A Message from the Principal
This first month of school has quickly passed and as we look forward to a new month, we are also looking forward to welcoming some of our students back into the building. On October 8th, we will transition our 9th grade face -to-face students into the building. This will be the first time many of our 9th graders will enter the doors of Princess Anne High School so we are planning to make this “first day of school” special for our new Cavaliers! Our student leaders have been hard at work planning for this special day to occur so that our new Cavaliers don’t miss out on anything that our school has to offer. As with any first day of school, students will experience a Cavalier welcome, receive a tour of the building, and be orientated on our breakfast and lunch schedule, as well as arrival and dismissal procedures.
Here are a few changes that parents should be aware of as we welcome our students back into the building:
- Self-screening should be part of each student’s regular morning routine. Please follow the guidelines listed below or download it for future use (self screening poster.jpg).
- Information about Health Metrics can be found here.
- Arrival – Students will not be allowed into the building until 7:05am each morning. Please follow the directions of the security team when dropping off and picking up your student. Dropping off in designated areas will avoid a traffic citation.
- Breakfast and Lunches – all students will continue to receive a free breakfast and lunch. Visitors are not allowed to drop off lunches for students during lunch times. All drop-offs should occur prior to 10:30am.
- Meetings – Please contact the school in advance to schedule a meeting. Appointments can be main via email or by contacting the main office at 648-5600.
- Technology will continue to play a major role in our daily operations. Please ensure your students brings their fully charged Chromebook to school every day.
We are working hard to ensure all of our students and parents are connected and engaged in our school community. If you missed our virtual Open House on September 30th, you can still access the presentations and resources shared by our staff on our school webpage; https://princessannehs.vbschools.com/. We are excited to finally meet our new Cavaliers face-to-face and look forward to developing strong relationships with you, as well.
It is a Great year to be a Cavalier!
While students are in the virtual learning setting, they are expected to follow Virginia Beach City Public Schools Code of Student Conduct. The Code of Student Conduct is provided to outline major categories of behavior and state disciplinary actions that may occur as a result of student misconduct. Parents are asked to review the Code of Student Conduct carefully with their child(ren).
Teachers will refer a student for misconduct when the situation warrants, and the students' administrator will address the behavior.
Some reminders for virtual learning:
1) Students who do not attend class or interact with the material during the day of the class will be marked absent. Parents must provide a note within 3 days for all absences.
2) Students who disrupt the virtual learning environment will receive a tiered level of intervention i.e., verbal warning, phone call to parent, and or suspension from class.
3) Students who consistently do not attend class will be referred to the school counselor to schedule a parent conference.
4) Students are not allowed to take pictures of other students or the teacher during class without their permission.
5) Students are expected to abide by the Princess Anne HS Honor Code.
We are so excited to have some of our students back in the building! To ensure everyone's safety, it is imperative for all students to abide by these expectations:
1) Students are required to wear a mask while in the building, except for when eating lunch. Disciplinary action will result in a student's refusal to abide by this expectation.
2) Students should not report to school if they exhibit any of signs/symptoms of illness. Each student must answer NO to the three COVID-19 Self-Screening questions daily before arriving at school.
3) Students are encouraged to bring the following items for a successful learning experience:
- personal water bottles (water fountains will be accessible but not encouraged)
- face masks
- hand sanitizer
- personal headphones that work with Chromebook
Thank you for helping us ensure a safe and productive learning environment by reviewing The Cavalier Code--the values and expectations of PAHS.
Student Safety Protocols
- Use the COVID-19 Self-Screening Questionnaire prior to coming to school and stay home if you can answer yes to any of the questions.
- Masks or cloth face coverings are required to be worn over the mouth and nose except when eating or drinking.
- When eating or drinking, maintain at least six feet of distance from others.
- Not wearing a mask may result in being sent home and disciplinary consequences.
- Maintain at least three feet of social distance from others while wearing a mask.
- Wash hands regularly with soap and warm water.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer (provided in each classroom and throughout the school) when hand washing is not possible.
- Follow one-way directional signs when traveling through hallways.
Virginia Beach City Public Schools' mobile app for bus stop notifications has changed. The new app is called Edulog Parent Portal Lite and can be downloaded for free via the via the App Store or Google Play.
We have a new ACCESS Advisor at PA! His name is Dylan Altman. He is excited to assist our seniors, juniors and their parents during their college journey. He is available to assist you with your FAFSA starting October 5th, 2020. You can find his appointment page and contact info on the Guidance page of the Princess Anne website."
Parents of seniors (and students too!), ACCESS College Foundation invites you to join them for their Financial Aid/FAFSA presentation on October 6th, 2020 at 11:30am or 5:30pm or 6:30pm. Mr. Altman and his colleagues will explain the process of FAFSA and how they can assist you and your student to ensure successful submission! You can find the presentation Zoom link at www.accesscollege.org.
Face to Face Schedule (starting 9/22/20)
VBCPS Pathways Series
Click on the button above to sign up to attend a virtual college visit. See Ms. Gorham if you have any questions!
- Each classroom will be supplied with TB-Cide disinfectant, gloves, paper towels, hand sanitizer, and tissues.
- Frequently touched surfaces and door handles will be cleaned using TB-Cide disinfectant between classes.
- Water fountains will be cleaned using LOD disinfectant every two hours.
- Restrooms will be disinfected every three hours during the school day.
- Flat surfaces in classrooms will be cleaned with LOD disinfectant each evening.
- Door mats and other carpeted surfaces will be vacuumed daily.
Class Rings Information
Attention Princess Anne Juniors, the following is an important announcement. The class of 2022 will be ordering their class rings starting today the 24th of September through Oct 5th . You can order at Jostens.com or by stopping by their local office in Virginia Beach. You will be receiving an email from Princess HS and Jostens over the next few days that will give you additional information on the step by step process of how to order and receive your class ring by the ring ceremony. You may also view these documents linked below and on your child’s Schoology page titled "How to order my class ring and Class ring Sizing."
If you have any questions, please email eric.harvell@Jostens.com or call 1800 Jostens.
Senior Cap and Gown Information
The following is an important announcement. Senior cap and gown ordering week is coming up! A how to order my cap and gown information sheet is linked below and will be posted to your child’s Schoology account. This will take you step by step on how to order, give you important deadline dates, and answer many of the questions you may have. Due to Covid 19 ordering on time has never been more important. You will receive additional information on how to order via email from the school and Jostens over the next few days. Ordering can be done at www.jostens.com or in person. Please refer to the information sheet below or on Schoology to answer many of your questions.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com or call 1800 Jostens.
Fall SOL Testing
Students enrolled in fall courses with an associated SOL test will be expected participate in SOL testing as follows:
- Fall Writing SOL- for students enrolled in English 11 and IBMYP English 10 (test window begins November 17- specific dates will be forthcoming)
- Fall Non-writing SOL Tests:
- January 6- VA/US History and World History I
- January 7- Algebra I and Algebra II
- January 8- World History II and World Geography
- January 11- Chemistry and Geometry
- January 12- Biology
- January 13- Reading (for students enrolled in English 11 and IBMYP English 10)
- January 14- Earth Science
If you have questions, please contact Sherry Caruana, School Improvement Specialist, 757-648-5623, or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need to talk to someone? 7cups has trained volunteer listeners, specifically for teens, available 24/7 to give emotional support over the phone. When you need someone to talk to, they are available to listen and help you feel better. It's anonymous and completely free, so you can chat confidentially whenever you need to! You can also join their lively teen community forums and chat rooms to share with peers who understand what you're going through. Get support and make new friends along the way.
The 7 Cups app is available on iOS and Android
Please click on the button to see who your child's administrator and counselor are.