By: Ari Purvis, Kaelyn Dausch, TJ Frieson, &Lewis waters
What is Anxiety?
~A condition or feeling of uneasy and worried about what may happen
Causes and Reduction
- time management
- relaxation techniques
- deep breathing
- redirect energy (exercise, music)
- seek support
Anxiety vs. Depression
- Different types- phobia, OCD, panic disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorders
- 13% of people ages 9-17 experience anxiety
- many people turn to alcohol and drugs
- As many as 40 million people in the US alone suffer from some type of anxiety issue.
- Anxiety can be genetic as well as psychological.
- Anxiety can be associated with your surroundings.
- General tension and stress can have no trigger; it can occur for what seems to be no reason.
- Anxiety can be a learned behavior.
- Anxiety makes a person pessimistic.
"I was 23, a millionaire and had everything, yet I was never more unhappy in my life," Williams said. "I felt extremely isolated from my friends and family because I couldn't explain to them what I was feeling. I had no idea what was wrong with me."
Fortunately for Williams, a good friend suggested that he see a therapist. "When I first met Williams, he could hardly look me in the eye," said Janey Barnes, the therapist who diagnosed him and started his treatment program. "Like most people with this condition, Williams thought he was just shy or strange, but it was clear to me that his anxiety was debilitating, which is very different than shyness. Luckily, social anxiety disorder is highly treatable."
Williams made dramatic improvements once he was diagnosed and started treatment. "I understand that a lot of people, especially men, look up to me because of my profession, so I have a chance to reach out to people and let them know what I've been through and how treatment has made my life so much better," he said. "If my story can help even one person to seek help, it will feel as though I've scored the game-winning touchdown.""