Independent Study Updates
End of Year Reminders
This is the final newsletter of the 2017-2018 school year. Please read through the information and save it for your reference.
It has been an absolute joy to work with all of you this year! I am so impressed and proud of the supportive, caring community you created together as Independent Study students. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching all of you challenge yourselves, step outside of your comfort zone and work hard to succeed academically.
- All Independent Study, Home School and Community College grades for the Spring 2018 semester should post to your transcript by June 15th. You can log into your Infinite Campus portal to print your transcript. (Login to your home school and select Reports, then choose transcript.)
- Please return all of your Independent Study textbooks to our classroom as soon as possible. Return all home school textbooks to the library or textbook room before June 8th.
- Don't forget to return any rented college textbooks. This must be done during finals week in order to avoid being charged for the cost of the book.
- This is finals week for Cañada College!
- Monday, May 28th Memorial Day- Classroom Closed
- Thursday, May 31st LAST DAY for graduating seniors to turn in ISP assignments
- Friday, June 1st ISP Graduation (1:00 PM) Graduates must arrive by 12:15 PM
- Wednesday, June 6th LAST DAY for students in grades 9-11 to turn in ISP Assignments
- Thursday, June 7th LAST DAY to return ISP textbooks
- Wednesday, August 15th, First Day of Classes for SUHSD and Community College
All Returning ISP Students
Parents, please complete the SUHSD online registration process. This must be done each year. The link is not yet available, but, should be some time over the summer.
1. Log in to your Infinite Campus Parent Portal at www.portal.seq.org
2. Click on “Inbox” to access the Online Registration message
3. Click on the message link called “SUHSD Online Registration”
4. Follow the directions on each screen and be sure to click “save” so you can move on.
If you have any problems, please call SUHSD IC Support at 650-369-1411 Ext 22364 or email email@example.com They are available M-F from 7:30-4:00.
I will contact you the week before school begins to schedule our initial ISP meeting.
If you are planning to take a class at your home school in the fall, please make sure you contact your guidance counselor the first week of August to verify that the course is on your schedule. I have already informed individual home school counselors regarding the classes, and will follow up in August as well.
Returning ISP Students Enrolled in Fall Community College Courses
Students who have submitted a Concurrent Enrollment form have been scheduled in their fall college classes. All registered students have a printed copy of their schedule.
Familiarize yourself with your WebSmart account. It is very important that students DO NOTchange their username and password for their WebSmart account; username must remain your G-number, and password must remain your birthday (two digits for month-day-year, e.g. 061600). If you have already changed it, please change it back.
WebSmart is where you can check your schedule, buy a parking pass, or check college grades once they post. I will access your account to add and drop classes, and check your grades at the end of the semester.
You may change your password for your my.smccd email and link it to another email account, if you like. This is the email address that college professors will use to send out class information, so it is important that you actually check it regularly. You can find your my.smccd email information by logging into WebSmart and scrolling down to the bottom of the page – then click on the my.smccd email link. We will not access your email account - that is yours alone to manage and check.
College professors had been using WebAccess, but now most have transitioned to Canvas. You can access both via http://my.smccd.edu/. For WebAccess, you will log in with your G# and pin (mmddyy). For Canvas, you will log in with your my.smccd username and then click Forgot My Password. Then check your my.smccd email and log in to Canvas with your my.smccd User Name and the password that was sent to your my.smccd email. If you already have a Canvas account it will not change for next semester.
Professors may post their syllabus on this site, as well as upload assignments, hold online discussions, post grades, etc. Please regularly check your Canvas account over summer as some professors post important information prior to the start of the semester.
Students enrolling in online classes should check their my.smccd email account and Canvas for the syllabus, course information and materials. Again, please do not change the login for this, as it is tied to your WebSmart account.
It is your responsibility to purchase or rent needed textbooks for your college classes. You can view the required textbooks by logging in to webschedule and searching for the CRN or Course Name. Click on View Textbooks. My recommendation is that you go to the bookstore a week before classes begin, get the ISBN for the required books and either rent them from the bookstore or through another online source, such as Amazon Prime.
Community College Classes for Students with IEP's or 504 Plans
Accommodations work a little differently in college. You need to make an appointment to meet with a campus specialist, who will review your IEP/504 (bring a copy). They will then determine which accommodations are appropriate for college. You will be provided with paperwork, which you must give directly to each of your professors. This ensures your accommodations. Without the college-approved paperwork, no accommodation requests must be honored by your professors.
Students requiring accommodations should set up a meeting with Cañada’s Disability Resource Center before classes begin. The phone number is 650-306-3259. Ask to speak to Krystal Martinez, the office assistant.
ISP Summer School
Tina's classroom is located at the East Palo Alto Academy, which is one of our district charter schools.The address is:
1050 Mrytle St.
East Palo Alto, CA 94303
The ISP classroom will be open from 9:AM to 1:00 daily.
Please contact Tina the week of June 7th to arrange your first meeting. Her cell phone is (650) 773-2604. Leave her a message with your name and cell # if she doesn't answer.
Class of 2018 Graduates
If possible, bring a plate of sweets (cookies, etc..) to share.
Make sure you are on top of what you need to do if you are walking in your home school graduation. Please refer to the information below if you are participating. Students who do not follow through with requirements will not be allowed to walk in their home school graduation.
All Grads MUST:
- Complete the Senior Survey in Naviance (under the About Me tab) and indicate the college you will attend in the fall on the College tab (if applicable).
- Clear all home school fines.
- Pay for final transcripts to be sent if attending a 4 year college
You can pick up your diploma immediately after your home school graduation, or the week after graduation if you want to avoid the crowds. If you need your college grades on your transcript in order to meet graduation requirements you may need to wait until June 15th to pick up your diploma. Diplomas can be picked up in the home school guidance office.
Congratulations to the Class of 2018!!!
My Summer Availability
I hope all of you have an enjoyable summer break with lots of opportunity to spend time with the people you love.I will be traveling and spending time with family over the summer. I will occasionally check emails, but not daily. Please text me only if you have an emergency or an issue that cannot be resolved in August. You will hear from me the week of August 8th, as I will call you to schedule our initial ISP appointment.