Smithfield 20-21 Back To School
August 13th- Smithfield Virtual Open House (see below)August 14th- Student Material & Technology Pick UP (see below)
August 17th- First Day of School (Remote Instruction begins for ALL)
August 21st- Smithfield Spirit Day
September 7th- No School- Labor Day Holiday
September 28th- No School- Teacher Workday
October 19th- No School -Teacher Workday
To Do List for All Families:
- Attend Virtual Open House 8/13 (see below)
- Pick Up Student Materials on 8/14 (see below)
- Review the supply list (see below)
- Complete the Smithfield Elementary School Student Information form.
- Sign up for Weekly Parent Newsletters
- Sign up for Remind texts
- Review the Smithfield Online Learning Support page
- Review CMS Meal Bundle information (below)
- Sign up for 2 student assessment times using: K-5 BOY Assessment Sign-Up Genius Links
Student Material & Technology Pick Up
- Families will come to the BUS PARKING LOT on Friday, August 14th at the times below to pick up required instructional materials and technology (if needed).
- Purchased EduKits will also be able to pick up during this time.
- If you are unable to come on the 14th, please email email@example.com with the name of the person who will be picking up the materials for you.
- Please wear a mask while interacting with school staff.
Friday, August 14th in Smithfield Bus Parking Lot
Last Name A-F: 9:00am-10:00am
Last Name G-O: 10:00am-11:00am
Last Name P-Z: 11:00am-12:00pm
Make-Up Times for all: 3:00pm-4:00pm
Smithfield Virtual Open House
- Smithfield will be hosting a Virtual Open House on Thursday, August 13th at 5:45pm and 6:45pm
- Classroom Teachers will host two sessions for their families to accommodate families with multiple children.
- Open House ZOOM LINKS can be found HERE.
Smithfield Elementary School Student Information Form (REQUIRED)
- ALL Smithfield families are asked to complete the Smithfield Elementary School Student Information form by 8/17.
- Parents are asked to complete 1 form per student.
The following is the link to Smithfield’s Back to School Packet for the year. Inside you will find the
- CMS school calendar,
- information on re-linking your Harris Teeter VIP card to Smithfield (has to be done yearly!),
- the New Box Tops App, how to stay connected with Smithfield, which is so important this year and
- PTA information
EC Overview for Families
CMS is hosting a virtual meeting for all EC families on Wednesday, August 12th:
Wednesday, August 12th: 10:00AM-11:00AM
Wednesday, August 12th: 6:30PM-7:30PM
Beginning of the Year Assessments
Parents- please follow the Sign Up Link for your child's teacher found on this document to sign-up for 2 slots.
Canvas Sessions for Parents
In preparation for the 2020-2021 school year, we are excited to continue using Canvas as our CMS Learning Management System for students in grades pre-K-12 to ensure a consistent experience for all CMS students and families.
In order to support CMS educators, a Canvas guide has been developed. The CMS Canvas guide is a place to gain access to Canvas information, on demand training videos along with resources for parents and students that are most relevant to our instructional needs for the 2020-2021 school year.
In order to support CMS families, we will host virtual Family nights with the goal of learning:
1. Why we are using Canvas and what to expect
2. How to access the Canvas APP and pair with student account
3. The functions that parents can utilize in Canvas
4. Tips for preparing students for remote learning
Schedule for Canvas Family Session:
August 10th 6:00 pm-7:00pm
August 12th 8:00 am-9:00am
August 14th 12:00pm-1:00pm
Sign Up Here(English): http://bit.ly/CANVASCONNECTS
Sign Up Here (Spanish): http://bit.ly/SPCANVASCONNECT
CMS Meal Bundles
During the first two weeks of school, Aug. 17 – 31, our students will be provided one free breakfast and one free lunch at 40 grab-and-go meal sites across the district each weekday. Our grab-and-go meal sites will be open from 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Starting Sept. 1, meal bundles with five breakfasts and five lunches will be available for students. Meal bundles will be available weekly for pick up at meal sites or delivered to students' bus stops. Meal bundles are free for students who qualify for free or reduced lunch. Students who do not qualify for free or reduced lunch can purchase meal bundles for $15 per week.
This is a great way to serve our students in need and is a creative way to engage our hourly employees in other duties. More communication will be shared soon about this program. Please visit the website and watch the video here for more information.
2020-2021 CMS Meal Benefits
Meal prices will remain the same next year. All students will receive breakfast at no charge. Lunch prices are $2.50, pre-kindergarten; $2.75, kindergarten to eighth grade; and $3, ninth to 12th grade.