What's up in 2D!
Weekly happenings in the life of a second grader
Lunch Room Helpers!
October 14th is Columbus Day, a student holiday!
October 21st - October 25th is Red Ribbon Week! More information on this will be coming soon!
October 25th is the end of the 1st Nine Weeks!
2. We will not laugh at or make fun of a person's mistakes nor use sarcasm or put downs!
3. We will use good manners saying, "please," "thank you," and "excuse me," and allow others to go first.
4. We will cheer each other to SUCCESS!
5. We will help one another whenever possible!
6. We will recognize every effort and applaud it!
7. We will encourage each other to do our best!
8. We will practice virtuous living using the life principles!
The Life Principles
2. Effort -doing one's best in an endeavor. Ask your learner if they are giving their best effort at school!
3. Compassion: ability to share another's feelings or ideas.
You are a genius and the world needs your contribution!
Liberty & Benny!
Liberty was nominated to take Benny home by a classmate. She was nominated for following expectation number 5! Great work Liberty!
Two classmates worked together to create this dinosaur during E-Time last week. I love the spikes guys!
Here's what we need to KNOW!
Math: Were still rockin' and rollin' with place value. It's so important that our learners know it will as this is the basis of our math system! We will continue to study place value. This week will focus on comparing whole numbers using the appropriate symbols. In second grade we compare numbers all the way up to 999. We have been discussing the difference between the word "place" and the word "value" the last few weeks. Ask your learner... "what is the difference between place and value?"
Science: Exciting news! Our painted ladies have emerged and are now resting comfortably in our butterfly net. We will identify their basic needs, identify factors in their environment such as growth and migration. Stay tuned to our blog teachusmoore.blogspot.com it should be updated more regularly this week!
Language Arts: We continue the process of goal setting in language arts this week! We have discussed comprehension and accuracy as a reading goal. This week we will discuss fluency and expand vocabulary. Students should know their reading goals by the end of the week. In writing we are working on an insect expository writing. Students may choose an insect to research, they will write an expository writing on that insect.
Social Studies: This week we are discussing some famous past presidents. We will use google earth to locate Presidential Monuments on the map. Our focus will be on Mt. Rushmore- what did these presidents do that was so important and inspiring for them to be honored with their faces on a mountain!? Pretty impressive!
- colored copy paper
- 2 sets of ear buds for student use