Mike Bain per 7/8
Duties and Responsibilities
Computer programmers write code to create software programs. They turn designs for programs into instructions a computer can follow. Some programs are relatively simple and usually take a few days to write, such as mobile applications for cell phones. Other programs, like computer operating systems, are more complex and can take a year or more to complete.
- Write programs in many computer codes such as C++ or Java.
- Update and expand existing programs.
- Debug programs by testing and fixing problems
Work Schedule, Locations, and hours
Most computer programmers work in offices, most commonly in the computer systems design and related services industry and information service industry. Programmers normally work alone, but sometimes work with other computer specialists on large projects. These are usually full time jobs. A lot of jobs in programming are located in California, New York, and Texas.
Salary, Education Needed, and Required Skills
- Bachelor's Degree some with Associates
- Major in computer science or related degree offered at many colleges
- learn a few programming languages
- Most employers require experience which students can gain form internships.
- Analytic skills
- Troubleshooting Skill
- Median= 71,380
- Top 10%= 114,180
- Bottom 10%= 40,820
Job Outlook and Advancement Opportunities
- Increase by 12% form 2010 to 2020
- Companies hiring out of country employees for lower wages could effect growth
- Most jobs still in the U.S.
- Often move up towards software engineering