Greyhound Newsletter 8/12/22
LOTS of Back To School Information!
Back to School 2022
Welcome back, Greyhound Family, and a special welcome to our newest Greyhounds!
Things happen quickly in August as we prepare for a new year with our students. I can't wait to see you all at Jump Start and Open House and look forward to welcoming our 9th graders at Hound Pack!
EHS newsletters will continue to be sent bi-weekly this year. We email them to the addresses in Infinite Campus so make sure those are updated and you haven't turned off school notices. We also email them to students and post them on our website. This one has a lot of information on it, probably more than you can read in one sitting, so hang onto it for reference later.
Important items included in this newsletter:
1. Required Fall Forms, including the Blended Learning Form required for all students
2. Optional forms including the big ones for seniors (parking and open campus lunch)
3. Schedule and Schedule Change Information
4. A link to the East Events 2 page printable calendar (still in very rough draft form)
5. JUMP START and school photo ordering information
Steps to Unlock New Student Passwords
- Fall MSHSL Activity participants need to do this quickly to access registration and payment online.
- Chromebooks will be waiting for students in WIN on the first day of school IF THE FORM IS COMPLETED by September 1. If not you may have to wait!
- School email, Infinite Campus, and Canvas are critical to our students school experience. These are all locked until the form is completed.
Jump Start is Scheduled for Wednesday, August 24, 2022 from 12:00-5:45 pm.
Jump Start registration will take place on Wednesday, August 24, 2022 from 12:00-5:45 p.m. This year to control the flow and lines, we are again asking that you sign up for a time slot. Please click here or on the button below to sign up: Jump Start 2022
*DO NOT ARRIVE EARLY, the doors will not be opened until 12:00
What is Jump Start?
- Students will receive their schedule and locker assignments. Parents/Guardians are welcome to join their students at Jump Start.
- All students in grades 9-12 will have their school pictures taken on this day. For grades 9-11 this photo is for the yearbook and a new student ID. Seniors are required to get their photo taken for an ID that all students MUST have. You must be recognizable, no face paint, hats or sunglasses.
- All required forms are linked in this newsletter and can be found on our website. We ask that you complete the forms prior to Jump Start but they are all REQUIRED to be completed by Friday, September 9, 2022. If you are unable to complete the forms online we will have paper forms available at Jump Start and in the office during open hours.
- Visit our Activity Fair! It will be also open again during Open House. This is an amazing chance to visit tables set up around our commons area and learn more about the incredible opportunities to participate in activities outside the classroom.
- If you are entering grades 10, 11, or 12 and are new to our building, we will have students available on Jump Start Day to take you on a tour. Take the opportunity to find your classes and learn your way around. (9th grade students will have full tours during Hound Pack on August 31.)
Printed Planners will be available for all students again this year. Pick up at Jump Start or in the Main Office after Jump Start.
Click the flyer above to place an online order for school photos!
The link above is active for 48 hours after picture day. Once this code expires, families can still order pictures through MyLifetouch.com for their students with the codes (Portrait ID & Access Code) that are provided on the proof sheet. These proof sheets come with the bulk shipment of packages approximately 3-4 weeks after picture day. Every student that had their picture taken will receive a proof sheet.
If you have questions about their order, or are having troubles ordering, contact LIfetouch Customer Care at 1-800-736-4753. The hours are Monday - Friday. 8am-8pm, EST.
Required Back-to-School Forms
Option 1: ONLINE FORM COMPLETION
Print: Annual Health History (filled out for each student and signed by legal custodian) Sorry-this one is still a PAPER FORM ONLY.
The District mails a copy of the handbook to each household, make sure you read it and sign the online consent form.
Educational Benefits Form (We encourage ALL families to fill out this form, whether you may use the individual benefits or not, as it is a critical aspect of school funding.)
Option 2: PRINTABLE OPTION - request copies from the office at 218-336-8845 or stop in to the office or print from here:
- Annual Health History
- Handbook Consent Form, Includes all other East Policy and Procedure Agreements:
What about my schedule?
SCHEDULES ARE NOT FINAL UNTIL THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. As changes are made we often need to re-balance classes. The classes you have shouldn't change, but the hour and teacher might. You'll get a fresh copy of your final schedule when you report to your WIN teacher right away on the first day of school.
Prior to the end of last year, students made a commitment to their course requests that will be strictly adhered to. The schedule was built based on these requests allowing little room for movement. Every effort was made to honor those requests but there may be limited cases where this wasn’t possible or a change needs to be made. We mailed home a course verification sheet over the summer to inform you of courses that will not be offered. If a course you registered for isn't running, you should have emailed your counselor to request an appointment already to select a different course (and/or you'll be placed in an alternate selection you registered for.)
Schedule changes will ONLY be made if a form is completed and turned in (NO EMAIL OR PHONE CALLS ACCEPTED):
The student failed a class and needs to retake it.
The student didn’t register for a class required for graduation.
There was an error and a student was placed in a class they didn’t register for.
The student is scheduled for the same class twice.
There is a gap in your schedule and/or the student is registered for two classes in the same hour.
The student wishes to make a change into or out of a study hall.
We will NOT be considering schedule changes if:
The student is requesting a different teacher (unless the student failed a class with that teacher previously).
The student is requesting a different lunch.
The senior student is trying to re-arrange for an early release or late start.
The student changed their mind about what was requested at registration.
They are trying to re-arrange their schedule to be with friends.
SENIORS ONLY: Late Start/Early Release and Open Campus Lunch Forms
We are allowed to have open campus for lunch as long as the parent/guardian and student agree to the following conditions. Failure to meet these conditions may result in the privilege of open campus being revoked for the student and possibly for the entire senior class. Students MUST have this completed form submitted by the parent/guardian in order to be allowed to leave campus.
You MUST have your student ID on it's lanyard and in order to be allowed to leave at lunch. Those students with a completed form will receive a sticker for the back, making it easily identifiable by supervisory staff and principals at the door.
JUNIORS ONLY: Home Lunch Option 2022-2023
This one must be a printed paper form so we can truly verify the parent/guardian signature. Paper copies are available in the office or by printing here:
Juniors will not be allowed to leave for lunch until the paper form is turned in and they have their student ID badge with the approval sticker on it.
Parking Pass Applications
We do realize that parking near East is a huge inconvenience. Remember to be good neighbors and only park in legal areas on the streets if you're not in a lot.
*During the first week of school, parking in the main lot is first-come, first-served.
All rules and regulations still apply during this first week, violations will result in becoming ineligible for a parking permit this year!
Students are NOT allowed to park on Greyhound Drive, in the Stadium Lot, or in the Staff Lot across the street. You can expect a Duluth Police Department Parking Ticket should you violate our parking rules. Repeat offenses result in your car being removed (towed) at your expense.
*You will not have to submit a paper copy of your valid driver's license or proof of insurance. You WILL be asked to show them at the time of permit distribution.
Counseling Office Notes: Welcome New Counselors!
Duluth Public Schools is using some of its ESSER funding to maintain 5 School Counselors at East High School. We welcome two new counselors and appreciate the additional time we will now be able to devote to our students in these much smaller caseloads.
New Counselor Assignments are below. Counselors return to East August 17, 18, 23, 24, 25 and then are back full time the week of the 29th. They will be in meetings and trainings much of that week, however. Thank you for your patience as we work through all of our student needs in the very busy return to school!
SENIORS and FAMILIES OF SENIORS! Join us for College Application Day at East High School on Tuesday, August 23 from 1-3 in the Media Center. This event will include colleges and universities from Minnesota and Wisconsin. *You must have the Blended Learning Agreement done at least 48 hours prior!
Counseling Office Contacts:
Jen LaBelle, Registrar: ext 2143, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamie Savre, Counselor (A-E): ext 2154, email@example.com
Jessica Forsman, .8 Counselor (F-Ka): ext 2041, firstname.lastname@example.org
Alaina Abraham, Counselor (Ke-Q): ext 1121, email@example.com
Laura Horton, Counselor (R-Z): ext 2148, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dave Bergan, Counselor (9th Grade): ext 1345, email@example.com
Click for resources both at East and in our local community for supporting student and family mental health.
This is the summary document of all major events at EHS. For full details and team schedules, visit the link at the end of the newsletter. *ALL DATES AND EVENTS ARE TENTATIVE AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE due to COVID, weather, etc.
Clear your calendars to attend our Athlete/Parent Meeting on Wednesday, August 17. Start at 5:30 in the auditorium!
Activities Office News
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR PARTICIPATION
(No physical = No Play)
Each student will need a valid physical on file with the activities office prior to participation.
Physicals will be valid for three years after the physical date
Grades 7 – 9 must have a current physical on file in the East Activities Office! (No physical = No Play)
Students attending the following schools are not eligible. Edison, Lakeview Christian Academy, Holy Rosary (and other parochial schools), Stella Maris Academy, Harbor City Int, Online Charter Schools, and Montessori. Only ISD 709 Students can participate.
Exchange/transfer students must be cleared by the East Activities office prior to ANY participation!
Greyhound Nation - Athletes & Parents
Wednesday - August 17 - Duluth East HS
Staying Eligible: 5:30–6:30pm – Auditorium (all athletes)
- CROSS COUNTRY: 6:45 –7:45pm – Gym – North Side
- GIRLS TENNIS : 6:45 – 7:45pm – Media Center
- BOYS SOCCER: 6:45 – 7:45pm – Stadium (Mezz)
- GIRLS SWIM: 6:45 –7:45pm - Restaurant
- G SOCCER V/JV : 6:45–7:45pm – Baseball Stad.(Atrim)
- G B/C Soccer 5:00pm – Baseball Stadium
- VOLLEYBALL: 6:45 – 7:45pm – Choir Room 1086
- FOOTBALL: 6:45 – 7:45pm - Auditorium
- CHEERLEADING: 7:15 – 8:30pm – Cheer Room
Activities Office Contacts
Lynn Carlson, Clerical/Treasurer: ext 1321, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shawn Roed, Activities Director: ext 2151, email@example.com
This calendar has details about practices, games, rehearsals, and events in our facilities.
Tickets can be purchased online in advance and at the door/gate with cash, check, or card. Avoid the lines! Purchase online and have your e-ticket ready to scan as you enter.