May 16th, 2022
DON'T LOSE YOUR STUFF!
😳 TRANSFER YOUR GOOGLE! 😳
It's that time of year when change is in the air- for some, it's retiring from an amazing career in education. For others, it may simply be moving into the next chapter- we can help with some of the stressful transfer and/or backup of your Google 'stuff'!
Whether you’re graduating or moving to a new school if you’re a G Suite for Education user, odds are at some point in time you’ll want to save a copy of your schoolwork for use outside those four walls. Thankfully, Google has recently made the process of copying the contents of your Google Drive from your school account over to your personal account much more straightforward. To get started, head over to https://takeout.google.com/transfer.
STEP 1: GO TO 'GOOGLE TAKEOUT'
Don't worry, you've got this!
Assuming you’re logged in to Google with your school account, visiting https://takeout.google.com/transfer will yield a Transfer your content page like the one pictured below.
If you’ve also got a personal Google account, simply follow the steps below. If you are in need of a personal Google account, click HERE to take care of business then return to this post.
Once you’ve got a personal Google account:
- Enter the email address associated with your personal Google account. This is the account that will receive your transferred content. Click SEND CODE.
Step 2: Go to your Personal Gmail Inbox & Copy Code
- Check your personal Gmail inbox. The account you specified in step one will receive an email from Google that looks like the one below.
- Inside that email, click Get confirmation code.
- You’ll be taken to a page that has a unique code. Copy this code (not the one in the picture) or write it down so you’re ready for the next step.
Step 3: 'Verify' Your Account with Code
- Return to the Transfer your content tab and paste your code (not mine) into the box. Click VERIFY.
- Select whether you want to transfer just your Google Drive, just your emails, or both. Click START TRANSFER.
Step 4: Confirm your Transfer
The transfer is underway. Google, on their helpful support page, claims that:
- The copy process usually happens within a few hours, but it can take up to a week.
- Copied files might appear in batches on your Google Account during the copy process.
- When your files are finished copying, you’ll get an email at your Gmail address.
- If you hit any snags along the way, be sure to check out Google’s helpful support page (linked above) or leave a comment below.