Content Area Research Project
Expert: Margaret Kilgo
- Conducts education research on national and state curriculum core standards for grades K-12
- Kilgo's research focuses on teaching and assessing higher-level thinking and logical reasoning
- Awarded over 70 Federal ID copyrights for innovative instructional models and strategies that have been embedded in national and state curriculum standards and assessed on both national and state standardized tests.
- Consulting author for McGraw-Hill Companies
- Author of Data-Driven Decisions: Achieving Exemplary Performance and Equity for All Students in Mathematics
(Information found on www.kilgoconsulting.com)
Interview: Tim~7/8 Math~New Summerfield ISD
1. How do you incorporate technology in your class?
"I use my smart board on a daily basis along with the online textbook. My students use their laptops every day in STAAR math and at least once a week in all other classes."
2. Do you use collaborative groups? If so, how do you use them?
"Because of our 45 minute classes, I generally do not use collaborative groups."
3. What other subjects do you integrate in your class and how?
"I try to incorporate science, and social studies by talking about current events in those fields as it relates to math. I also incorporate reading through our word problems and writing by making students justify their answers in writing."
4. What is a challenge that English language learners face in your class and what do you do to scaffold their learning?
"The biggest challenge English-language learners face is with new English words in word problems. I try to use words they are familiar with, or will have a bilingual student help me explain it."
5. How do you help struggling readers in your class?
"Since most of our reading is word problems, I help struggling readers look for context clues that will help them identify what the question is asking for."
This video clearly showed the uncertainess that the students felt building up to confidence in their learning.
This middle school math coach has posted lessons that integrate iPads in the classroom as well as lessons that can be used with nearpod which happens to be the latest technology craze in education!