Facts on Mercury
- Mercury is 58 million kilometers away from the sun.
- Believe it or not the planet Mercury which is closest to the sun has water ice. Where there is ice there is possible life.
- Mercury is a relatively small planet.
- Many astronomers think Mercury is a boring planet because it does not have huge canyons or volcanoes like Mars.
- It does not have any magnificent rings like Jupiter, and you cannot see half of the planet because it is opposite of the sun.
- The planet's atmosphere is made up of 99% hydrogen and only 1% helium, oxygen, sodium, calcium, potassium, and water vapor.
- Mercury's axis tilt is 0.5 degrees.The planet Mercury is heavily crated, and has many narrow ridges.
- Mercury has an unusual crater with radiating troughs that is called The Spider.
- The gravity on Mercury is 0.38g.The planet Mercury has no moons.
- Mercury's surface temperature is 755 degrees fahrenheit on the toasty side.Now when you go to Mercury you better pack for a hot vacation.
- Mercury has an unusual case that at all times the same half of the planet is a shadow that is very cold.
- Mercury's toasty side at night gets to as low as -280 degrees fahrenheit. Bring some sleeping bags and covers.
- Mercury's name is the roman version of the greek god of merchandise and trickery named Hermes.
- Mercury's rotational period is 58.646 Earth days, and an orbital period of 0.241 earth years.