2021 Lunar New Year: Year of the Ox
February 12, 2021
We wish our community a Happy Lunar New Year!
Friday, Feb. 12, marks the start of the Lunar New Year, which is tied to the year’s first new moon. This Lunar New Year marks the official transition out of the Year of the Rat into the Year of the Ox. The ox is the second animal of the Chinese zodiac and symbolizes hard work, positivity, and fertile harvest.The new year is a time for family celebrations and traditions. Even though we will miss the live parades and multi-day festivals that usually occur in the Bay Area, COVID-19, however, will not dampen the holiday spirit. May this new year be filled with good health, happiness, prosperity, and many precious moments with your loved ones.
Denounce Violence Against Asian Americans
An OUSD parent put together the resources below. I hope you'll take a moment to check them out to see how you can support our Asian, Asian American, and Pacific Islander families.
To learn more about recent spate of violence:
- Covid fueled anti-Asian racism. Now elderly Asian Americans are being attacked.
- Rise in attacks on elderly Asian Americans in Bay Area prompts new special response unit
- Grandmother, 70, Robbed on Her Way Home From the Bank in Oakland
- Watch this press event
- Ongoing coverage at The Oaklandside
- APEN is hosting a vigil this weekend
- Good Good Eatz is doing a virtual (via instagram) lunar new year celebration starting on February 12th
- Volunteer for a foot patrol to protect the elderly
Groups to support:
- AAPI Women Lead
- Chinatown Coalition
- Chinatown Improvement Initiative
- Asian Health Services
- Asian Prisoner Support Committee
- Stop AAPI Hate
- Vietnamese American Community Center of the East Bay (they have a fundraising campaign going on right now due to a fire)
Follow these social media accounts on instagram:
Much love and appreciation to you all!