Ferndale Middle Parent Update
May 31 - June 3
From the Desk of Our Proud Principal
Greetings Trojan Family,
This is a message from your Proud Principal, Leslie Kinard.
This Monday, May 30th there will be no school in observance of Memorial Day. Students will return on Tuesday and begin their EOG assessments. In order for testing to run smoothly students will need to arrive before 9:30. Our building opens at 9:00 am for students. Please make sure your student is on time for testing. Students arriving after testing has begun will not be allowed to test.
- Tuesday, 8th grade students will take their Science End of Grade Test.
- Wednesday, 6th and 8th grade students will take their Reading test and 7th grade will take Math.
- Thursday, 6th and 8th grade students will take their Math test and 7th grade students will take their Reading test.
- Friday, Math I students will take their End of Course Test.
Students still have time to sign-up for summer learning 2022. If you would like your student to participate, please call the school to register. Summer Learning for FMS students will be hosted at Welborn Middle this year. The deadline for transportation has passed but students who have transportation to and from Welborn are welcomed to register.
We will began collecting devices, Chromebooks and ThinkPads, during homeroom on Monday, May 16, 2022. All devices must be returned to homeroom teachers as soon as possible. They will be required for End of Grade testing this year. Please have your student bring all GCS issued devices and chargers.
As a district and school, we are taking every precaution to ensure the continued safety of our students. Here's how you can help:
- If your student is sick, please keep them at home. Our teachers will be updating assignments on Canvas. Students experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should stay home and get a test for COVID-19 on day five.
- If you suspect or confirm that your student has COVID-19, please report it immediately by contacting the school at 336-819-2855 or emailing our data manager Ms. Pierce.
State Mandated Security Checks
The North Carolina Department of Public Safety has ordered state law enforcement agencies to conduct regular security checks at schools statewide through the end of the school year. This order is in response to the tragic school shooting in Uvalde, Texas earlier this week. I want you to be aware that we may see armed plain clothes or uniformed officers from various law enforcement agencies in our school building or on our campus as part of this state effort to provide a visible law enforcement presence. We continue to make safety a priority in Guilford County Schools. Thank you and have a great weekend.
Summer Math Opportunities
Self-Paced Canvas Courses
- Virtual Ready Courses (Ready for Math 6 - Ready for NC Math 4) are for students who need additional support to be ready for the next grade level/course. These courses are offered in hopes of mitigating learning loss due to school closures. There is no final exam for these courses. GCS teachers will provide instruction on major concepts from each course.
- Virtual Bridge to NC Math 1 is for students currently enrolled in AIMM or Accelerate 6 who will be skipping Math 7 and Math 8 to enroll in NC Math 1. A final exam will be administered at the end of the course.
- Virtual Bridge to Accelerated 7 is for students currently enrolled in Math 6 who have the opportunity to take Accelerated 7 based on the GCS math placement guidelines.
In Person Bridge to NC Math 1 is available for students currently enrolled in AIMM or Accelerate 6 who will be skipping Math 7 and Math 8 to enroll in NC Math 1. A final exam will be administered at the end of the course.
8th Grade Promotion Ceremony
Celebrations are in order! We can't wait to recognize our 8th graders and their promotion to high school. Monday, June 6th we will have our promotion ceremonies in-person in the FMS Gymnasium. Due to restrictions and to accommodate families, their will be a ceremony for each team. Your students received information regarding the day and dress code for the ceremony this week and it is also provided below.