This Week in DHS Band and Guard
Week of January 30, 2023
This Week's Schedule
Friday, February 3rd
- Seniors/Junior Sign Up for Bus Seats for Disney Trip
- 4:45-5:10 Symphonic Band Trombones (Ben Desorbo, Rin Turley, Derrick Washington, Caden Hernandez)
- 4:45-5:10 Horn Quartet (Alexis Baber, Logan DeGolier, Jo Callenius, Sammy San Miguel)
- 5:10-6 Wind Ensemble Euphonium Trio (Kiami Sommers, Milton Amaya, Jazzlyn Vo)
- JV and Varsity Winter Guard 5-7:30 pm
- Parent Preview Performance 7:30 pm , DHS gyms, open to all!
Saturday, February 4th
- UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest, Davenport HS, schedule here
- TCGC Akins Winter Guard Contest, Akins HS (see below for specifics)
UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest
The UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest is on Saturday, February 4th at Davenport HS. Please check performance times carefully here. Dress is business casual. Students need to arrive 45 minutes before their performance time to find their room and warm up. A map of the campus is below. Results will be posted here.
Students that earn a 1st division rating on a solo or ensemble will earn a letter jacket if they have not already done so. Students that play a Class 1 solo (from memory) or and Class 1 ensemble and earn a 1st division rating will advance to the Texas State Solo and Ensemble Contest at the end of May in Austin, TX. Their picture will be added to our wall of fame in the band hall.
All ensembles will also be performing at the Casino Night on February 11th in the evening.
First Winter Guard Contest
Our JV and Varsity Winter Guards will be attending their first competition of the 2023 season this Saturday, February 4th at Akins HS.
A detailed itinerary is below. JV performs at 1:42pm and Varsity at 4:41pm. Eat breakfast before arriving and bring snacks and/or food for the bus along with money for fast food lunch and/or concessions. Students will eat dinner when they arrive back home.
Below is a link to the sign up genius for several things:
- Chaperones: will travel with us and stay with us all day, also serving as load crew helping load, unload, and move props on and off the floor for both teams, and attend to the needs of our students throughout the day
- Load Crew: Helps set up and tear down varsity props before and after varsity performance. Would be great if this crew could help load and unload the truck, but not required.
- Snacks: These are long days for our students and we like to provide them with water/gatorade and snacks after their performances and for the drive home. Please see sign up to donate if you can.
Here is a link to the Texas Color Guard Circuit website containing a lot of show information including how to purchase tickets for the event. Our JV team competes in SJVRA class and our Varisty team competes in SAA class.
Good luck DHS Winter Guards!
What is a Casino Night?
Normally in Vegas it’s you against the house. Well in our case, the casino is there for only one reason—to teach you the game so you can have as much fun as possible. Never gambled before? No problem. We will have professional dealers, equipment, and tables on hand to give you a full Casino experience!
$30 gets you in the door with $1000 worth of chips. Those chips are exchanged at the end of the night for raffle tickets for some spectacular items.
Also on hand—an incredible silent auction and raffles with merchandise such as:
- Custom-built Davenport Fire Pit
- One-of-a-kind Wolf Band Artwork
- Booze Barrel
- Custom Work by Max’d Alt
- Health and Beauty Packages
- JJ’a Grit and Grace Boutique
- Student Section Custom Baskets
- DHS Adirondack Chairs
- Handmade Woodwork Wall Flags
- Handmade Precious Metal Jewelry
- ….and more!
Items are being added every day and all profits go to YOUR Wolf Band. Spread the word, sign up (link below or QR code in flyer) and we’ll see you at the Casino!!
Sign up here!
2023 Summer Band Dates
Here are dates for next year's Summer Band Camps.
2023 DHS Marching Band Summer Dates (required)
- May 30-June 1, June Camp
- June 3, Band Registration
- July 15-16, Drum Major Camp
- July 17-19, Student Leadership Team Camp
- July 24-25, Drum Camp
- July 24-25, Color Guard Camp (tentative)
- July 27th, Summer Band begins for all (Winds, Percussion, and Guard)
Saxophone Lesson Information
Florida Trip Update
Here are the hotel room assignments. Students will be signing up for bus seats on the charter busses next week. Seniors/Juniors may sign up Wednesday. Sophomores on Thursday. Freshmen on Friday.
Here is an updated itinerary. We are now leaving at 3 pm on March 11th and will be returning on Friday, March 17th.
Fee payments (Use this link for everything except instrument usage fees.)
- February 11th, Casino Night, evening off campus
- February 21st, Mid-Winter UIL Preview Concert (Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band only), Davenport HS, 7 pm
- February 22nd, Band Booster Meeting, 6:30 pm
- February 28th, Percussion Solo Recital, Davenport HS, evening
- May 26th, Graduation, Wolf Stadium
Director of Bands
Associate Band Director
Color Guard Director
Color Guard Assistant Director
Director of Bands
Assistant Director of Bands