2014 Back to School Night
Thanks to all the parents that made it out to this year's BTSN. It was so wonderful to catch up with everyone and meet new faces! I am excited about the school year and can't wait to watch the children learn and grow.
Our BTSN PowerPoint slide show can be found on my eBoard. You can click HERE if you want to view or print it. Should you have any additional questions or concerns my door is always open!
The students are working hard during reading workshop to practice their reading skills and strategies. We kicked off our first Journeys lesson by reading Henry and Mudge by Cynthia Rylant. The students are focusing on learning how to:
- sequence the main events in a story.
- grammer skills - subjects and predicates
- short a and short I
Mrs. Johnston and I began reading groups this week as well. It was fun working closely with each student focusing on new reading goals. Students can log on to www.thinkcentral.com weekly to access our main selection story. I encourage them to do so on DAY 5 to prepare for our lesson test on DAY 6. Each student has his/her think central password affixed to the inside of their homework agenda. Happy Reading!!!
We jumped in head first this month with Unit 1. Unit 1 serves as a review covering many first grade skills. Mrs. Johnston and I were able to perform many informal and formal assessments, helping us discover how our mathematical thinkers problem solve. We practiced:
- number grid patterns
- counting coin combinations
- telling time
- Math Workshop routines
We also practiced many of these skills using Everyday Math Online. The children have their log in usernames and passwords affixed to the inside of their agendas. Click Here to log in to Everday Math Online.
The art of learning the keyboard can be a tricky thing for a 2nd grader!! It is a skill that every kiddo needs. This month we began sharpening our keyboarding skills by using the a web based keyboarding program called Typing Agent.It mixes games and practice missions to help the children improve their typing skills while having fun. The students were excited to start and have been working hard to improve their WPM and typing accuracy. Each student can access typing agent at home and at school with their HSD user number. Click Here to log in! Our Typing Agent password is : password.
Superhero Guest Reader
Save the Date
- 9/29-1st Spelling Test and Spelling Menu due
- 9/30-History Alive Assembly-provided by Tatem PTA
- 10/3-Tiger's Pride Spirit Wear Sale & Bake Sale
- 10/3-Innibrook Orders Due
- 10/6-Fall Enrichment begins
- 10/7-Fall Parent Social at Irish Mile
- 10/13-Early Dismissal - Teacher Professional Development In Service
- 10/18-Tatem Trailblazer 5K
You Must have done something at school today???
- Questions to pick your child's brain...
- How did you fill your Marble Jar?
- Did you have fun creating your word cloud poem in computers?
- Which game do you like better Ghost or Zoom?