Eaton Parent Newsletter
July 29th, 2022
Dear Eaton Families,
It was a great week for our Eaton Olympians!
A few reminders for our families:
- Our water fountains are open this year. Please send in a reusable water bottle with your student to use throughout the day.
- PowerSchool Parent Portal access is open. Please contact our data manager, Mrs. Hutson firstname.lastname@example.org if you have difficulty accessing your student's account.
- We encourage all families to complete a Free and Reduced meal application for the school year 2022/2023. Even if you think you will not qualify, please complete an application. A student's free and reduced lunch status is completely confidential to staff members. If you qualify for reduced lunch, it will be free. Click on these links to access the application: English F/R Application or Spanish F/R Application
- At the end of August Coach Tew will begin his fishing unit with his students in PE. He will need lots of volunteers to assist with this unit. All volunteers must meet Level 1 volunteer requirements, and will be asked to sign in at the front desk before meeting Coach Tew and his classes at the pond in the front of school. Volunteers will be asked to wear the yellow visitor sticker to ensure that only safe adults are working with our students.
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Please review our procedures to avoid any confusion. Procedures are in place to ensure safety of students.
Morning drop-off and afternoon pick up is located in the front of the school at the Gordon Road light. Please follow the flow of traffic, which lines up in front of the school and circles through the gravel lot.
If your child needs assistance with their seatbelt, please pull over into the parking spots to the left and assist your child so that traffic can continue to flow.
Please make sure that children enter and exit from the passenger side of the vehicle.
The bell will ring at 7:20am. Once staff members are in place to safely monitor students, students will be invited to begin exiting cars. Please be sure that your child is ready with their backpack when they reach the sidewalk drop-off area.
The tardy bell rings at 7:45am. Students must be in their classrooms by this time to be considered on time. If students are not in their classroom when the tardy bell rings, they will need a tardy slip from the front office to enter their classroom.
Please be mindful of the time you arrive, especially if your child is eating breakfast in the cafeteria.
If you arrive after the tardy bell there will not be staff members outside. You must park and walk your child into the building to sign them in at the front desk.
We encourage our families to use the parent drop off line in front of the school. Please do not walk up to the front door.
MORNING WALK-UP DROP OFF:
If you walk your child to the side door, located off Ogden Park Road, please ensure the following:
- Park on the grass behind the school parking lot on Ogden Park Road. Cars are not permitted to park across the street, as this is a major safety concern.
- Parents/Guardians must walk their child through the grass (NOT through the parking lot) to the covered area leading into the school. Children must always walk with an adult.
All families are given two signs with their last name and assigned number. Please have your sign displayed on the right side of your front window/dashboard. Leave the sign visible until after your children have entered the car.
Only vehicles that have your sign will be allowed to pick up your child or children without going to the office to show identification. Please be mindful that if you give someone your sign, you are giving them permission to pick up your child.
If you need sign replacements please contact Ms. Harrison at the front desk.
Please remember to remain in your car when you are picking up your student in the afternoon. If your student needs support opening the door we are happy to help.
We encourage parents to teach students to learn to buckle their safety belts. However, if your child is not yet able to do this, please pull up past the mailbox and/or park in a spot to assist your child. This helps to keep our carpool line moving smoothly.
We do not allow parents to park at the side of the building and walk up with a sign to pick up children. You must use the pick up line. The only exception will be for families who walk from their home to pick up children and/or circumstances approved by administration.
Thank you for your help to ensure safety during our arrival and dismissal times.
All transportation changes (different than how your child normally goes home) must be submitted in writing. Emails with transportation changes are not permitted. Our teachers are busy working with students and may or may not have a chance to check emails prior to dismissal. Please send a note with your child, or come by the front desk with your transportation change.
If you need to pick up your child early from school, you must do so by 1:45pm. Please know that you will need your drivers license to sign your child out of school. We only allow individuals listed as emergency contacts in PowerSchool to check out students.
Volunteer Opportunities at Eaton
Parents, family, or community members volunteering to assist students in a supervised setting are not required to undergo a background check if they are continually supervised by school personnel during the school day.
Parents, family, or community members volunteering to assist students in an unsupervised setting away from school personnel are deemed Level II Volunteers. We also ask that all chaperones become Level II volunteers, as well as those interested in assisting in our media center and cafeteria at Eaton Elementary. An applicant designated a Level II Volunteer must complete the online application and the criminal background check. Applications must be completed at least two weeks prior to the time you wish to begin volunteering. The cost of background checks are $20.
All volunteers must complete the training orientation each school year, as well as complete and turn in a volunteer application form each school year. Volunteer application forms were sent home with students. They are also linked below. Level II volunteer background checks are good for three years. You can log into your account to check your expiration date, or contact Mrs. Allen. If you attended training last year with Mrs. Allen, there is an option to attend a self-paced training online and submit a quiz. Please contact Mrs. Allen for more information.
Please see the dates for Eaton Volunteer Orientation Training:
- August 2nd, 3:30-4:00, in the media center @ Eaton
- August 9th, 8:30-9:00, in cafeteria (Prior to PTA meeting)
- August 25th, 8:00-8:30, Zoom https://nhcs.zoom.us/j/83275282719
Community Partnerships & Engagement: All Hands On Deck Portal
NHCS Volunteer Handbook:
Volunteer Application Form:
https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1633532320/nhcsk12ncus/s5yvc0l2bes6nrqwpltg/VolunteerApplicationForm.pdf (You may complete the form online, save it, and email it to Mrs. Allen, or you may print it, complete it, and turn it into the front office)
Level II Volunteer Background Check: https://bib.com/secure-volunteer/NHC/home
Eaton Volunteer Coordinator: Mrs. Allen, Assistant Principal
Media Center Volunteer
The Eaton Media Center runs on an open checkout system so that students are able to come check out books from the library any time they need to. We are able to do this through the help of our wonderful volunteers. If you are interested in helping students in the library, we would love to have you! All library volunteers must be Level 2. Please complete the Google Form with your availability. Also, please plan to attend one of the library volunteer training sessions listed below. You may contact the Media Specialist Ms. Mitchell at email@example.com if you have any questions. Thank you!
Library Volunteer Training options
Tuesday, August 2nd at 2:45 PM
Thursday, August 4th at 7:50 AM
Ways to Unplug (and still have fun!)
- Schedule Family Game Time: Hold a family game night that includes board, card, dice or any other kind of games.
- Take a Reading Challenge: Working as a family to complete a challenge develops teamwork, determination, and goal setting. When you make it a reading challenge, you have the added benefit of encouraging your kids to become stronger readers. Commit to a reading goal and set a deadline. Track your progress and celebrate your success.
Bring a Book to Life: Bringing books to life is a neat way to connect with stories. Let a book inspire your family to create a piece of art, perform an act of kindness, make a recipe, or try a new activity.
Tuesday, August 2nd: Corndog Nuggets & Chicken Roll-Up Bento Box
Wednesday, August 3rd: Cheesy Breadsticks & Turkey & Cheese Bento Box
Thursday, August 4th: Beef-A-Roni & Buffalo Chicken Bento Box
Friday, August 5th: Cheeseburger & Yogurt & Cheese Bento Box
Important Upcoming Dates
August 2nd Library Volunteer Training, 2:45-3:30, in media center @ Eaton
August 2nd Volunteer Training Orientation, 3:30-4:00, in media center @ Eaton
August 4th Library Volunteer Training, 7:50-8:35, in media center @ Eaton
August 9th Volunteer Training Orientation, 8:30-9:00, in cafeteria @ Eaton
August 9th PTA Meeting, 9:00, in cafeteria and 6:30 @ PN Slice of Life
August 19th Teacher Workday
August 25th Volunteer Training Orientation, 8:00-8:30, Zoom
Our School's Why:
To promote academic excellence through inclusion, modeling, collaboration and challenging students to think in innovative ways.
We are creating a nurturing school community that prepares the whole child to be a problem solver, critical thinker, and empathetic global citizen.
Empowerment, Perseverance, Respect, Integrity, Academic Excellence