groan, and isolate themselves
Acceptance - Ghosts will forget how it felt to live and embrace their afterlife fully.
Ghouls are living creatures who reside within dark spaces, such as attics or basements within magical households. They are similar to humans, possessing a head, two arms, and two legs attached to a torso. However, they are covered in dark, slimy skin and appear more monstrous than humans in general. The scientific name for Ghouls is Homo pallidum, literally meaning Human, Ghoul. Ghouls are Federation Classified A - Harmless and are also classified as Non-Sentient.
- Stand on two legs
- Large eyes and ears
- Poor eyesight
- Wail and moan
- Will live in dark spaces (often attics and basements of magical people)
- Will often be looked after by their adopted human family
- Unintelligent, unco-ordinated
Lesson 9 - Galderikkes and Tarbigums
Galderikkes are magical insects who feed from magical energy alone. They are often seen as pests, as they invade magical households to feed from magical objects which can be found there. Their scientific name is Lamprima sugatis, meaning Beetle which sucks (referring to it’s method of feeding). Galderikkes are Federation Classified A - Harmless. They are also classified as Non-Sentient.
- Feed from magical energy
- Pink bodies
- Blue legs
Tarbigums are magical molluscs who are giant in size. They are often unwanted, as their large size means they need to consume a huge amount of greenery, which they often find in magical gardens. Their scientific name is Helix gigas, meaning Giant land snail. Tarbigums are Federation Classified A - Harmless. They are also classified as Non-Sentient.
- Made up of shell and body
- Shells are multicoloured