Join our beginner's mind class starting January 4th, 2016
The power of thinking differently
In this 8 week program the child will learn how to grow and use his/her inherent creativity to generate ideas, and make creative leaps and changes in his/her life. There is a concept known as 'beginner’s mind' which is said to be an attitude of openness, eagerness and lack of preconceptions, which is present in every child.
Here we will explore the 'beginner's mind' creative abilities of children at play and the connection to design thinkers and innovators. Children are open to exploration, discovery and experimentation. They learn about their world around them by pushing the limits, discovering what’s possible and what’s not.
Why / How and Why Not!!
While solving problems the child will be encouraged to think aloud to say whatever’s is on his/her mind. The will be encouraged to not hold back hunches, guesses, wild ideas, images, plans or goals and to speak as continuously as possible. The workshop will train them in:
· Trying to say something at least once every five seconds.
· Speak audibly, watch for the voice dropping as they become involved.
· Get into the pattern of saying what you’re thinking about now, not of thinking for a while and then describing your thoughts.
· Though the experiments the child will not be talking to the experimenter. Instead, they are to perform the task as if they are talking aloud to themselves.
· How to think divergently by providing open-ended problems that appeal to a wide range of interests.
· Learn how to identify challenges and to think creatively to solve those problems.
· They are free to express their ideas and suggestions without fear of criticism.
A typical 1 hour would be ( every class there will be a mix of things)
· 10 minutes – Breathing / Meditation – Clearing their mind / hearing to their heartbeat ( teaching them why that is so imp)
· 30 minutes - Either a project or work on expression of thought - will focus each week on a different topic ( if we take science - we could talk about neurons and how they interconnect - and how your mind governs your body. If we take inventions we will talk about how concepts came about. focused on nature - how evolution happened - we will germinate plants that they will take back home).
· We will be constantly talking about Why / What and How, creatively solving problems.
· 20 minutes - work on a vision board. End of 8 weeks they have a goal they can work toward on what they want to become / where they see themselves going. These are very interesting as ever month it can change with kids - it can guide / define them.
They will be given assignments to work over the week and bring back to the next class. These are just some of the things that they will work during the workshop - the main concept is the WHY /When / How - to ponder and question and push behind the boundaries. I am looking forward to working with your children and making them grow their potential and how great their minds work!.