News from 5th Grade
Join our facebook page!
- Share pictures
- Go LIVE so you can take a peek in our classrooms
- Communicate with you
- Send reminders of upcoming events, news, etc.
To join, send Ms. Rice your email address associated with your facebook account. You can send it through Class Dojo or email me directly at email@example.com.
Mark your Calendars
1st- PES Spelling Bee
5th & 6th- ELA Common Assessment 2
4th-8th- STAR Reading and Math Assessments
4th- 5th Grade Christmas Lunch
4th- Polar Express Day for 5th Grade (wear pajamas)
7th- Jr Beta Meeting (2:45-3:30PM)
11th- Christmas Pajama Day (or any pajamas)
12th- Tacky Christmas Sweater Day
13th- Grinch Day (or wear green)
14th- Reindeer Day (or wear brown)
15th- Santa & his Elves Day
15th-Christmas Party (9:00AM)
Learning in 5th Grade
Math: Adding and Subtracting Fractions
Info for Parents--
Games for kids--
- equivalent fraction
- benchmark fraction
- mixed number
- improper fraction
- simplest form
ELA: Perspectives in Time
Reading Focus: Informational
Writing Focus: Informational
Grammar Focus: Commas, titles, sentences, dialects, affixes
Anchor Text: The Julian Chapter: A Wonder Story by R.J. Palacio
Topics of Study:
- Text Features & Literary Elements
- Informational/ Explanatory Writing
- Commas, Titles, Sentences, Dialects, Affixes
- summary/ summarize
Social Studies: The Roaring 20ś & The Great Depression
- Jazz Age
- Louis Armstrong
- Harlem Renaissance
- Langston Hughes
- Babe Ruth
- Charles Lindbergh
- Henry Ford
- Great Depression
Student of the Month - Helpful
Student Shout Outs
- Shout out to all parents who attended our field trips in November! We loved having you with us and appreciate your participation.
- Shout out to Lexi Vincent and Arianna Talley for already bringing in cans for our Can Food Drive! Way to serve our community girls!!
- Shout out to Paige Speer, Austin Speer, and Kaci Coffman for their recognition at our Veteranś Day Program! Way to represent 5th Grade!!
- Shout out to Lexy Queen, Sarah Green, Kylie Wilkerson, Win Forrester-Barlow, Cali Mahler, and Lexi Vincent for participating in the DAR American History Essay Contest! Good luck on your submissions!
- Homework is given weekly with daily due dates for us to go over in class
- Homework covers skills we have already taught in class
- 20 minutes of reading and completing the reading log is required daily
- Students who have not mastered their multiplication facts, will be given additional homework to assist in mastering these facts
Class Dojo can be accessed to review behavior and classroom updates. You can also send direct messages to teachers or view classroom announcements.
Use education galaxy to practice your math, ELA, science and social studies skills. Please have your student work under the "My Study Plan" section, as "Assignments" must be completed at school.
Raz-Kids is an award-winning teaching product that provides comprehensive leveled reading resources for students. Kids access their leveled text through an interactive learning portal designed to keep them motivated and engaged.