Family Newsletter, October 2021
A Message From the Principal
It is hard to believe that we are already in the month of October! I love October for so many reasons, including pumpkin spice, beautiful weather, and play-off baseball (GO 'STROS)! But one of the things I love most about October is the excitement your students have for learning!
Teachers and students have built meaningful relationships, routines and procedures have been established, beginning of the year assessments have been completed and learning is in full swing! It is so exciting to walk into classrooms and see the joy of discovery and the pride of accomplishment on the faces of your children! So many great things are happening here at LPE - our children our thriving and growing despite difficult times.
Not only are we focused on academic growth, but we are focusing on social/emotional growth as well! Our students and staff have committed to working hard so that students achieve to their full potential academically AND to make our world a better place by treating everyone with kindness. We are still a work in progress, but we are getting better everyday!
Remember, we are #StrongerTogether!
It's a GREAT day to be a LEOPARD!
Fire Prevention Week, Monday, Oct. 4 - Friday, Oct. 8th
Book Fair, Monday, Oct. 18th - Friday, Oct. 22nd
Wellness Week, Oct. 25th - Oct. 29th
Tuesday, Oct. 5th
- Fire Prevention Presentations (PK-4th grade)
- LPISD Board Meeting, LPISD Board Room, 7:00
Thursday, Oct. 7th
- Prekindergarten Family Engagement Night, LPISD Administration Building, 5:00 - 6:30
- Fire Field Demo Field Trip (5th grade), 10:15
Monday, Oct. 11th
- Student Holiday & Parent/Teacher Conferences (Virtual), 8:00 - 4:00; See teacher communication for additional information
Tuesday, Oct. 12th
- UIL Afterschool Practice Begins
- Jimmy Changa's Spirit Day, 20% of all sales will be donated to LPE
Thursday, Oct. 14th
- District Safety and Security Committee Meeting, Instructional Technology Center, 4:00; If you are interested in serving on this committee, please let Mrs. Hyde know
Friday, Oct. 15th
- End of 1st 9 Weeks (1st - 5th)
- Fall Pictures
- La Porte Bulldog Homecoming Football Game, Bulldog Stadium, 7:00
Monday, Oct. 18th
- Beginning of 2nd 9 Weeks (1st - 5th)
Thursday, Oct. 21st
- Family Literacy Night, Fall In Love with a Good Book, 5:30 - 6:30; See flyer for details
Friday, Oct. 22nd
- Report Cards Go Home (1st - 5th), Wear a college shirt as we promote college readiness
Monday, Oct. 25th
- Papa John's Spirit Day, 20% of all sales will be donated to LPE
- Motivational Monday, wear bright colors and/or a motivational t-shirt
Tuesday, Oct. 26th
- Team Tuesday, wear your favorite team shirt
- CPOC Meeting, LPE Library, 3:30 - 4:30; If you are interested on this committee, please reach out to Mrs. Hyde
Wednesday, Oct. 27th
- Wellness Wednesday, wear your work out gear
Thursday, Oct. 28th
- Thankful Thursday, wear your favorite hat as we say "Hats Off" to our community
- Leopard of the Month (Virtual), LPE Library, 7:15
- Fun Fit Friday, wear your sunglasses as we enjoy some outdoor fun
- Just a reminder that the school day begins at 7:40. Although students are not considered tardy until after 7:50, our goal is to have all student in their rooms as close to 7:40 as possible. This allows our students to eat breakfast, catch up on make up work and participate in whole class circle discussions before beginning instruction immediately following morning announcements. Tardies have been down this year, but again, our goal is 0 tardies every day!
- Our school day ends at 3:15 so please plan accordingly! Our car riders lines are running smoothly with about a 15 minute window for dismissal. Don't forget to have your LPE car tag viewable when you pick up your student.
- I know our car rider lines can get long, but I appreciate everyone doing their best to adhere to our traffic patterns. As you wait, please make sure that you are not blocking any entrance/exit or intersection. This helps to ensure that everyone gets where they need to be safely and in a timely manner!
- Students may not be checked out through the front office after 3:00.
- Please make sure to inform the front office of ALL transportation changes by 2:30.
- To help your student succeed in school it is important to build the habit of good attendance EARLY! Research shows that students who miss 10% of school (that's only about 2 days each month over the course of a year) have greater difficulties learning to read. Students who miss just one or two days every few weeks tend to fall behind and have a difficult time catching up. We know that attending school regularly helps children feel better about school - and themselves.
- We know that consistent attendance can be difficult, due to our current COVID protocols and we appreciate you keeping your child at home when they are ill. However, when they are healthy, please make sure that are at school, on time, every day!
- Just a quick reminder that no outside food can be delivered to school, including fast food and birthday treats. In the event that your child has left his/her lunch at home, sack lunches/lunch kits may be dropped off in the front office BEFORE 9:00 am.
- Monday, October 11th is a student holiday, but it is also our parent/teacher conference day! Teachers will be reaching out to you to schedule a conference to discuss your child's academic progress and to address your questions/concerns.
- Our goal is to conference with 100% of our parents, so please work with your child's homeroom teacher to find a time that works for you! You are the most important person in your child's life, and we know, if they are to be successful in school, we must work together!
- I am so excited to be able to say that we have reinstated a PTO here at LPE! We have several parents who have stepped up and offered to take a leadership role on our PTO Board. They have met twice and have a great plan in place. We are definitely starting small, with a commitment to grow as we go!
- We will have our official PTO Membership Drive Kick Off at our Family Literacy Night on Thursday, October 21st! So be sure to stop by the PTO table, meet our Board and sign up to be a member of the 2021 - 2022 LPE PTO! Hopefully we will have spirit shirts on sale as well!
- If you are interested in joining our PTO board, we still have a few spots left, so consider the possibility, talk with our board, and let them know you are interested!
- If you have additional questions or concerns about our routines, procedures and expectations, feel free to contact myself or your child's classroom teacher via phone or email OR click on the link below to view the LPE Student Handbook!
My name is Diana Horelka and this is my 3rd year as the counselor at LPE, and I am so happy to be here. I thoroughly enjoy working with all our amazing students. My own children are grown now so I love being able to interact daily with “our” children. I truly believe in the power of positive, trusting relationships and creating an environment where students feel safe and connected. I really do want you to reach out to me if you need assistance at all. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org and my phone number is (281) 604-4764. Additionally, I am attaching a form that can be completed to let me know if you would like your child in a group to discuss and get assistance with specific topics. Please use the following link: https://forms.office.com/r/MNjDwWsA9r
Our character trait for September is Responsibility. We will be focusing on students making the right choices and realizing how their actions not only affect themselves but others and the world. Each month I am incredibly delighted to see and hear how our leopards are displaying each character trait and responding to our “character trait challenges”.
Additionally, we are very fortunate to be partnered with the Houston Food Bank for a Backpack Buddy Program. They will provide a bag of food every Friday to students in need. Please reach out by phone or email and I can send you the paperwork to get started.
I look forward to a fantastic year!
Hello Leopard Family!
My name is Kristy Hanks, and I am the new school nurse. I cannot tell you how excited and blessed I feel to be a part of your child’s life. My absolute favorite thing in the world is seeing your children smile.
I am originally from Beaumont and attended Stephen F. Austin State University and Houston Baptist University where I obtained my Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. Nursing has been my profession for almost 18 years, mostly serving in the Emergency/Level One Trauma capacity. I am married to my college sweetheart of almost 18 years (Michael) and have a Bullpup (Caleb) and a Baker Bear (Macy). My time away from school is spent with family on some type of ball field. We absolutely love sports and cheering on our kids, as well as the youth that I love as my own, in all their activities. My husband and his 5 siblings are LP graduates. Currently I have 7 nieces and nephews, aside from my children, in LPISD ranging from a Kindergarten to a Senior.
As you can see, I have no choice but to bleed orange! It took me a while to get to LPE, but I truly feel I am right where I was meant to be.